Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2019 Chat/Enquiry

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

Welcome to MSO!

This is the thread for First year BHSc or BSC (Biomedical Science) students at Auckland University. This is the place to meet and interact with others who will also be going through the same challenges in 2019.

We do have a lot information about the course(s) on the forum, anything from accommodation advice to content advice. So, we encourage our users to have a thorough search prior to asking questions. This is mainly to avoid repeated questions which can quickly become a problem. However, do not be afraid to ask questions. If you cannot find anything relevant, feel free to post here.

Finally, if you are a new member, be sure to familiarise yourself with the MSO rules.

Thank you and good luck!

Nata

Hi all, I have been accepted into the first year of Biomed starting 2019 as a mature student, hoping to get into pharmacy or optometry, who knows I might do so well that I could even apply for med! would love to hear from more mature students who will be in the same boat next year! How are you preparing yourself for the first year of Biomed? feeling quite anxious at the moment, not having studied chem/biology/physics for some years! but back in the old days I Aced them all ;-)

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
How are you preparing yourself for the first year of Biomed?

I can't speak for everyone, but what I would recommend is that you enjoy your summer, and make sure you are fresh in mind and ready to tackle the year when it starts :)

I happen to know a few people who did pre-study over the summer and ended up burning out quickly. I recommend putting in the work once you're there to start.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Depends on what you're good at, but I do know PHIL105g is a popular choice. MUS144g and 149g are also popular among those taking a 2nd Gen Ed beyond first year. Apparently, DANCE101g is easy to do, but hard to get a good grade in?

Definitely have a look at the EMHSS and Open lists to see what you think you might be good at. Interest will play a part too.

vhunter

PGY1
Gen eds are all designed to be easy, maybe with the exception of the law gen ed and language papers. If it fits with your schedule and it's on the general or health sciences list, just pick what you think you'll enjoy.

laserwise

UoA MBChB II
I'm a first year biomed student who has just finished up exams on Saturday, and although an enjoyable gen ed means motivation to go to lectures is higher, I would honestly just pick one where the assessment style makes it easier to get a high mark to take some of the stress off. I took COMMS 104G which was very interesting; however, it will be the reason my overall GPA drops simply because I could not dedicate as much time as I wanted to to the assignments. I live in one of the first year halls, and gen eds that seem to be good and popular based on who I've talked to are the Maori paper as well as ECON 151 if you have taken economics previously, or the youth work paper. Music requires quite a bit of essay writing and memorization for the final exam, and PHIL 105G has been restructured I'm pretty sure to be much more difficult that previous years (I swapped out of it in the second week of semester).

heartley

Does anyone have an insight into Pharmacy 111g? I've been in pharmacy (as a tech) for over 15 years and have a pretty good understanding of conditions and treatments? I applied for Maori but that was declined last week due to previous study.

Hi all, I have been accepted into the first year of Biomed starting 2019 as a mature student, hoping to get into pharmacy or optometry, who knows I might do so well that I could even apply for med! would love to hear from more mature students who will be in the same boat next year! How are you preparing yourself for the first year of Biomed? feeling quite anxious at the moment, not having studied chem/biology/physics for some years! but back in the old days I Aced them all ;-)

Nata, I'm a mature student also.

Littlebro

Does anyone have an insight into Pharmacy 111g? I've been in pharmacy (as a tech) for over 15 years and have a pretty good understanding of conditions and treatments? I applied for Maori but that was declined last week due to previous study.

Hey there,

Personally I didn't do PHARMACY 111G this year (I did SPANISH 104G) but to get some past students' insights you may want to check this out PHARMACY 111 - reviews

I think someone on this thread in 2017 may have mentioned doing it too.

