Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh959

Hi,

I think I read this somewhere on this site that some interstate applicants were able to interview earlier? i.e. With the local applicants? How? I emailed the unis' future students advisors but they just said that it was up to the medical school whether I could interview earlier or not.

I don't have much chance in my home state so I want to do the interstate interviews asap.

Since my UMAT was only 89 (56,58,60) and my ATAR is predicted 99.45, I'm talking about Curtin and UWA (not UAdel since I know their interviews are Nov/ Dec anyway). Btw if I missed out any unis in my list that I have a chance for, please let me know (maybe UNSW is my ATAR is like 99.60? And JCU if my application goes well. And Griffith USC has no interviews)!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi,

I think I read this somewhere on this site that some interstate applicants were able to interview earlier? i.e. With the local applicants? How? I emailed the unis' future students advisors but they just said that it was up to the medical school whether I could interview earlier or not.

I don't have much chance in my home state so I want to do the interstate interviews asap.

Since my UMAT was only 89 (56,58,60) and my ATAR is predicted 99.45, I'm talking about Curtin and UWA (not UAdel since I know their interviews are Nov/ Dec anyway). Btw if I missed out any unis in my list that I have a chance for, please let me know (maybe UNSW is my ATAR is like 99.60? And JCU if my application goes well. And Griffith USC has no interviews)!
Curtin states that their first round interviews are only for WA school-leavers, Curtin course switchers and WA non-school leavers, so you are probably out of luck there. UWA also states that interstate applicants also interview in mid-late January. You are probably best to contact the faculties directly to see if they would interview you earlier, although I'm not sure whether your reasoning would be valid enough for them to let you interview in the earlier rounds.

The unis you mentioned are the ones you have the best chance for, and I would definitely spend plenty of time on the written application for JCU as it definitely is the make or break between receiving and not receiving an interview. USC cutoff is also quite likely to increase this year, so I'd work hard to get your ATAR as high as possible to give yourself the best chance there. Good luck.

dh959

Thank you! I thought I had read here that some interstate applicants were able to interview earlier? This was for other unis (I think) like JMP and WSU. What was their reasoning?

Hey I was just wondering when will JCU conduct interviews for 1st year non-standard students as the gpa for the full year will come out later ie will they conduct them in first or second round.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey I was just wondering when will JCU conduct interviews for 1st year non-standard students as the gpa for the full year will come out later ie will they conduct them in first or second round.
They most often conduct them in second round if the applicant only has 1 semester of results available at the time of application, although first year students are occasionally offered first round interviews. Definitely the majority interview in second round, though.

They most often conduct them in second round if the applicant only has 1 semester of results available at the time of application, although first year students are occasionally offered first round interviews. Definitely the majority interview in second round, though.
Thank you for the response, I was just trying to prepare as I am going on holidays for early January next year. Would they maybe offer me an earlier interview as I won't be in the country?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you for the response, I was just trying to prepare as I am going on holidays for early January next year. Would they maybe offer me an earlier interview as I won't be in the country?
You could email the faculty to ask, although going on holidays is usually an explicitly stated reason that will not be approved for a change in interview date. Keep in mind that JCU is deliberately interviewing first year applicants in second round for a reason; if their second semester results lower their GPA to an extent whereby they wouldn't be above the cutoff to be offered an interview, they don't want to waste their time, nor the applicant's time and money, interviewing someone who wouldn't be eligible for a place offer.

A1

Rookie Doc

A1

Rookie Doc
Thank you! I thought I had read here that some interstate applicants were able to interview earlier? This was for other unis (I think) like JMP and WSU. What was their reasoning?

I don't know about the other unis, UNSW says publicly the reason they interview interstate students in late Jan is it's after their home-state med offer dates, so those already with a home-state offer may save money not traveling to UNSW interview. Last year a Vic student wrote to UNSW that she didn't have Chem prereq for Monash thus not waiting for any home-state offer. She was given a 1st round interview (and got a 1st round offer too :) ).

dh959

I don't know about the other unis, UNSW says publicly the reason they interview interstate students in late Jan is it's after their home-state med offer dates, so those already with a home-state offer may save money not traveling to UNSW interview. Last year a Vic student wrote to UNSW that she didn't have Chem prereq for Monash thus not waiting for any home-state offer. She was given a 1st round interview (and got a 1st round offer too :) ).
Cheers! I guess simply wanting to have more practice before Monash (since I don't have much chance) isn't a valid reason haha

If anyone has had any experience or heard of anyone successfully changing their interview from the interstate round to the local round, please let me know!

