Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks LMG! That might be a good thing (possibly less competition hahahah)

:D

I’ll change the name of this thread to make it more user friendly to others who might be popping by for 2019 entry. Probably don’t need a whole new thread.

ETA: done :)

Bbbeb

:D

I’ll change the name of this thread to make it more user friendly to others who might be popping by for 2019 entry. Probably don’t need a whole new thread.

ETA: done :)
Thanks LMG. Hopefully some discussion arises closer to the offer dates!

cat777

I'm a utas hopeful, also JCU but id prefer utas.. studying BMedRes first year in Launceston atm, didnt get direct entry so on competitive pathway. Moved from RA1 in WA so I am a non-rural applicant still. Sick for UMAT so did terrible, but still just hoping for the best.

Panda111

WSU MD I
I'm a utas hopeful, also JCU but id prefer utas.. studying BMedRes first year in Launceston atm, didnt get direct entry so on competitive pathway. Moved from RA1 in WA so I am a non-rural applicant still. Sick for UMAT so did terrible, but still just hoping for the best.
Don't lose hope! With a good GPA and application, there's still a chance for JCU!
And with competitive entry only being for BMedRes students - there may be a higher chance of getting in than previous years
So just keep working at it :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thank you :)
GPA 7 so far and should be same/very similar after this semester
I hope there is a higher chance!

Last year, the lowest non-rural BMedRes (UTAS) student who got Entry for 2018 (and this entry came after the semester had started due to someone else pulling out) was 97th%ile.

And as for whether there’ll be much change given it’s only BMedRes (UTAS) students now eligible, I was wondering this myself, but unfortunately I suspect it won’t make too much difference because I honestly don’t think I’ve met a non-rural, non-UTAS BMedRes, non-standard student in my class this year. All the non-standard, non-UTAS BMedRes students this year (of which there are very few!) who would now be ineligible were also rural.

Best of luck, but definitely keep your JCU options open.

Panda111

WSU MD I
Last year, the lowest non-rural BMedRes (UTAS) student who got Entry for 2018 (and this entry came after the semester had started due to someone else pulling out) was 97th%ile.

And as for whether there’ll be much change given it’s only BMedRes (UTAS) students now eligible, I was wondering this myself, but unfortunately I suspect it won’t make too much difference because I honestly don’t think I’ve met a non-rural, non-UTAS BMedRes, non-standard student in my class this year. All the non-standard, non-UTAS BMedRes students this year (of which there are very few!) who would now be ineligible were also rural.

Does UTAS competitive entry just use a GPA threshold of 6? Or is a higher GPA required?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does UTAS competitive entry just use a GPA threshold of 6? Or is a higher GPA required?

Previously, it has been a threshold only (so a 7.00 had no advantage over a 6.00 - the advantage all came with UMAT). I’m not sure if it’s been clarified how GPA will be used this year.

ETA: this would suggest hurdle but it’s still difficult to say for sure at this stage: M3N Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery - Courses & Units - University of Tasmania, Australia

cat777

yeah thank you, i am suspecting it will be the same again. Oh and not sure if you misunderstood but I am a UTAS student this year I just don't qualify as a rural yet.

Yes I am definitely preparing to have JCU as my only option and hoping I do well in the interview if I am offered one..

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
yeah thank you, i am suspecting it will be the same again. Oh and not sure if you misunderstood but I am a UTAS student this year I just don't qualify as a rural yet.

Yes I am definitely preparing to have JCU as my only option and hoping I do well in the interview if I am offered one..
Don't at all want to put a damper on you here, but JCU reserves very limited places for non-standard applicants (and the vast majority of these go to rural applicants) so I'd definitely have non-med options to fall back on if it doesn't work out! Best of luck with your applications, though :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Oh no, I understood, I mentioned non-UTAS BMedRes and other non-standards because they are the groups who will be ineligible next year and potentially freeing up space for UTAS BMedResers. But I was trying to make the point that there pretty much aren’t any this year, anyway. And might not be ANY that aren’t also rural (if there are, I’ve not met them).

Whynot101

WSU MD I

Thanks LMG for still thinking about this even if it's no longer relevant to you! I suspected this might be the case which is unfortunate (for those of us in the non/non category). Still got to wait until first week of semester then I suppose to know for sure with a borderline UMAT! (compared to previous years cutoff) This will be the longest wait...

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello! Popping in to say hi! I've got my application in for UTAS for next year.

Good luck to all applicants :)

Hello! And best of luck! Besides BMedRes, what’s your background? Are you also a local, or have you moved to Tas for Uni? And how did you go in UMAT this year?

Ammiecat

UoN MD Y4
Hello! And best of luck! Besides BMedRes, what’s your background? Are you also a local, or have you moved to Tas for Uni? And how did you go in UMAT this year?

Hey! Actually, I am an Indigenous applicant. I have a background in health and have been doing another degree at UTAS to gain a decent GPA, I have the chemistry foundation over the summer too. My original intent was just getting the GPA for BMedRes and going for MBBS from there but I got encouraged to apply for 2019.

No UMAT thankfully but I doubt I will get in this year.

I'd just be happy with admittance to BMedRes and then apply again next year worst if need be :)

Local girl, born and raised :) I would love UTAS admittance to Medicine but will also apply interstate next year. I will probably do non-Indigenous routes also to increase my chances. meaning UCAT!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey! Actually, I am an Indigenous applicant. I have a background in health and have been doing another degree at UTAS to gain a decent GPA, I have the chemistry foundation over the summer too. My original intent was just getting the GPA for BMedRes and going for MBBS from there but I got encouraged to apply for 2019.

No UMAT thankfully but I doubt I will get in this year.

I'd just be happy with admittance to BMedRes and then apply again next year worst if need be :)

Local girl, born and raised :) I would love UTAS admittance to Medicine but will also apply interstate next year. I will probably do non-Indigenous routes also to increase my chances. meaning UCAT!

Awesome!! Oh, wow, best of luck! Obviously I’ve not studied elsewhere to be able to compare, but I have loved my year this year and can definitely recommend UTAS. By and large, the staff are amazing and the facilities are obviously awesome (Menzies building).

I’m also a Tassie local and applied interstate, but definitely preferred UTAS and was lucky enough to get it. My fingers are crossed for you!