Venus

Pharmacy 111g was my initial choice this year but they informed me that I would not be allowed to apply for pharmacy if I had chose pharmacy 111g as my gen. ed. course. So if you're also planning on applying for pharmacy you might have to pick something else.

heartley

Pharmacy 111g was my initial choice this year but they informed me that I would not be allowed to apply for pharmacy if I had chose pharmacy 111g as my gen. ed. course. So if you're also planning on applying for pharmacy you might have to pick something else.

Thanks that's good to know.

Nata

Can anyone confirm whether Maor130g is still a sem 2 gen ed option? Looks like maybe its not available anymore o-o
Hi, I chose Maori 130g as my general ed for the first semester of 2019! you do general ed in the first semester in 2019 unlike other years, they have moved biosci 101 to semester 2! hope that helps

Nata, I'm a mature student also.
sweet, are you doing biomed next year?

Last edited by a moderator:

coldhart

Lurker
Current status for BHSc students

Maori 130G is no longer available to us
Intbus 151G clashes with all arrangements
Econ 151G clashes with all arrangements

This leaves us with Phil 105G, the riskiest option of these 4(?). Its reviews look generally bad, esp. the recent ones.

Anyone else freaking about this?

Rob
vhunter
Stuart

Emerald01

This leaves us with Phil 105G, the riskiest option of these 4(?). Its reviews look generally bad, esp. the recent ones.

Rob
vhunter
Stuart

Hey, I did PHIL 105G and got and A in it. I spent hardly any time on it, and really it just involved spending 10 minutes a week writing a post, there were 3 essays which took like 1 hour each, and the exam which was quite easy to study for (just 50 mcqs). I just made notes on each weekly content, so would spend 2 hours on that per week and didn't watch or go to any lectures, only the intro one. Plus, my grade scaled from an A- to an A due to the fact that the whole cohort includes a range of people in different degrees so the marks are generally lower. Econ would suck, and I heard intbus is hard so I would go with PHIL. Choose the online option, and just nut it out haha :)
Also, there were 4 essays, but you only had to do three. Also, only went to one tutorial as you could actually ask q's on the online office hour.

WellyOnAGoodDay

UoA MBChB IV 2021

Rob
vhunter
Stuart

Don't stress about your Gen-Ed at all. In hindsight I think i would've been best to take Maori 130G as it would've helped with the interview (bare in mind i did end up doing just fine without it). However, I ended up taking Spanish 104G and got an A+ in it with minimal effort (I am good at languages) even though most people say languages are the hardest gen eds. The thing is Gen Eds aren't supposed to be that hard - and you don't have to try get an A grade in them. I think its more important just to choose one you're interested in and don't stress about it. The whole 'which gen ed is the best thing' is just another unnecessary stressor that you don't need in biomed/healthsci first year hahaha.

vhunter

PGY1
Yeah, what WellyOnAGoodDay said. every year people worry about what gen eds, but the thing is, gen eds are all supposed to be 'easy'. And you don't need to get a good grade in your gen Ed paper. You just need to pass it and get a B+ average (I think?) over all. It's a bit of a shame Māori 130G isn't an option anymore since I quite enjoyed it and I think the content is something medical student benefit from learning about, but I know several people who did phil105G and they all thought it was fine. My friends did all sorts of gen eds, from disability to dance studies, and overall they all seemed to have had a good experience.

Littlebro

Agree with WellyOnAGoodDay . I unfortunately didn't make it (I'm hoping it's mainly because my core GPA/UMAT weren't competitive enough and not because my MMI was poor lol) but I also found SPANISH pretty enjoyable and managed A+ in it. Having said that, it's more likely to be that way if you've done a Romantic language before - I found heaps of people without that sort of experience struggling as the workload can feel much for a Gen Ed. Also agree with vhunter in the sense that there are plenty of interesting gen eds out there - it is unwise to choose one only because you think it's particularly "easy". I know loads of people who got crazy about PHIL 105G at the start of Semester Two (because they were hoping it would be particularly easy) then a few weeks in loathed it with every inch of their being - you probably want to enjoy your Gen Ed especially since some of the non cores can feel dull as heck.