Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU Dentistry 2019 offers/acceptances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS169

CSU's first round offers took about 3 weeks after the interview to be released. From my experience, CSU is very holistic unlike schools like UQ where you get screened out for not meeting their cutoff. According to Oztrekk, there were 7 acceptances after the first round, and I saw this other guy on SDN getting a second round offer.

JCU has already sent out 6-7 early offers in the beginning of July according to Oztrekk. The program should be half full by now.

Definitely do the DAT. It will open more options. You can at least apply for Sydney and UWA if your DAT is high enough (eg. 22+ for UWA interview and 19-20 for Sydney MMI).
I will most likely end up writing the DAT if I am not accepted this year. I was informed that JCU sends out early offers but only to those who they consider highly qualified candidates so I was not really sure who would fall into that category. I have sent my application and am hoping for the best but do have Adelaide as a backup option. From all the dental schools they have the most spots available for international students (~40).

bch.Sarah

Congrats to you too. I'll probably do the dorm for first year. Eventually I would like to move out to apartments.

Applications for residence open next week; I am planning the same. If you applied through OzTrekk I hope to meet you at the fall meet up if they're still planning to have them!

Junec

Applications for residence open next week; I am planning the same. If you applied through OzTrekk I hope to meet you at the fall meet up if they're still planning to have them!
Looking forward to meet you too. I'm in BC. I believe Oztrekk will still do the pre-departure meetup.

Where did you see about residency application opening next week? Good that I know now cuz I was assuming it wont be open until fall.

Junec

I will most likely end up writing the DAT if I am not accepted this year. I was informed that JCU sends out early offers but only to those who they consider highly qualified candidates so I was not really sure who would fall into that category. I have sent my application and am hoping for the best but do have Adelaide as a backup option. From all the dental schools they have the most spots available for international students (~40).

All the best. I did not apply to Adelaide as they require interview in Toronto and the PQA test. It looks like they have similar number of spots like Sydney and UWA.

Adelaide is a solid school. I know this one UBC dentistry prof is from there.

bch.Sarah

Where did you see about residency application opening next week? Good that I know now cuz I was assuming it wont be open until fall.

Logon to CSU student portal, go to Uni Life tab, scroll down to accommodation, select 'Find on campus accommodation', and on the next page has all the info.
I just looked again they pushed it back another week from August 4th to the 20th when the accommodation applications open.
Hope that helps

I'm from Eastern Ontario so I guess we will meet in school instead! Best wishes

Junec

Logon to CSU student portal, go to Uni Life tab, scroll down to accommodation, select 'Find on campus accommodation', and on the next page has all the info.
I just looked again they pushed it back another week from August 4th to the 20th when the accommodation applications open.
Hope that helps

I'm from Eastern Ontario so I guess we will meet in school instead! Best wishes

Thanks. I found it in student portal. They should’ve at least sent us an email as a heads up. I didn’t know about it until seeing your post.

Tomato

Have heard so many Canadian students study dentistry in Australia. Just feel curious if the cost you study dentistry as a domestic student in Canada similar to the cost here as an international student? The reason you guys think it is easier to get into dentistry here may be because the requirements for international students are a bit lower than the domestic students.

CS169

Have heard so many Canadian students study dentistry in Australia. Just feel curious if the cost you study dentistry as a domestic student in Canada similar to the cost here as an international student? The reason you guys think it is easier to get into dentistry here may be because the requirements for international students are a bit lower than the domestic students.
It depends on the province we live in. For example in BC the dental.school costs around 60000 per year and the one in Alberta is about 40000 per year. Since the programs are four years we won't be paying as much in Canada as we do in Australia. I think the main reason why people apply to Australia is because you can apply straight out of high school and save yourself some time. We have to complete our bachelors degree first and keep a high GPA. I know a lot of people that have 3.80 GPAs and had to apply three times or more just to get accepted in Canada. When we apply to australia 3.50 and higher GPAs usually translate to a 7 on their scales and most of the schools I have contacted said 75+ was competitive. If we apply with anything less than a 3.80 in Canada we will most likely not get accepted. Its mainly a choice of completing dental school by the time we are 22 or starting dental school by the time we are 22 if applying in Canada. If it takes three years to get in (worst case) you would be 25/26 and by the time you graduate you will be 30 before you start working as a dentist so I think its better getting the head start

jiaxing

Hi! I've accepted my offer to Charles Sturt University for Bachelor of Dental Science starting the beginning of March 2019. I would like to connect with anyone else who has accepted their offer. I'm an international student coming from Canada and I'm looking forward to coming to CSU.

