Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UMAT 2018 Debrief Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Unlocked (because I have dissection lab when I had been hoping to do this :D)

YOU MADE IT THROUGH! WOOT!

For those sitting the morning session of the exam, be mindful of the fact that there are thousands of people who could potentially benefit from you posting a word for word rendition of an actual exam question (not just afternoon exams takers, but also those sitting the exam in, for example, London or the US where time-zones will play a role). I strongly recommend keeping the question-specific discussions out of the public forums until all exams have been completed.

FYI: 2017 results were released unexpectedly on September 5th. This was considerably earlier than previous years. We have no idea what to expect for 2018.

Last edited:
L

Logic

Hi friends! Hope it all went well :) I thought I would put together some questions in case any one was curious .

1. When do results come out?
As LMG! has mentioned above, last year they came out on the 5th of September, which was much earlier than previous years and what ACER had said was the release date (previous years had been late September). ACER's website now reads "mid-September". So we are probably looking for an earlier release than previous years and more in line with that one of last year.

2. My friends had different questions to me in the exam. Why?
While ACER derives it's questions for all the exams from a single question bank, not everyone will have the same questions. This I have heard is a mechanism to prevent cheating and also note that questions that you have in common will most likely be in different orders. Furthermore, ACER likes to include what are known as "test" questions. Which they are basically seeing how the cohort will perform on that specific question to determine whether they implement it in the following year or not. There really is no way to determine what is a "test" question or not but you can try and guess based on what you think is a completely new question type.

3. I felt like I did poorly on the exam.
This is a common one. Not many people can say they felt like they confidently finished the UMAT (although there are a few). It is meant to be time intensive and differentiate applicants, so obviously the vast majority of people will find it harder than what they're used to in exams such as school . Also, UMAT is based off the performance of everyone else too, you may have felt that you performed poorly but others may have performed poorer and so keep that in mind. How people interpret they did, is also subjective. Those who may not think they did well, can actually end up doing better than expected. (TLDR: Don't worry about how you think you did unless you like missed out on half the paper or something)

4. What now?
Now that the exam is over, be sure to relax :) Remember that there's nothing you can do to change how your exam went so there is no need to stress yourself over it. For those in NSW, a lot of you will have trials beginning at around this time, don't forget to do some study for those too ;) .

Feel free to post your ideas, concerns and expectations of the exam! and ask any questions if you have any (although keep in mind to not to explicitly state questions so as not to disadvantage anyone.

(If there is anything incorrect here, feel free to edit/remove mods)

toulouse

I survived it yay! Now here's to two months of Netflix and wasting my time while waiting for the dreaded results lol. Honestly would've preferred morning session over afternoon session any day.

:yay:

L

Logic

At least I’m confident I’m going to JCU now!
You probably did better than you think! It's hard to gauge where you are within the percentiles because you can't be sure how everyone else performed, how much a question was worth etc. Best of luck!! :D

Chrismm

I’m 99% sure that the section 3 stars Question was in 1 of the Acer practice tests. I think practice test 3 or 4.

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
If anyone wishes to help me make a question compilation for next year’s student please PM me :)
Do NOT post anything here (edited by mod: YET! Do not post anything here... YET! You definitely can later).

Things I think would be useful for next year’s students
section 1: types of questions (graphs, number games, stat analysis etc)
Section 2: types of question stems, types of intersections/passages etc
Section 3: common patterns, types of questions, new patterns etc

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Logic

If anyone wishes to help me make a question compilation for next year’s student please PM me :)
Do NOT post anything here (edited by mod: YET! Do not post anything here... YET! You definitely can later).

Things I think would be useful for next year’s students
section 1: types of questions (graphs, number games, stat analysis etc)
Section 2: types of question stems, types of intersections/passages etc
Section 3: common patterns, types of questions, new patterns etc
I would not recommend doing this. ACER has stated "using the test questions, their content or information about them for purposes other than your sitting of UMAT is prohibited. This includes: publishing the UMAT questions or any of their content or information about them on the internet, any digital format or otherwise; and/or passing the UMAT questions, any of their content or information about them to third parties". Doing so may be classified as misconduct.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I would not recommend doing this. ACER has stated "using the test questions, their content or information about them for purposes other than your sitting of UMAT is prohibited. This includes: publishing the UMAT questions or any of their content or information about them on the internet, any digital format or otherwise; and/or passing the UMAT questions, any of their content or information about them to third parties". Doing so may be classified as misconduct.

Up to individuals. Lots of us did it last year and didn’t hear a peep from ACER. Others didn’t want to participate and that’s also fine.

ETA: for the duration of MSO’s existence, no member has had, or heard of a non-member having, contact from ACER post exam on this topic. Whether they decide to crack down on it this year/in the future, who knows.

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff

Makes you wonder how the prep companies got away with it for so long...

WELL DONE and a giant pat on the back to anyone who's already come out of the exam, and best wishes to everyone currently/yet to sit it.

If you feel like you did great- awesome!
If you feel like you didn't- most people feel this way (also the exam might have been harder than usual this year, you never know) and your percentile is likely a LOT higher than you thought it would be. There's no way of telling until results come out.

Give yourself the rest of the day off of you can. It's full speed ahead for the rest of Year 12 :)

A1

Rookie Doc
Let's have a brief discussion of your strategy and time management: did you do sequentially or by sections, in what order, and did you finish in time or had to blind guess a number of (how many) questions at the end etc.

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
Up to individuals. Lots of us did it last year and didn’t hear a peep from ACER. Others didn’t want to participate and that’s also fine.

ETA: for the duration of MSO’s existence, no member has had, or heard of a non-member having, contact from ACER post exam on this topic. Whether they decide to crack down on it this year/in the future, who knows.

We don’t hear from the dead O.O

Status
Not open for further replies.