A1

Rookie Doc
Cheers! I guess simply wanting to have more practice before Monash (since I don't have much chance) isn't a valid reason haha

You should get an Adelaide interview to gain experience before Monash. Also no harm writing to Mr Boothey at UNSW Med saying you like to attend regardless of home-state offer. Last year's individual ATAR UMAT cutoffs for interstate were 98.2 & 84th, you are clear of this elimination so if your combined score is interview eligible he might give you one in the 1st round.

Connor

Just thought I'll let you all know in case someone is in the same boat as me. Called JMP today as was told there is no way they will entertain less than 50 in any section (47 in my case) even though Section 1 was 78.
So Monash, JMP, Curtin and UTas are off the list. Chances are looking slimmer and slimmer :(

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Just thought I'll let you all know in case someone is in the same boat as me. Called JMP today as was told there is no way they will entertain less than 50 in any section (47 in my case) even though Section 1 was 78.
So Monash, JMP, Curtin and UTas are off the list. Chances are looking slimmer and slimmer :(
Thanks for the info Connor. All the best, keep your chin up :)

fupson

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to this MSO business, I just have a question is there anywhere on the forum that has any info on how the JMP/WSU MMI are run? I was just wondering whether they focus more on the personal side i.e. why we want to do medicine or why we think we're a good candidate for it e.t.c., or is it run more like the postgrad MMIs where there is a big focus on professionalism with a lot of acting stations or stations where we're given a situation/topic and are asked to answer it along with any rebuttals the interviewers might have? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing great. I graduated HS in 2017 (i.e. taking a gap year this year) but was wondering for applications like UNSW, JCU is it a good idea to mention my gap year and will it go unnoticed by the interviewers if I don't mention it? Thanks heaps

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing great. I graduated HS in 2017 (i.e. taking a gap year this year) but was wondering for applications like UNSW, JCU is it a good idea to mention my gap year and will it go unnoticed by the interviewers if I don't mention it? Thanks heaps

The interviewers aren't given any background information on you so as not to be biased, they won't know you've taken a gap unless you tell them.
Only mention it if you can also describe what you gained from your gap year, e.g. experiences that increased your understanding of the world/helped you grow as a person. :)

The interviewers aren't given any background information on you so as not to be biased, they won't know you've taken a gap unless you tell them.
Only mention it if you can also describe what you gained from your gap year, e.g. experiences that increased your understanding of the world/helped you grow as a person. :)
Alright sweet thanks so much! I was worried because I wasn't sure if they would get the idea that I didn't have any experiences before my gap year if I chose to mention it haha :)

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Alright sweet thanks so much! I was worried because I wasn't sure if they would get the idea that I didn't have any experiences before my gap year if I chose to mention it haha :)
Np! Don't worry, they wouldn't think that- unless you really couldn't think of any life experience/wisdom you had gained pre-gap-year, which I highly doubt is the case.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

If anyone has had any experience or heard of anyone successfully changing their interview from the interstate round to the local round, please let me know!

Again this is for JMP and WSU and is therefore possibly the info you already know, but I’ve absolutely heard of interviewees for both getting their interview slots changed from Jan to Nov/Dec. in both instances, the applicant contacted the university directly immediately on receipt of their interview invite to discuss options. One of these reschedules was due to being on holiday overseas at the originally scheduled time.

It is definitely worth a conversation with the individual uni/s upon receipt of interview invite if travel has already been booked, etc. But if you’ve yet to book, then I would be scheduling appropriately so as not to run the risk of the university saying no.

(ETA: this reply is also for Ethan Roach)

dh959

Thank you!

Is being on holiday overseas a valid reason usually (esp for other unis like Curtin, UWA)? Do you happen to know what hte other applicant's reason was?

Status
Not open for further replies.