Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

cutiepie

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a rural entrant that got into Med this year with a GPA in the low 7s?? The maximum GPA I can get for Otago at the moment is between 7.4-7.5. I'm not feeling so confident about my chances right and any little encouragement out there would really help!

Also, how many times can you apply for Otago med?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a rural entrant that got into Med this year with a GPA in the low 7s?? The maximum GPA I can get for Otago at the moment is between 7.4-7.5. I'm not feeling so confident about my chances right and any little encouragement out there would really help!

Also, how many times can you apply for Otago med?

NZ Med and Dent Place Offers 2018 - Collated Data

I can’t help with part B.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Anyone have an estimate of what the GPA cut-off will be this year? Hearing some people say it will go upto 8.5! That seems crazy!

Hi,

I think that is a hard question to answer. A lot of factors to consider and I doubt any student would have adequate data and the skills to analyse such data. Hence, I would think their predictions have no scientific basis. This is a classic rumour that goes around every single year that I have been around, regardless or which university/categories. On the other hand, 8.5? Why not? I seems entirely possible. I know this is cliché and it's easier said than done, but it's probably not much use for you to worry about.

Loggz

As far as I understand it, they count your top 120 points from each year. This comes to 7 papers (with the seventh paper counting slightly less than the others). They then multiply the GPA points (9 for A+, 8 for A etc.) by the number of points the paper is worth (18 in Otago for the most part). Then they add the entire year's worth together and multiply it by 0.5 in first year, 1.0 in second year, and 1.5 in third year, and then divide by 120 for each year. The exemplar they have is:
http://www.otago.ac.nz/healthsciences/otago089542.pdf
There are excel sheets, and I have made one myself, that allow you to input your grades and it will calculate what your GPA is.

It is very important to take at least 7 papers in the year. You have to reach that 120 points or you will be badly disadvantaging yourself (if they only have 108 points to calculate from, they will still divide by 120). A lot of people take 8 papers just in case one doesn't go well :)
Hi do you have avaliable the excel spreedsheet? Thanks

Offset

Does anyone know or have any experience with applying for a recount for an exam? How often is it successful? I've missed out on an A+ by 1% :eek:

alsa

Lurker
Does anyone know or have any experience with applying for a recount for an exam? How often is it successful? I've missed out on an A+ by 1% :eek:

I feel you, I missed out on an A+ by 0.5%!
you reckon I could email the lecturer and ask for it to be rounded up lol?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

In my opinion based on anecdotes and personal experience, recounts are not worth the trouble. You can do it yourself by viewing your exam scripts and examining your internal marks. If you identify any fault, let the department know and they will/should fix it for you. Recounts are, as you should know, done by a third party to check that the numbers are recorded correctly.

I feel you, I missed out on an A+ by 0.5%!
you reckon I could email the lecturer and ask for it to be rounded up lol?

Hi,

I don't believe that is going to happen. Are you sure you missed out by 0.5%? The final grade gets rounded up to 2-significant figures. That is, if you truly achieved 89.5%, it will get rounded to 90%. I hear this from time to time, and most of the time it's due to an error on the student's part.

Although, I have heard of one case where the recount actually had a fruitful ending.

Hi,

I'm currently completing a BSci at University of Auckland and I'm looking into applying for medicine entry at Otago for the 2019 intake. I initially was studying Computer Science and Biology but I swapped over to a chemistry major and am completing it over 2018/2019. I only have 14 mandatory papers remaining in order to complete my degree and I am doing 7 per year. I saw on the Otago medicine entry website that there's weighting for the 3 years required to complete your degree, however, I've completed mine over 4. Also, since I am only doing 7 papers per year rather than 8, will this affect my weighted GPA / entry to post-grad medicine at Otago?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

I'm currently completing a BSci at University of Auckland and I'm looking into applying for medicine entry at Otago for the 2019 intake. I initially was studying Computer Science and Biology but I swapped over to a chemistry major and am completing it over 2018/2019. I only have 14 mandatory papers remaining in order to complete my degree and I am doing 7 per year. I saw on the Otago medicine entry website that there's weighting for the 3 years required to complete your degree, however, I've completed mine over 4. Also, since I am only doing 7 papers per year rather than 8, will this affect my weighted GPA / entry to post-grad medicine at Otago?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hi Anchor Milk,

Welcome to MSO.

Otago will typically use all four years (120-points per year), which isn't a huge problem. However, you are likely to be disadvantaged by only taking seven papers (if they are all 15-point papers). I highly recommend to checking with the admissions just in case they will make an exception. Although, Otago seems to be quite strict with the regulations.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Hi Anchor Milk,

Welcome to MSO.

Otago will typically use all four years (120-points per year), which isn't a huge problem. However, you are likely to be disadvantaged by only taking seven papers (if they are all 15-point papers). I highly recommend to checking with the admissions just in case they will make an exception. Although, Otago seems to be quite strict with the regulations.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the help Stuart! I'll chuck them an email tommorow. Also, are the UMAT requirements for Otago a lot more important than Auckland for postgrad entry?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for the help Stuart! I'll chuck them an email tommorow. Also, are the UMAT requirements for Otago a lot more important than Auckland for postgrad entry?

Hi,

You are very welcome. I am always happy to help.

The UMAT component works differently at Otago. They use thresholds for each sections. For example, the estimated threshold for S1, S2 and S3 has been around 25%ile. The thresholds are determined by the admissions each year and they do not make them public.