Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
NIE

If I am getting a useless score for non-rural now, then do I have any hope?

You do definitively have hope. On the day you could quite literally smash it. Don't let one exam score dissuade you. Give it your absolute best shot on Wednesday and let fate take hold of how you go. After all there is always graduate entry.
Good luck!

A1

Rookie Doc
ETA: also, not sure what you mean by “about half the cohort”. Both the annual UTAS MBBS cohort and the year 12 group from that school have ~120+ students.

Apology for the confusion. I do remember thinking at the time it was about half of something. Probably I went on previous stats of 100 spots less 20 guaranteed for BMedRes + 20 to non-standards & interstate rurals, so 30 would be about half of 60 offers to Tas Y12s.

toulouse

NIE

I swear I saw someone say once that NIE exams were harder than the real thing. Ive never done their exams so I wouldn't know but yeah. Aren't prep course exams usually made harder than the real thing to 'prepare' you well

You do definitively have hope. On the day you could quite literally smash it. Don't let one exam score dissuade you. Give it your absolute best shot on Wednesday and let fate take hold of how you go. After all there is always graduate entry.
Good luck!
Thanks!

A1

Rookie Doc

So sorry for using the word useless, I hope my post has not discouraged you. I did say if that was for the real test and as has been said, getting 84 now doesn't mean you will only get 84 real.

jiaxing

For those who bought the two additional questions resources from ACER, were any of those questions from past actual UMAT papers?
It seems that only ACER exam 4 had questions from the 2016 and 2017 UMAT exams

We figure that the questions don't end up giving equal marks i.e. some could be just 1 mark & some could be 3-4 marks. So 100 questions would typically (in our guesstimate) give 200 marks, and if you manage to score the 34 upper-end ones you'd get another 100 marks.
The ACER UMAT Information Booklet states that "All questions have the same value; therefore by attempting as many questions as possible you stand the best chance of maximising your score." (https://umat.acer.edu.au/files/UMAT_info_book_18.pdf) (Page 9)

I'm sure you've come across this too, but what are your thoughts on it? I genuinely don't mean to come off as disrespectful, but I've seen your theory show up in numerous different places so I am a little confused.

Thank you.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
The ACER UMAT Information Booklet states that "All questions have the same value; therefore by attempting as many questions as possible you stand the best chance of maximising your score." (https://umat.acer.edu.au/files/UMAT_info_book_18.pdf) (Page 9)

I'm sure you've come across this too, but what are your thoughts on it? I genuinely don't mean to come off as disrespectful, but I've seen your theory show up in numerous different places so I am a little confused.

Thank you.

We’ve discussed this multiple times, including in this thread very recently. ETA: check around July 1st posts.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
The ACER UMAT Information Booklet states that "All questions have the same value;

That's what ACER says, and it can be justified by ACER giving the same "raw value" to each correct answer. However after manipulation they definitely end up being different score values. Here's my proof:

If all questions were to have the same score value each S1 question must be 100/48 = 2.08 marks right? But I have shown we have had S1 scores of 53, 54, 55, 57, 58... reported in the same year. Can you figure out how multiples of 2.08 can come to totals with increment of 1 like 53, 54, 55 - it's mathematically impossible.

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
For those who bought the two additional questions resources from ACER, were any of those questions from past actual UMAT papers?
It seems that only ACER exam 4 had questions from the 2016 and 2017 UMAT exams

The resources ACER provides are from past UMAT papers according to them, not neccesarily limited to exams from recent years. It is only due to the fact that ACER practice paper 4 is new that people have been able to explicitly identify questions from the 2016 & 2017 UMAT.

entirety

The resources ACER provides are from past UMAT papers according to them, not neccesarily limited to exams from recent years. It is only due to the fact that ACER practice paper 4 is new that people have been able to explicitly identify questions from the 2016 & 2017 UMAT.
Really?? So are old ACER exams easier or are the ACER exams just the "easier" UMAT questions?

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
I sincerely hope the real Umat is roughly the same difficulty as practice exam 4. It likely won’t be but one can hope!

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
Really?? So are old ACER exams easier or are the ACER exams just the "easier" UMAT questions?

The UMAT has changed considerably over the years, considering that the practice papers were released at different periods of time this may just be the nature of the exams changing. Despite this, it would be in ACER's advantage to release 'easier' questions rather than more difficult questions and I suspect this may have been what they have done (as the practice tests are far easier than the real UMAT). Although I have been told the new PT4 is the most similar out of them all (gunna do this one tomorrow lol). So yea, I'd say they pretty much are the easier questions from past papers.

Bit of a longshot but would a kind soul on here be happy to lend me their medentry account just for like an hour so I can see the worked solutions for Test 4?

Don't wanna pay a crazy amount of money for their course since it apparently will expire in 2 days...

entirety

The UMAT has changed considerably over the years, considering that the practice papers were released at different periods of time this may just be the nature of the exams changing. Despite this, it would be in ACER's advantage to release 'easier' questions rather than more difficult questions and I suspect this may have been what they have done (as the practice tests are far easier than the real UMAT). Although I have been told the new PT4 is the most similar out of them all (gunna do this one tomorrow lol). So yea, I'd say they pretty much are the easier questions from past papers.
Yeah that makes sense I guess. And same I'm going to do it tomorrow but I kinda don't want to, because I know if I do bad it will really affect my confidence tbh... regardless I'm gonna have to do it because I didn't pay $35 for nothing

Oh and Melbourne PM (thank god) session

toulouse

For the cochlear questions in Acer prac test 4, were the questions the exact same does anyone remember? (I only remember the stimulus being the same)

jamesatwestbeach

Flinders MD 2024
My memory of last years exam seems to have escaped me, does anyone remember if they announced how much time you had left on the clock when your getting down to the last 30, 15, 5 minutes? Or just an idea of what times they do call out during the exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.