Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

hs2000

I’ve heard that JCU and JMP sometimes get you to teach the interviewer something as part of the interview, for example how to hold chopsticks. What other topics/skills are good to teach (and are easy to teach) in this sort of task?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I’ve heard that JCU and JMP sometimes get you to teach the interviewer something as part of the interview, for example how to hold chopsticks. What other topics/skills are good to teach (and are easy to teach) in this sort of task?

I’ve not heard of this personally, but how about tying shoelaces? :D

1234med

Is there a interview question thread solely for UWA, like the one for JCU? I tried typing 'UWA interview' in the search bar but it came up with every mention of the interview, rather than tips/ advice/ practise questions.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is there a interview question thread solely for UWA, like the one for JCU? I tried typing 'UWA interview' in the search bar but it came up with every mention of the interview, rather than tips/ advice/ practise questions.
UWA has their interviewees sign a NDA (a confidentiality agreement) so anybody that interviewed there cannot share the questions they were asked with others.

Does anyone have any tips for practicing simplifying technical passages? I got stumped on these at last year's interviews so really want to practice not freaking out! I don't really know where I could find passages to practice this skill - everything I find on medical journals are too complicated to understand or way too long. Also some practice questions on ethical topics such as euthanasia??

Also I have taken 2 gap years since school. However in the interviews, is it considered especially desirable or undesirable to mention gap years? I've received conflicting advice from doctors/med students - don't mention as it downplays your maturity level, mention it because it shows my determination for med (failed 2 times but still tried again), and another said that I can use it to say that I gained life experience but dont bring up umat. Thoughts on this??

Pls pls someone answer as I have interviews coming up next week! I'll be eternally grateful

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Also some practice questions on ethical topics such as euthanasia??

Also I have taken 2 gap years since school. However in the interviews, is it considered especially desirable or undesirable to mention gap years? I've received conflicting advice from doctors/med students - don't mention as it downplays your maturity level, mention it because it shows my determination for med (failed 2 times but still tried again), and another said that I can use it to say that I gained life experience but dont bring up umat. Thoughts on this??
I haven't interviewed at any of the undergraduate entry schools other than JCU, so I don't actually know what is specifically assessed in most of them (other than the key general themes that all medicine interviews are supposed to assess), so take this with a grain of salt.

Some general ethical topics to think about: euthanasia, abortion, opt-in vs opt-out organ donation, should vaccinations be compulsory/enforced, asylum seekers/refugees and current policies, mental health issues in Australia and specifically in the medical profession.

Good things to be able to answer about the above:
- What are the pros and cons of euthanasia/abortion/opt-out organ donation/enforced vaccinations
- What is your personal opinion on the above topics and why?

There's no correct answers to those per se - the interviewers just want to see that you can view issues from multiple perspectives and can form your own viewpoint and justify it.

As for the gap year question, I think honesty is the best way to go in an interview (don't hide that you've taken gap years if it comes up). However, I personally wouldn't say that I took two whole years off without starting tertiary study to resit the UMAT - I'd focus on the other things that you got up to during that time that helped you grow as a person (think employed work, volunteering, travel etc). A very common question is what you will do if you don't get into medicine - taking another year off to try for medicine again is not the right answer here, as it demonstrates close-mindedness and a "med is the be all and end all" viewpoint, which is a bit of a red flag.

Of course, honesty is usually the best approach and trying to gain entry into med over several attempts does demonstrate your determination, persistence etc - just be wary of what I mentioned and make sure you mention other valid reasons for your gap years.

Others may chip in here with a different viewpoint, but that's my 2c.

Reactions: A1

A1

Rookie Doc
Others may chip in here with a different viewpoint, but that's my 2c.

Pretty much agreed with what Crow has said. Don't specifically bring out the gap years unless asked about; then focus on the positives you've gained from it. But don't use the gap years to demonstrate your determination as that's often seen in a negative way; in most people's view the positive way would be to start uni study hard for excellent GPA & Gamsat for grad entry.

GottaGo

I have a dent and med interview at Adelaide next week and I was wondering how you guys would recommend answering the "what would you do if you didn't get into med/dent?". Medicine is my first preference with dentistry as more of a backup (if home state doesn't work out either). I'm more concerned about what to respond to the "what if you didn't get into dentistry" since it is my backup to medicine.

Any advice?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I have a dent and med interview at Adelaide next week and I was wondering how you guys would recommend answering the "what would you do if you didn't get into med/dent?". Medicine is my first preference with dentistry as more of a backup (if home state doesn't work out either). I'm more concerned about what to respond to the "what if you didn't get into dentistry" since it is my backup to medicine.

Any advice?
My advice would be to actually think about what you will do if you don't get into medicine or dentistry - it's a very real possibility for most (and actually the most likely outcome for most applicants will be that they don't gain entry into either course).

Given both of these courses are highly competitive and rely on interviews in order to gain entry, unless you have an ATAR or UMAT score that will guarantee you entry into medicine or dentistry at a university other than Adelaide, then you are also subject to the possibility of not gaining entry (unfortunate but true). What about medicine or dentistry makes you want to pursue them as careers? I guarantee at least some of your motivations would be satisfied in another career path - think about this, and then answer honestly in the interview. The interviewers absolutely have grounds to ask you what your plan is if you gain entry into neither course.

Good luck :)

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
Oh, how incredibly frustrating.

Are the dates they’re quoting correct? Do you have a record of when you sent SATAC your stat dec?
I just looked through the inbox and yes, actually it was my fault. Not sure about the 5 day thing but I did find an email saying I had to submit my stat dec by the 5th but I uploaded it on the 10th .
To quote the email:
To be considered for the Rural Background Entry pathway you must submit a statutory declaration to SATAC confirming that you meet the above criteria by 11:59pm Friday 5 October 2018.
If you submit a statutory declaration and establish you are eligible to be considered under the Rural Background Entry pathway, SATAC will email you confirmation of your eligibility by Friday 12 October 2018.
So the error was that I got a confirmation despite sending my stat Dec in a week late.
I wouldn't have been able to attend the interview anyway so I'm not too upset but if any 2020-entries are reading make sure to read carefully for all universities rip!!

A1

Rookie Doc

Any advice?

The standard answer to this is you will then enroll in some realistic course (something like hmm... Quantum Physics, Nuclear Engineering), achieve a high GPA, apply for non-standard med/dent during 1st & 2nd year. If still not in go on to Gemsas for grad entry. If still not in with Gemsas then pursue a career in like federal politics since you really want to help shake up the health services system.

(Just a suggestion, you don't have to use it verbatim haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.