Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT 2018 Results Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
I am not sure if JMP takes any overseas HSC candidates but hopefully, UNSW does. Not sure about others. Good luck as yo ahve been assessed equivalent to UAC (QAS) 99.95 but I doubt this is same as ATAR 99.95!

Except UTas the unis don't concern themselves with determining applicants' ATAR/GPA , they leave this task to the TACs. Their websites including JMP's all say ATAR or equivalent. If UAC assesses it as equiv to 99.95 I believe that's what it will be to all NSW unis.

Numerouno

US results
Australian citizen
Ok. Did UAC mention that you would be considered under overseas quota? I am afraid you will not be as you are an Australian Citizen. Internationals may have less stringent ATARequiv requirements I assume. With such high scores you could get into a BS/MD program in a reputable uni there. Just thinking.

Wendy Lin

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 181
Section One: 62
Section Two: 62
Section Three: 57
Overall Percentile Rank: 91
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.00
Preferred University: Monash
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: School leaver
State: Victoria
Rural: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
GWS: No
Other Bonuses: Yes

Question/s: What are my chances of getting an interview at Monash. I know I'm not likely to get a first round offer at Monash but what is my chance of getting a second or third round offer?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Overall UMAT Score: 181
Section One: 62
Section Three: 57
Overall Percentile Rank: 91
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.00
Preferred University: Monash
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: School leaver
State: Victoria
Other Bonuses: Yes

Question/s: What are my chances of getting an interview at Monash. I know I'm not likely to get a first round offer at Monash but what is my chance of getting a second or third round offer?

What are the "other bonuses" you've selected yes for? Is it EAS?

Wendy Lin

Lurker
It's SEAS

I looked on the Monash website, they said they award it according to severity. I would say my situation is considered to be more serious. One of my teachers passed away suddenly from a heart attack during the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

australia

Hi, just a general question: for UQ, what are the cut-offs for entry? And if you do meet these cut-offs, are you guaranteed a place offer?

Thank you :)

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
I looked on the Monash website, they said they award it according to severity. I would say my situation is considered to be more serious. One of my teachers passed away suddenly from a heart attack during the year.
I'm sorry to hear that. There's no way of knowing how severe Monash would rate that, but it's better to err on the side of caution and go with the most conservative outcome.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, just a general question: for UQ, what are the cut-offs for entry? And if you do meet these cut-offs, are you guaranteed a place offer?

Thank you :)

The academic cut-off is OP1 or ATAR 99.00 I believe. This can be achieved with the addition of subject and/or rurality bonuses, too.

UMAT isn’t a cutoff, necessarily, and changes very slightly every year. Presumably it drops to a point based on the results of the applicants, and not to a pre-determined level. UQ publish the lowest scores annually (after, not before, entry invites are released) so you’d be easily able to access the successful scores for 2018 entry to give you a guide.

australia

The academic cut-off is OP1 or ATAR 99.00 I believe. This can be achieved with the addition of subject and/or rurality bonuses, too.

UMAT isn’t a cutoff, necessarily, and changes very slightly every year. Presumably it drops to a point based on the results of the applicants, and not to a pre-determined level. UQ publish the lowest scores annually (after, not before, entry invites are released) so you’d be easily able to access the successful scores for 2018 entry to give you a guide.

So say for example that I get an ATAR of 99 and my current UMAT is 189 with my S1 at 67, do you think I would be guaranteed a place offer at UQ?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So say for example that I get an ATAR of 99 and my current UMAT is 189 with my S1 at 67, do you think I would be guaranteed a place offer at UQ?

As mentioned, the UMAT score requirements are not predetermined (or, if they are, they’re certainly not released to the public). I can’t guarantee you anything. The best you can do is check last year’s UMAT requirements, which will give you a guide, and probably some reassurance, but not a guarantee.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
You can feel pretty confident (albeit not certain) of a CSP offer with that UMAT score based on past cutoffs, however it’s important to note that you’ll be gaining a place in provisional entry, not the MD directly. You need to maintain a GPA of 5 (a credit average ) in the undergraduate degree you choose to gain entry to the MD - while this is certainly achievable, it’s by no means a guarantee of a place in medicine and will still require some effort in your degree.

Numerouno

I'm sorry to hear that. There's no way of knowing how severe Monash would rate that, but it's better to err on the side of caution and go with the most conservative outcome.
I agree. Sorry to hear about the passing of one of the teachers during the year. I was left in the dark and not considered from any university for EAS when my close relative passed away just one week before the HSC exams. I do not know what is the level of severity that is attributed to Fanily circumstances or to you that can be considered under this category. I just wanted to give an example but each case is different and who looks at it. Keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

moonchild

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 179
Section One: 55
Section Three: 6q
Overall Percentile Rank: 89
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99+
Preferred University: Any in Australia
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: School-Leaver
State:
NQLD
Other Bonuses: No

What are my chances into getting into any med program at all? I’m getting super anxious thinking about it :/

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Overall UMAT Score: 179
Section One: 55
Section Three: 6q
Overall Percentile Rank: 89
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99+
Preferred University: Any in Australia
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: School-Leaver
State:
NQLD
Other Bonuses: No

What are my chances into getting into any med program at all? I’m getting super anxious thinking about it :/
You should receive an interview from Adelaide and Curtin, though I'd suspect those would be the only two UMAT universities that you can be very confident you'll receive an interview from - the chance of a place will then be highly dependent on your performance in the interview(s) as well as where exactly your ATAR falls in the 99.0-99.95 range. You may sneak in for an interview at UWA or UNSW (and possibly Monash, though I'd expect as a non-Vic resident that is unlikely) if you have a high enough ATAR.

