Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship: Victoria Explanation and Questions

VeronicaHoran

What sort of volunteering activities, leaderships roles and extracurricular achievements would be good to include on the CV for Victorian internship application? I'm not sure what sort of things I should get involved in during my time at med school.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
What sort of volunteering activities, leaderships roles and extracurricular achievements would be good to include on the CV for Victorian internship application? I'm not sure what sort of things I should get involved in during my time at med school.

What are you interested in? What hospital do you want to work at? There isn't a list of "do this and you'll be right", the things I've most got involved in have been things I was (obviously) interested in, doing them because they were interesting rather than because they looked good on my CV.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Pretty low. At my hospital network, we had no successful applicants from interstate. Your best bet are peripheral metro networks (maybe), or smaller regional/rural networks.

VeronicaHoran

What about moving to Victoria from interstate after internship year? So for example the year after internship, what do I have to do to be able to get in? Thanks!

YinZh11

Lurker
Hey guys, just wondering, if I haven't been shortlisted for the interview, would I still get matched with the hospital?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hey guys, just wondering, if I haven't been shortlisted for the interview, would I still get matched with the hospital?

As a general rule, if you are not invited to interview for a job where selection includes an interview, then no, you won't get matched with the hospital. In states where you normally get allocated a position without an interview (such as in most of NSW for internship) then if you don't interview, that's normal.

However, in Victoria, where internships are merit based and competitive due to this - there may be a handful of exceptions to this rule and these tend to be in relatively more undersubscribed hospitals. If you're looking to get into a very popular hospital (RMH/Alfred/St.V/Austin), and interviews have gone out, and you haven't got one, you're probably out of the running, so you should probably re-evaluate where you think you would feasibly like to go.

Last edited:

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff

At Monash Health last year, they accepted quite a number of people they did not interview. As a result, if my info is correct, they didn't interview anyone this year.

Alfred / RMH / Austin / StV would all be in-demand enough to never be in that situation.

VeronicaHoran

Hi everyone :)

I'm looking for some guidance and advice about how to build my CV in preparation for internship applications. Firstly, specifically about the Victorian standardised CV, how many pages should it be ideally and to be competitive? Secondly in relation to extracurricular activities, the Victorian CV template says extracurricular achievements, and I'm just wondering what sort of activities you can do that allow you to 'achieve' something? For example if you just play sport for leisure, you couldn't really list that because its not an achievement. Also in regards to leadership positions, does anyone have any suggestions about things you can get involved in which provide leadership opportunities, other than uni clubs?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks in advance!

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone :)

I'm looking for some guidance and advice about how to build my CV in preparation for internship applications. Firstly, specifically about the Victorian standardised CV, how many pages should it be ideally and to be competitive? Secondly in relation to extracurricular activities, the Victorian CV template says extracurricular achievements, and I'm just wondering what sort of activities you can do that allow you to 'achieve' something? For example if you just play sport for leisure, you couldn't really list that because its not an achievement. Also in regards to leadership positions, does anyone have any suggestions about things you can get involved in which provide leadership opportunities, other than uni clubs?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks in advance!

I've merged your post into the appropriate thread. Someone here should be able to help.

chinaski

You should concentrate on quality, not quantity WRT CVs. DO NOT fall into the trap of thinking that "more pages means my CV is better".

VeronicaHoran

You should concentrate on quality, not quantity WRT CVs. DO NOT fall into the trap of thinking that "more pages means my CV is better".
Ok thanks this makes sense. I'm just wondering how many pages people usually have, like what's the average number? I just want to get an idea of how much stuff I should be doing.

chinaski

I can't tell you how many pages people usually have, but you should not be connecting CV length with quality or an indication of "how much stuff" you should be doing. I mean, if I said someone has a CV that is 10 pages long, would you think that was impressive or representative of a competitive candidate? How would you know? What if 9 out of those 10 pages was full of filler crap that was largely irrelevant?

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I can't tell you how many pages people usually have, but you should not be connecting CV length with quality or an indication of "how much stuff" you should be doing. I mean, if I said someone has a CV that is 10 pages long, would you think that was impressive or representative of a competitive candidate? How would you know? What if 9 out of those 10 pages was full of filler crap that was largely irrelevant?

Judging by your posts you seem to be a first year student (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure which state you're studying in, but if it's Victoria, focus on doing well for now as your grades matter. Unless you have prior research experience anything now isn't likely to contribute much. In any instance, as chinaski has mentioned, focus on quality and on doing well in medical school for now.
There is no "stock standard" approach to the CV. Also remember that your references matter as well. In short, the CV is not the be all and end all. Read pi's original posts for more details.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
The things I (...and hopefully employers) value most on my CV were not things I did for the CV, but came about because of an interest I had and then subsequent opportunities I was given. If you're in the early stages of medical school, show your interest and be around the action, your CV will start to fill itself.

VeronicaHoran

I know that internship depends on our Z-score, but could someone please give me an idea about the sort of raw marks (percentages, eg 80-90%) we should be getting in exams and assessments throughout med school to get into the competitive hospitals, like St Vincent's? Like is averaging say 70% in general enough or not? I’m a first year btw

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

L

Logic

I know that internship depends on our Z-score, but could someone please give me an idea about the sort of raw marks (percentages, eg 80-90%) we should be getting in exams and assessments throughout med school to get into the competitive hospitals, like St Vincent's? Like is averaging say 70% in general enough or not? I’m a first year btw

Thanks in advance :)
Just to clarify, you are in a Victorian medical school?

A1

Rookie Doc
No I’m actaully interstate, but I’m from Victoria and want to come back, which is why I’m stressing cos I know it’s hard to do

The current VIC internship priority system makes no special allowance for home-state returning grads. As such you would be ranked in the third/lowest category, behind Vic-medschool domestic grads then int'l grads. Be prepared for the situation in the future there might not be enough spots for all Vic int'l grads let alone a desirable spot left for you.

Even if they can fit you in, the question is will they mix you in with your Z-score or leave you out of the allocation until the other two categories have all got their locations.