Preferred University: Adelaide/Monash but I'll take literally anywhere
Course Type:
Both
Application type: School leaver
State: South Australia
Rural: No
Indigenous Applicant:
No
GWS: No (assuming this means Greater Western Sydney)
Other Bonuses:
No

Question/s:
Can I get into med/dentistry anywhere? My ATAR at worst will be 98.8 but could go up to 99.4-99.7; my interview skills are quite good if that helps. (p.s. I do IB if that adds any points, likely not)

Confirmed what the others said re: Dentistry. Probably add in LaTrobe dent too into the mix.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone know if the ATAR cut off varies at Nathan compared to Gold Coast for Griffith?
Yes - these are two different preferences on QTAC and therefore have 2 different cutoff scores. As a past guide, the cutoffs have been around 99.70 for Nathan and 99.80 for Gold Coast in the first round. During the second round the cutoff may drop - last year it dropped to 99.65 based on MSO offers data, though I wouldn’t count on it dropping this low in future.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
hey guys what is the code for melbourne uni's direct entry?

By direct entry do you mean the Chancellor's pathway (which is anything but direct) or the graduate pathway (which requires a completed degree and prerequisites in anatomy/physiology/biochemistry)?

__vicco

Lurker
I think UNSW is worth a shot considering your 95%ile. We believe GPA 6.23 is given 99 (if 3 years completed) or 98.5 (in 3rd year), either will combine with 97.6 to 98.x possibly enough to get an interview.

Just double checking, the UNSW pathway for non standard applicants would be by enrolling in the UNSW Bachelor of Medical Science and transferring 'laterally' later on?

A1

Rookie Doc
Just double checking, the UNSW pathway for non standard applicants would be by enrolling in the UNSW Bachelor of Medical Science and transferring 'laterally' later on?

Yes that's the one. Bear in mind many seniors here on MSO advise to consider any MedSc choice carefully before enrolling. In addition the UNSW MedSc transfer pathway (different to applying as non-standard) provides only 10 or fewer Med places to likely a few hundreds in the MedSc cohort.

__vicco

Lurker
Yes that's the one. Bear in mind many seniors here on MSO advise to consider any MedSc choice carefully before enrolling. In addition the UNSW MedSc transfer pathway (different to applying as non-standard) provides only 10 or fewer Med places to likely a few hundreds in the MedSc cohort.

Perfect. Thanks for all your advice :^ )

Yes, note that although called round 2 it's actually the first round to Y12 based on ATARs.

A reminder even when you don't get the USyd offer you must change UNSW Med to 1st pref. If you didn't you might get offered USyd in the Jan round thus barring you from receiving a UNSW Med offer.

So if I put #1 USyd #2 UNSW in Dec Round 2, if I got the USyd offer, then it will be a confirmed offer and then I could remove USyd entirely from the list and put UNSW back to #1 for Jan Round 1. But if I do not get an email for the UNSW Med interview, can I assume that I am out and I could remove UNSW Med from the preference list?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Overall UMAT Score: 243
Section One: 87
Section Two: 56
Section Three: 100
Overall Percentile Rank: 100
Estimated ATAR/GPA: high 98 or low 99
Preferred University: UQ
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: School leaver
State: QLD
Rural: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
GWS: ???
Other Bonuses: 2 QTAC Bonus ranks from Maths C

I hope those bonus ranks help scrape me into the ATAR 99 minimum cut-off. I wouldn't want my UMAT score to go to waste.
More motivation to work extra hard- that is an insane score! :eek: Congrats!!!
Predicted atar is often conservative so I wouldn't be surprised if you actually got 99, especially with the bonuses.
Pretty sure the highest score was 236 this year. U sure you're not bullshitting?

Mana

Administrator
Pretty sure the highest score was 236 this year. U sure you're not bullshitting?

I can confirm that the highest score I have heard of this year (and for that matter pretty much EVERY year) is a fair way above 236.

A1

Rookie Doc
So if I put #1 USyd #2 UNSW in Dec Round 2, if I got the USyd offer, then it will be a confirmed offer and then I could remove USyd entirely from the list and put UNSW back to #1 for Jan Round 1.

Yes, before removing USyd you must accept the offer and in some cases that requires you to enrol in the course as well. This enrolment can be withdrawn without penalty later if you get a better offer.

But if I do not get an email for the UNSW Med interview, can I assume that I am out and I could remove UNSW Med from the preference list?

I wouldn't put myself into this situation where I'd need to remove UNSW to make room for a new pref at that stage. But it's up to you.

Yes, before removing USyd you must accept the offer and in some cases that requires you to enrol in the course as well. This enrolment can be withdrawn without penalty later if you get a better offer.

I wouldn't put myself into this situation where I'd need to remove UNSW to make room for a new pref at that stage. But it's up to you.

Thanks, if I put #1 UNSW Med and #2 USyd Physio, in the Dec Round 2, if USyd gives me the offer, this offer will be "pending a higher offer". Will this offer be considered as confirmed if I do not get the UNSW offer later in the Jan round?

helpme101

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 173
Section One: 62
Section Two: 49
Section Three: 63
Overall Percentile Rank: 83
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.3
Preferred University: Adelaide or Flinders (but will take anything if it comes to it)
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: School Leaver
State: SA
Rural: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: yes (SA university equity scheme)

Question/s: Do I have any chance of getting an interview at Adelaide or Flinders or anywhere?

Mana

Administrator
Overall UMAT Score: 173
Section One: 62
Section Two: 49
Section Three: 63
Overall Percentile Rank: 83
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.3
Preferred University: Adelaide or Flinders (but will take anything if it comes to it)
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: School Leaver
State: SA
Rural: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: yes (SA university equity scheme)

Question/s: Do I have any chance of getting an interview at Adelaide or Flinders or anywhere?

Flinders may consider you if you have enough bonus points to bring your score up to around 99.85ish. Otherwise you're probably out of luck for all the UMAT-based schools for medicine.

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks, if I put #1 UNSW Med and #2 USyd Physio, in the Dec Round 2, if USyd gives me the offer, this offer will be "pending a higher offer". Will this offer be considered as confirmed if I do not get the UNSW offer later in the Jan round?

I believe that's how it works i.e. in the Jan round you will get either a Med offer or the Physio offer, but can't confirm. Best to get an answer in writing from UAC.

UCAT>UMAT

If you apply for a umat recheck, would that mean you would have to go and apply for all the universities anyway? As you would receive your mark in October sometime even if it did or did not change...

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If you apply for a umat recheck, would that mean you would have to go and apply for all the universities anyway? As you would receive your mark in October sometime even if it did or did not change...

Yes, if that’s true re. the release date for a re-mark (I’ve not actually checked), then almost all Med application deadlines are towards the end of September so you’d need to apply to all the ones you’re interested in and just hope for an improved score.

G

GreenGrapes

Hi, not sure if this is the right board, but could someone please give their opinion on my chances?

UMAT: 80 (66/53/51=170)
Predicted ATAR: 98.1
Rural: RA2/ MMM4/RRMA5 (Victoria)
Minor EAS for parents' FTB and my minor disability
I've applied to every undergraduate medicine course in Australia.

Thanks!