Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading on here that the dental school gave too many offers out last year so they had to defer some students to the 2019 class. Do you think that could be why the cut offs have raised like that? Bc the places are more limited this year or our cohort is just strong haha

Yes they gave out too many offers. They were expecting more people to decline which didn't happen hence the deferrals. I think that combined with number of places going back to what they typically would have will reduce the seats for 2019. This is unfortunate but what can you do. They couldn't take back offers they had already given.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

I hope the examination preparation is going well.

I can see that some people are wondering about the rank score cutoff for this year. We can make predictions and cutoff approximations when the time comes. However, it will only be possible with your help. This means sharing your scores and offer(s) status after the exams. So, keep that in the back of your mind.

In the mean time, good luck with your exams. Yes, you can do it!

wongton

I swear we had the easiest hubs final compared to the last few years.

Cardiac cycle diagram for the CVS essay and spermatogenesis vs oogenesis for repro as the essay questions

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I swear we had the easiest hubs final compared to the last few years.

Cardiac cycle diagram for the CVS essay and spermatogenesis vs oogenesis for repro as the essay questions

Hi,

That sounds like a classic HUBS question. I am glad it went well for you. Good luck for the other exams.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
But also, as above, your actual scores in UMAT were much higher than ours according to percentile (e.g. 190 marks for a 95th percentile as opposed to 160 for the same in my year).

I'm interested in what you mean by this comment. What year did you do UMAT?

academedical

PGY1 - Otago MBChB
Hi,

I assume academedical is referring to their 2017 UMAT. I think they are talking about the raw scores and how a higher raw score was required to achieve a 95%ile in 2018 in comparison to 2017.

Yep, that's correct. LMG! your true marks (i.e. the actual numbers) were higher for a given percentile than ours which increases your average rank score a bit.

How are people revising for bioc?

The past exam questions seems like they ask pretty unforgiving quedquest

My strategy was just to do the past questions! They were really valuable for me. Also learn all the metabolism diagrams (the ones taught in your last lecture block on obesity, starvation, etc - you don't need to know the intricacies of the CAC or Beta Oxidation)

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi,

I assume academedical is referring to their 2017 UMAT. I think they are talking about the raw scores and how a higher raw score was required to achieve a 95%ile in 2018 in comparison to 2017.

I sat the UMAT in 2017 and with a raw score of 198 got a %ile rank of 98, though. I can’t imagine 160 would have got 95th as has been quoted above. I haven’t checked, so will do that now, but it seems highly unlikely.

ETA: I also sat it in 2016 and 183 got me the 92nd %ile. Again, it seems highly unlikely that 2017 would have been 160 = 95th. I think the graphs have been posted here so I’ll have a look.

ETA2: Unless we are talking about completely different things (possible!), then the above isn’t the case at all. I haven’t found the tables yet (I know they’re posted, but there’s 65 pages of post-2017UMAT chat to sift through to find them!), but I found this:

“Overall score:187
Section 1: 57
Section 2: 65
Section 3: 66

Percentile: 95

(bolding mine)

ETA3: Still haven’t found the curves, but can add this,

“Overall UMAT Score: 160
Section One: 56
Section Two: 49
Section Three: 56
Overall Percentile Rank: 67

ETA4: Haha! Sorry! The below is from 2018...

“Overall UMAT Score: 187
Section One: 65
Section Two: 65
Section Three: 57
Overall Percentile Rank: 95

Section One:45
Section Two:62
Section Three: 53
Overall Percentile Rank: 66

Last edited:

wongton

My strategy was just to do the past questions! They were really valuable for me. Also learn all the metabolism diagrams (the ones taught in your last lecture block on obesity, starvation, etc - you don't need to know the intricacies of the CAC or Beta Oxidation)

Yes jmI doing pass exams

Anikka the person who runs bioc now (I think the med school stole Tony?)
She gave us answer she wrote for like 30 questions and she wrote a book for all the questions.

Seeing her answer's really stresses me out!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I sat the UMAT in 2017 and with a raw score of 198 got a %ile rank of 98, though. I can’t imagine 160 would have got 95th as has been quoted above. I haven’t checked, so will do that now, but it seems highly unlikely.

ETA: I also sat it in 2016 and 183 got me the 92nd %ile. Again, it seems highly unlikely that 2017 would have been 160 = 95th. I think the graphs have been posted here so I’ll have a look.

ETA2: Unless we are talking about completely different things (possible!), then the above is t the case at all. I haven’t found the tables yet (I know they’re posted, but there’s 65 pages of post-2017UMAT chat to sift through to find them!), but I found this:

Percentile: 95th percentile

(bolding mine)

Hi LMG!

Which curves are you looking for?
UMAT 2018 Results Discussion - 2018
[Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards - 2017
[Undergrad] - Post-UMAT 2017 Debrief Thread - 2016

Last edited:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Yes, these, but for 2017 and 2018. Though my examples also work :D

Hi LMG!,

I was not paying attention to the details as I assumed you will be on top of it. I have edited my previous post and it now includes the 2018 curves for reference.

academedical

PGY1 - Otago MBChB

ETA2: Unless we are talking about completely different things (possible!), then the above isn’t the case at all. I haven’t found the tables yet (I know they’re posted, but there’s 65 pages of post-2017UMAT chat to sift through to find them!), but I found this:

Percentile: 95

(bolding mine)

Section One:45
Section Two:62
Section Three: 53
Overall Percentile Rank: 66

Yes you're right, sorry! I got my own marks wrong :rolleyes: - thought I got 160 at 94th percentile but it was 186. Sorry about that!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hubs said you don't have to write a lot to get all the marks...

Bioc is the opposite?

Hi wongton,

I would say it will be more of less the same for BIOC192. You never need to/want to write a lot. You just need to write the right answers. For instance, one mark is worth about one idea/sentence. This is pretty normal across different science papers. Also, it is really annoying for the marker if you write a lot. The best answers (from the markers point of view) are the most concise answers that include all the necessary ideas/concepts.

I find that people who write a lot don't come first a lot of the time.

Good luck!

Polar

Please, no one tell me that bioc exam was easy

P.s does anyone know if its possible to apply for auckland hsfy or biomed first year after completing otago hsfy? Bit serious bit curious

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Please, no one tell me that bioc exam was easy

P.s does anyone know if its possible to apply for auckland hsfy or biomed first year after completing otago hsfy? Bit serious bit curious

Hi,

I have never heard of BIOC192 being easy (on average), so it probably was challenging.

Yes, it is possible and some people do move to Auckland every year. They don't call it HSFY, though. It's a BHSc or BSc (Biomedical Science). They are just normal degrees, but you can apply for MBChB at the end under the First Year category.

Polar

Hi,

I have never heard of BIOC192 being easy (on average), so it probably was challenging.

Yes, it is possible and some people do move to Auckland every year. They don't call it HSFY, though. It's a BHSc or BSc (Biomedical Science). They are just normal degrees, but you can apply for MBChB at the end under the First Year category.
Wow thank you! Thats good to know

Status
Not open for further replies.