If it's 99.75+ you should receive an offer for provisional entry medical science at Griffith GC or Nathan, and if it's 99.85+ (including bonuses if you have any) you should receive a Flinders place offer. You may also receive a provisional entry medical science offer for Griffith (doing undergraduate years at USC) but that will highly depend on where the cutoff falls this year (we suspect it will be 99.35+, probably somewhere around the 99.5-99.6 mark).

If you applied to JCU, your chances of an interview offer will highly depend on your written application.

Best of luck!

Overall UMAT Score:167
Section One:54
Section Two:56
Section Three:57
Overall Percentile Rank:76
Estimated ATAR/GPA:98
Preferred University: applied;UNSW, WSU, UoN... But happy anywhere in NSWs
Course Type:
med
Application type: school leaver
State: NSW
Rural: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
GWS: yes

Question: does anyone know what the WSU cutoffs are for umat ??

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Overall UMAT Score:167
Section One:54
Section Two:56
Section Three:57
Overall Percentile Rank:76
Estimated ATAR/GPA:98
Preferred University: applied;UNSW, WSU, UoN... But happy anywhere in NSWs
Course Type:
med
Application type: school leaver
State: NSW
Rural: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
GWS: yes

Question: does anyone know what the WSU cutoffs are for umat ??

Have a look in the interview invite collated thread for this year. I'm keeping track of the possible formula for WSU in that thread as the information comes to hand. As it stands, things would have to drop a fair bit before your result would be competitive. Unfortunately, you're unlikely to get interview invites for any of the NSW universities, largely on the basis of your UMAT.

Numerouno

Probably LMG, A1 or other moderators may have an in-depth knowledge of the interview invites for UMAT scores. From what I gathered so far is that the universities you had listed seem to be out of reach for an interview. But there is a chance for Curtin. WSU is a different kettle of fish as they seem to concentrate only on S1+S2 greater than 120 for GWS for interview offer although I heard, it was 119 last year. JMP considers a minimum 50 but concentrates on a minimum score in S1 (>= 60 in S1). For WSU, you are allowed to even fail i.e <= 40 in S3 but if your score is above the cutoff in S1+S2 you can get an interview. Being Non-rural put a spanner in the system. If you are rural you may get interviews with UNSW. So, although you passed in all sections >50 with GWS status you may not make the interview cut off for WSU. That really Sux.

We are not policymakers...what could be done is that for an interview offer the minimum requirement should be set at 50-50-50 in UMAT as a start for an application to be considered whether it is rural/non-rural (ranked later) as standard across this continent. Hope a few things change for good with the introduction of UCAT next year. As universities say, only competent students get to interview and admission, then their selection does not follow the standard of competence as per UMAT score with disparate selection norms followed in selection even within NSW, let alone interstate dissimilarities. But this is only my opinion as Medicine entry is highly competitive and so much hard work is at stake here adn a minimum standard across the board must evolve through UCAT which is balanced, transparent and understood by all candidates. Then there will be fewer doubts and clarifications needed through this immensely helpful MSO Online moderators. Keep your fingers crossed for Curtin. Good luck.

Q3

We are not policymakers...what could be done is that for an interview offer the minimum requirement should be set at 50-50-50 in UMAT as a start for an application to be considered whether it is rural/non-rural (ranked later) as standard across this continent. Hope a few things change for good with the introduction of UCAT next year. As universities say, only competent students get to interview and admission, then their selection does not follow the standard of competence as per UMAT score with disparate selection norms followed in selection even within NSW, let alone interstate dissimilarities. But this is only my opinion as Medicine entry is highly competitive and so much hard work is at stake here adn a minimum standard across the board must evolve through UCAT which is balanced, transparent and understood by all candidates. Then there will be fewer doubts and clarifications needed through this immensely helpful MSO Online moderators. Keep your fingers crossed for Curtin. Good luck.

This isn't intended as an attack post, just presenting some counter arguments.

Even with ucat universities can weight the sections differently.

Also, just because universities have different admissions criteria it does not mean that their applicants are less competent than others. Universities may believe that some sections of the umat are more legitimate than others, or that they are better predictors of medical school performance.

And there is plenty of transparency in the current system, JMP and other units make it clear on their websites that they have those hurdles.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Even with ucat universities can weight the sections differently.

Also, just because universities have different admissions criteria it does not mean that their applicants are less competent than others. Universities may believe that some sections of the umat are more legitimate than others, or that they are better predictors of medical school performance.

And there is plenty of transparency in the current system, JMP and other units make it clear on their websites that they have those hurdles.

Completely agreed. I’m not sure where this notion that UCAT will effectively revolutionise medicine admissions and only “competent” applicants will receive offers is coming from, tbh.

As happens in the UK, different universities will be able to use the section scores in different manners. Some will continue to use academic scores as part of the picture, and some will no doubt continue not to have interviews at all. Despite knowing very little about how UCAT will operate, I think it’s already possible to say that there won’t be a universal cut off “across the continent” as it will absolutely not be feasible. Not to mention, it would largely mean exactly the same group of people are interviewed at almost all universities, which is also a ridiculous notion.

There’s not going to be an increase in place numbers, and so UCAT is going to have to be used (differently, depending on location) in largely the same way UMAT was; as a pretty crude culling tool in a situation where the absolute vast majority of applicants would be suitable candidates.

Overall UMAT Score:
Section One: 54
Section Two: 77
Section Three: 55
Overall Percentile Rank: 94
Estimated ATAR/GPA: UAI 82.5 in 2008, GPA 6.5
Preferred University: UNSW/Newcastle/UWS
Course Type:
(Medicine)
Application type: (non-standard)
State: (NSW)
Rural: (no)
Indigenous Applicant: (no)
GWS: (no)
Other Bonuses: (no)

Question/s: What are my chances of getting an interview for any, in particular UWS