Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Oceanic University of Medicine

Kinetica

Hi

Wondering if anyone has undertaken or is currently in this course. Also looking on the opportunities in undertaking clinical rounds in Australia and the chances of obtaining internship.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
A rather true term.

You would need to sit the relevant AMC exams before being considered to apply to practice in Australia. There are barely enough internship positions out there for graduates from Australia, a graduate from OUM would not come close to getting one.

Thus, impossible.

chinaski

Perhaps it's rather an "unwelcome" term that's hard to hear...?

With regards to your chances of "undertaking clinical rounds in Australia" as an overseas student, you'd be best referring to the school itself with that enquiry. Certainly, outside of applying to do an elective term in Australia, there would be no formal route for you to arrange such a thing independently, if the school itself did not already arrange it for you.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
As others have mentioned, chances of attaining an internship are close to nil. They're close enough to zero that studying overseas with the hope of returning to Australia is not a good pursuit.

L

Logic

Yep, as others have said: considering the fact that many international students miss out (who have studied in Australian universities), you trying to gain internship in Aus from an international university is virtually impossible.

A1

Rookie Doc
Rather absolute term.

I hope these numbers help explain why it's rather absolute.

First have a look at the second half of this link > National Internship Crisis | Australian Medical Students’ Association
internships in Aus are allocated more or less in this order of priority:

1) Aus (citizen/PR) grads in the state
2) Aus grads of interstate med schools
3) Int'l grads in the state
4) Int'l grads of interstate med schools
5) Grads of overseas med schools
(in Vic & WA (2) and (3) are swapped around but that's irrelevant here).

Recent years there have been around 3450 internships per year; which go to 2950 CSP/BMP grads + 200 Aus full-fee grads first, leaving ~300 spots for the 500 int'l grads to compete for. There's nothing left afterwards for priority (5).

Numerouno

Yes very true from A1 and Chinaski posts. I have some connection with the OMG programs through a few overseas graduates (Australian citizens) who gained placements (with some waiting periods ) after finishing AMC exams (both parts)..this happened in rural placements and after continuous searching for placement in remote areas...the quickest placement happened was for one person with AMC1 in South Australia last year within a couple of months. I know this person personally.

Another option is that OMGs pass AMC1 and get placed by the JMO unit in WBA programs within hospitals ( Workplace Based Assessment) instead of AMC2 Clinicals and may get employed through that system ! While in WBA they are treated like Interns who go through various rotations, but get assessed periodically and get paid as well. So, there is a glimmer of hope for OMGs but only a small number get this WBA opportunity solely managed out of JMO program. Not sure what happens to the OMGs after the WBA as they would have effectively finished the "pseudo internship" for one year employed through the hospital system ...will they get absorbed for RMO like Australian graduates Interns? I must find out more...

A1

Rookie Doc
I have some connection with the OMG programs through a few overseas graduates (Australian citizens) who gained placements (with some waiting periods ) after finishing AMC exams (both parts)..this happened in rural placements and after continuous searching for placement in remote areas...

It's relevant to refer to this report again
> http://www.coaghealthcouncil.gov.au/Portals/0/Report on the National Audit of Applications and Acceptances for Medical Internship and the Late Vacancy Management Process for 2017 Clinical Year.pdf

For 2017 recruitment there were 3740 applicants for 3440 intern positions
(3340 State/Territory + 100 Cmwth Medical Internships for int'l students).

By Dec 2016, 3412 had accepted a position (3066 Aus CSP/FFP, 335 int'l, 10 AMC-accredited NZ/offshore campus, 1 AMC-pathway).

Through either late declines or more positions created the Late Vacancy program made 75 additional offers by March 2017.
Interestingly 12 of those 75 offers were declined (by 1 NZ grad + 11 Aus-trained int'l grads).

I guess some of these 12 positions were then made available to OMGs.

EtA: It looks like almost 400 int'l grads out of 500 got internships, not a bad ratio.

Last edited:

Numerouno

Thanks, A1 for this great insight. It's interesting to note the declined positions went to help the OMGs. But it may not happen all the time.

chinaski

Yes very true from A1 and Chinaski posts. I have some connection with the OMG programs through a few overseas graduates (Australian citizens) who gained placements (with some waiting periods ) after finishing AMC exams (both parts)..this happened in rural placements and after continuous searching for placement in remote areas...the quickest placement happened was for one person with AMC1 in South Australia last year within a couple of months. I know this person personally.

Another option is that OMGs pass AMC1 and get placed by the JMO unit in WBA programs within hospitals ( Workplace Based Assessment) instead of AMC2 Clinicals and may get employed through that system ! While in WBA they are treated like Interns who go through various rotations, but get assessed periodically and get paid as well. So, there is a glimmer of hope for OMGs but only a small number get this WBA opportunity solely managed out of JMO program. Not sure what happens to the OMGs after the WBA as they would have effectively finished the "pseudo internship" for one year employed through the hospital system ...will they get absorbed for RMO like Australian graduates Interns? I must find out more...

Any stats as to how many PGY1 doctors from overseas take up those internships, and how many are more senior doctors who need a period of supervised practice as a part if their credentialing or retraining?

d99

As everyone has already demonstrated, IMGs that want to work in Australia have zero chance gaining registration through the traditional internship matching system local students use.

However, this doesn't mean that an IMG will never get registration. What most do is apply for odd jobs in rural areas/areas of need. They work in a department at the level of an intern/JMO, or in a general practice setting if they have suitable overseas GP experience. Eventually when they work in the department long enough, they are able to apply to the AMC/AHPRA for general registration and then 'mix in' with everyone else. These jobs are very difficult to find and are highly contested amongst IMGs, but I imagine an Australian citizen who speaks good English would be preferenced over an non-Australian IMG. The competent authority pathway has made it even harder for non-UK/US/etc. IMGs to find jobs in Australia.

The door is very much closed for any IMG. Its much simpler to study in Australia, even if it means sacrificing extra years for study/GAMSAT.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Well, it sounds like you're trying to hear what you want to hear, rather than hear the truth, which is that going to OUM will do you no favours if you want to work in Australia.