Congrats on your offer!
I am a domestic student, but I am interested in Dentistry at CSU. What was your GPA? Also, do international students have to sit the ISAT or equivalent?

bch.Sarah

Congrats on your offer!
I am a domestic student, but I am interested in Dentistry at CSU. What was your GPA? Also, do international students have to sit the ISAT or equivalent?

The GPA I graduated with was 6.83 on a 10 scale (uOttawa has a weird scale) it converts to about a 3.2ish GPA or about a 73 average. I will say my GPA is very skewed... I did extremely poor in my first and a half year of undergrad which makes it lower but my last two and half years I held a solid 85% in almost all my classes.

I do not know what the ISAT is and did not write it. I wrote the DAT twice and got an academic average of 19 both times if that helps at all.

bch.Sarah

The cost of studying internationally in Australia instead of domestically in Canada is significantly higher even if you just consider tuition (Up to $300,000 more). Consider travel and living expenses and books and all that fun stuff I think you could expect to spend a extra $20000 to $30000 a year being in Australia on top of that. Very daunting.

Almost all the people I know who applied to dental school in Australia did so because of the higher chances of getting in... Canadian school are too competitive for students who are good student but couldn't rock a perfect GPA.

Tomato

The cost of studying internationally in Australia instead of domestically in Canada is significantly higher even if you just consider tuition (Up to $300,000 more). Consider travel and living expenses and books and all that fun stuff I think you could expect to spend a extra $20000 to $30000 a year being in Australia on top of that. Very daunting.

Almost all the people I know who applied to dental school in Australia did so because of the higher chances of getting in... Canadian school are too competitive for students who are good student but couldn't rock a perfect GPA.

That makes sense. CSU has the cheapest tuition fees and the living expenses in Orange should be much cheaper than that in the big cities.

bch.Sarah

Hello! I've also accepted my offer at CSU for 2019 and I'm also from Canada.

Congrats did you apply with Oztrekk? I am from Eastern Ontario and am planning to attend their meet up session when they announce it. If you're on this side of Canada and are able to make it I'll be happy to see you there. If not see you in Feburary! I'm hoping that being connected with some people early will be beneficial.

Yulia

Congrats did you apply with Oztrekk? I am from Eastern Ontario and am planning to attend their meet up session when they announce it. If you're on this side of Canada and are able to make it I'll be happy to see you there. If not see you in Feburary! I'm hoping that being connected with some people early will be beneficial.

Thank you, congratulations to you too! Yes, I did. I am from Alberta, so I guess we'll see each other in February! I was thinking that as well, that would definitely help in regards choosing the accommodation, and figuring out things like that. Would you like to talk more over email or something like that?

Stiga

Hey guys I’m a Canadian currently in dent at CSU! If anyone has any questions or anything they need clarified, feel free to shoot me a message!!

Heytea

Hey guys I’m a Canadian currently in dent at CSU! If anyone has any questions or anything they need clarified, feel free to shoot me a message!!

How do you like your experience so far? Also, what is the age range of students in the program? Thanks!

Stiga

How do you like your experience so far? Also, what is the age range of students in the program? Thanks!
Hey so far it’s been good, definitely some ups and downs as with any program I’m sure, but overall the experience has been pretty cool! The age range is pretty big actually, in first year you’ll have some school leavers who are 17-18 (I know crazy right?), all the way to mature students who are around 31-32. I’ve found the majority sit around 19-21.

Saane

Hey so far it’s been good, definitely some ups and downs as with any program I’m sure, but overall the experience has been pretty cool! The age range is pretty big actually, in first year you’ll have some school leavers who are 17-18 (I know crazy right?), all the way to mature students who are around 31-32. I’ve found the majority sit around 19-21.

Thats definitely a big age group!!
Ive accepted my offer, of coarse waiting on tuition fee conditions. What year are you in for dentistry?

Heytea

Thats definitely a big age group!!
Ive accepted my offer, of coarse waiting on tuition fee conditions. What year are you in for dentistry?

Hey! When you accepted the offer, did you have to pay a deposit fee? I have been given an offer, haven’t accepted yet but I don’t see anything about a deposit fee! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.