Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

l2009

thelosttwo01[/URL said:
My question to you is this, what is Griffith like as a place to study dent? Is there anything like messed up course content, lots of not so good lecturers and over-emphasis on SDL? I am asking because I do not know whether to take my chances with doing the UMAT next year to try for UQ Dent or just go into Griffith this year.

I'm pretty happy with Griffith dentistry at the moment. But of course I can only say that without any reference as to how other dental schools are like ...

Course content is similar to other dent schools. Only big difference I think is the first year foundation year - not a whole lot of dental-related sciences is taught unfortunately. At least when I was in first year. Though for all I know, things might be different next year. I've heard talk of the first year course being changed for us, though at this stage it's just hearsay.

Most lecturers are pretty good, actually. Of course, there are a few who aren't that great ... but I'm pretty sure it's universal across all courses in every Australian university, lol

Not sure what SDL stands for? lol xD

Clinic wise ... I'm not going to lie - I wish I had more clinic time in 3rd year. I always felt like we don't see enough patients this year, and it is something that I've brought up with a few of my clinic tutors. They've all told me that in the grand scheme of things, we'll be fine. But still ... I think 3rd years should see more patients.

My recommendation for you - if you really want to do dentistry and don't get any other offer, then take Griffith. And if money isn't a huge issue

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Just to add for future reference. As of 2012 intake (from someone accepted into Griff DSci):
You can't defer
There is no interview
You don't have to put them as first preference
First round offers went at least as low as GPA 6.63 last year

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
YAY They finally introduced sim clinic into first year. Thank you ADC for making it happen. Can't wait for the course structure for it to appear. Getting dent exposure in semester 2 is great ^^. Hopefully that will make the work load lighter for second year. It also appears the subjects for the first 3 years have been reconstructed as part of the update.

Last edited:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
YAY They finally introduced sim clinic into first year. Thank you ADC for making it happen. Can't wait for the course structure for it to appear. Getting dent exposure in semester 2 is great ^^. Hopefully that will make the work load lighter for second year. It also appears the subjects for the first 3 years have been reconstructed as part of the update.

I think the link shows their course structure if you are interested.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I think the link shows their course structure if you are interested.
All subjects have their course structure in detail when you click on them individually ^^ except they havent put detailed information for the Introduction to Clinical Practice subject in first year. They will probably add it in the coming weeks. Would be interesting to see what they have changed :)

Whew, that's the major 'concern' for me going to Griffith next year out of the way :) Thanks for spotting that, I looked at their courses a month ago and that clinical subject wasn't there when I looked.

dent_1011

Lurker
For griffith dent students who did a year or more of undergrad (not a highschool leaver) to get into dent

Format
What undergrad:
At what uni:
GPA:

Question: Is there a disadvantage of studying a non-science undergrad to someone who is studying a science undergrad?
Question: How difficult was it to get that grade?

Thanks in advance :):)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
To be honest, there are very few, if any, current members who are doing Dentistry at Griffith, let alone those who got in after a year or more of undergrad (which then comprises a small minority of the actual cohort.) You're likely to be getting no responses or very, very few of them.

Edit: seems they are all coming out of hiding

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Question: Is there a disadvantage of studying a non-science undergrad to someone who is studying a science undergrad?
No, entry is based solely on your academic results, regardless of degree; they don't discriminate against different degrees. The dent program at Griffith mainly accepts school-leavers, i.e. it assumes no prerequisite knowledge, so you won't be disadvantaged for not having a science degree background if you gain entry.

Gogi

No, entry is based solely on your academic results, regardless of degree; they don't discriminate against different degrees. The dent program at Griffith mainly accepts school-leavers, i.e. it assumes no prerequisite knowledge, so you won't be disadvantaged for not having a science degree background if you gain entry.

I wouldn't say mainly school-leavers to be honest!
My cohort had at least 40 non-standard students whether completed or have not completed their degrees.

dkae

Im in first year 2018

Got in with from 1 year physiotherapy 6.875
Partner got in 1 year nursing 6.875

My cohort is about 95. 30 if not more international (mostly canadian) maybe 15 school leavers. Rest undergrad.

Life is easier if u can rpl all general science first year. That said even if u come in from arts etc u should be fine.

Tomato

Im in first year 2018

Got in with from 1 year physiotherapy 6.875
Partner got in 1 year nursing 6.875

My cohort is about 95. 30 if not more international (mostly canadian) maybe 15 school leavers. Rest undergrad.

Life is easier if u can rpl all general science first year. That said even if u come in from arts etc u should be fine.

According to QTAC there is no QLD school leavers in 2018 cohort, therefore I guess the ~15 school leavers you mentioned should be from interstates. I find that the numbers of school leavers are getting less and less in Griffith Dent.

dkae

According to QTAC there is no QLD school leavers in 2018 cohort, therefore I guess the ~15 school leavers you mentioned should be from interstates. I find that the numbers of school leavers are getting less and less in Griffith Dent.

yeah i only personally know a few lol, id say more and more spots are going to international. $$$

Hi I am currently studying at CQU Oral Health and am looking to apply for Griffith Dent next year. So far I am predicting a GPA of 6.5 at the end of this year (hopefully my second term marks are better than my first :/ ). Would I be competitive with this GPA or am I better off looking forward to next year to improve my marks? Did anyone in 2018 get in with a GPA lower than 6.7? Would it be best to apply at a few universities? Although I don't think I would score well in the UMAT

Chrismm

Hi I am currently studying at CQU Oral Health and am looking to apply for Griffith Dent next year. So far I am predicting a GPA of 6.5 at the end of this year (hopefully my second term marks are better than my first :/ ). Would I be competitive with this GPA or am I better off looking forward to next year to improve my marks? Did anyone in 2018 get in with a GPA lower than 6.7? Would it be best to apply at a few universities? Although I don't think I would score well in the UMAT
These were some of the Griffith Dentistry offers from MSO (from 2018 offers thread):
Dentistry
7.00, NZ, non-standard, CSP
7.00, non-standard, CSP
7.00, non-standard, CSP
7.00, non-standard, CSP
6.90, non-standard
6.875, non-standard, CSP
6.875, non-standard
6.875, non-standard
6.79/6.84 (unsure), NZ, non-standard,

It's best to apply to more universities to increase your chances. It's probably too late to register for UMAT now if you haven't already. If you have, just give it your best shot.

linus

I'm a first year doing undergrad science with a predicted GPA of 6.625. Would this be sufficient for the 2019 intake?

Tomato

I'm a first year doing undergrad science with a predicted GPA of 6.625. Would this be sufficient for the 2019 intake?
According to previous years, the cutoffs were normally above 6.75, but I think you should apply just in case it lowers down this year.