Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Interview Invites and Dates 2018-19

maia.rose

anyone know what time the UNSW (rural) interview booking site actually opens? I have a pretty narrow window that I can interview in so I stayed up till 12 to book straight away but it doesn't seem to have updated the page yet :/ anyone else having this?

I'd like this info too if anyone has it!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Ikr... 150 (as quoted by A1, God himself) doesn't seem enough. Unless there really aren't that many rural applicants? Surely there are though, right?
Oh, awesome! Good to have someone here with some first-hand experience. I'll keep an eye on that website then. Fingers crossed it won't be at some stupid time... What was the point of keeping opening times withdrawn? Smh

UNSW (and Curtin) use a different system for determining rural status which is more stringent than, say, JCU, JMP, and WSU. This would impact the number of people eligible to apply as rural candidates.

(For example, JMP, JCU, and WSU all considered my RA2 location rural, but UNSW - and Curtin - did not.)

Shani

Lurker
UNSW (and Curtin) use a different system for determining rural status which is more stringent than, say, JCU, JMP, and WSU. This would impact the number of people eligible to apply as rural candidates.

(For example, JMP, JCU, and WSU all considered my RA2 location rural, but UNSW - and Curtin - did not.)

UNSW follows the "RRMA 3-7 (Rural, Remote, Metropolitan Areas classification system)" . In this system RA2 almost equal to RRMA4

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
UNSW follows the "RRMA 3-7 (Rural, Remote, Metropolitan Areas classification system)" . In this system RA2 almost equal to RRMA4
Not necessarily - "under the RRMA classification, all capital cities are classed as ‘Capital cities’ regardless of the population size and relative remoteness of the individual cities. Under this classification, Darwin (population of approximately 70,000 and surrounded by sparsely 15 populated areas), and Hobart (population of approximately 125,000) are placed in the same class as Sydney (with a population of more than 4 million)."

Under the RA system, Darwin is classified as RA-3 and Hobart is classified as RA-2.

This means that if you come from either of these locations, UNSW would not consider you rural despite the population sizes.

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II

I see! That does clear it up. Thanks so much!

As for the discussion of either system though, it is quite interesting. Quite disappointing that Darwin and Tasmania would be overlooked due to their position as capital cities. Probably needs a bit of a re-think. Though I can't be too ungrateful because my RA2 locality was luckily considered within that RRMA3-7 bracket .

Literally have to drive to wagga now because it's the next closest...
Oh that sucks. Have a safe journey.
How long will it take you? I'll be taking 6 hours to get to my nearest. Thankful it's not further.

H_______

Oh that sucks. Have a safe journey.
How long will it take you? I'll be taking 6 hours to get to my nearest. Thankful it's not further.

Not as bad as you I guess, 8 hour round trip instead of 4. Think they might need to rethink this system for next year...

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
Not as bad as you I guess, 8 hour round trip instead of 4. Think they might need to rethink this system for next year...
Oh an extra two hours would suck especially if you thought if it was only going to be those two.
I definitely agree. Even just announcing a time would save everybody so much stress...

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Given people fly from interstate to attend these interviews (and that this practice is expected), I actually don't think they'll be too worried about this. There's only so much they can do to accommodate people, and there comes a point where they just can't cater to everyone.

A1

Rookie Doc
Bro wtf how did the interview times go away so quickly. Legit all of November went in Milli seconds. Ffs

The UNSW website saying rural interviews in Oct & Nov gave the impression there would be lots of days to choose from. But given approx 150 interviewees at 6 locations it's 25 per location on average, which can be conducted with 4 interviewers in a day or 2 interviewers x 2 days.

Was someone able to see in the booking system how many interview days at each location, and were they all the same dates or staggered?

H_______

The UNSW website saying rural interviews in Oct & Nov gave the impression there would be lots of days to choose from. But given approx 150 interviewees at 6 locations it's 25 per location on average, which can be conducted with 4 interviewers in a day or 2 interviewers x 2 days.

Was someone able to see in the booking system how many interview days at each location, and were they all the same dates or staggered?

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 10.59.30 pm.png

Given people fly from interstate to attend these interviews (and that this practice is expected), I actually don't think they'll be too worried about this. There's only so much they can do to accommodate people, and there comes a point where they just can't cater to everyone.

I understand that there is a point where no more can be done, but you would think they would simply be able to run the locations of all the people they are offering interviews to through a script and allocate the number of slots at each location based on proximity of applicants. Looking at my previous reply, you can see Kensington actually has the second lowest number of slots, and I would suspect that would still be the highest demand, especially when adding those coming interstate as you say.

I also question their choices of dates. You can clearly see the larger concentration of dates throughout October, compared to the number of dates in late November as many people I assume were planning for. Surely places in these areas are not in such demand that they can't offer more November dates by cutting October dates. I'm not doing, nor have I done, HSC, but I would assume that having to interview during October would be quite an inconvenience and disruptive.

These are just thoughts - hopefully I will not have this worry next year, but if I did I would hope to see some amendments to the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

H_______

I count 41 interview days as shown. Even inflating number of interviewees to 200 it's only 5 per day. Matching Josht's saying 5-6 slots per day but still very unusual.

It's tough to say now as several slots are obviously gone, but it seems there may have been days that act as either morning or afternoon sessions. Interviews start every 50 minutes starting at 9am. The only times that are now available are one of 9:00, 9:50, 10:40, 11:30, 1:00, 1:50, 2:40 and 3:30, the majority being those in the morning, and I don't know if I recall any at the 12:20 mark, and no days with slots in both morning and afternoon.

Again, it's hard to say as not all slots initially offered can be seen, but I believe this may be the case, meaning based on the 41 days the number goes back down to 164, more in line with expectation. Could be worth noting that not all slots are filled yet, so there may be an excess to still allow flexibility for late-picking interviewees, making it closer again to the 150.

A1

Rookie Doc
So what do you conclude A1, you reckon more people are being interviewed this year or less?

I would have guessed more this year, but by H____'s count since each day has just 4 slots either morning or afternoon it's only slightly more.

Again, it's hard to say as not all slots initially offered can be seen, but I believe this may be the case, meaning based on the 41 days the number goes back down to 164, more in line with expectation.

The surprise is, in my year when all interviews (incl non-rurals) were at Kensington they organised 8 students per session x 10 sessions per day. Even 12 sessions on some days since they ran to 7.30pm. Here they're doing just 4-5 interviews a day.

miaaa888

Since I am a non-standard (3rd year uni), will I be considered in the first interview offer round for UNSW provided that I have told them my current GPA?

A1

Rookie Doc
Since I am a non-standard (3rd year uni), will I be considered in the first interview offer round for UNSW provided that I have told them my current GPA?

UNSW now holds only one interview round in Dec for NSW applicants (based on their actual ATAR/GPA) so yes you will be included in this round.

Aus2018

For UNSW interview between 17-21 Dec, do they just advise you of a date and time on 14 Dec? USyd seems to have their interview on one day only-17 Dec. If there is a clash, can you ask UNSW to change the time?

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
For UNSW interview between 17-21 Dec, do they just advise you of a date and time on 14 Dec? USyd seems to have their interview on one day only-17 Dec. If there is a clash, can you ask UNSW to change the time?

You get to choose your interview date/time for UNSW, so there shouldn't be a problem if you get in early :)