Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelly Boy

I can be ur angle 😇 or ur devil 😈
Valued Member
Hi all!

Not sure if this is the right place, but need some advice so I can arrange my preferences
I applied with the intention of deferring for a year. The WSU website says MD is exempt from deferral though:
How to defer your offer - Starting at Western Sydney University
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and what the process is for JMP? Is it exempt here too?
I emailed WSU & JMP about this

WSU replied saying that you can’t defer the offer but you can enrol & then apply for a 12 month break from studying (& then you can’t do this 12 month break thing again I think)

JMP replied saying you can defer your offer

ELLA56

WSU MD I
I emailed WSU & JMP about this

WSU replied saying that you can’t defer the offer but you can enrol & then apply for a 12 month break from studying (& then you can’t do this 12 month break thing again I think)

JMP replied saying you can defer your offer

Oh Pheww. Thanks so much for your reply!

NG

hey could someone help me out real quick :)

what kind of feelings are natural after doing an interview? i originally felt happy and good walking out but a few days later im starting to reflect and think that i could have said things slightly differently that may have even been better? im really not sure whether this is a normal feeling to have after an interview. does everyone feel like this?

Smelly Boy

Valued Member
hey could someone help me out real quick :)

what kind of feelings are natural after doing an interview? i originally felt happy and good walking out but a few days later im starting to reflect and think that i could have said things slightly differently that may have even been better? im really not sure whether this is a normal feeling to have after an interview. does everyone feel like this?
During my lunch break at work today I was googling this & reading american pre-med forums & basically my conclusion from reading is that it’s quite common for people to feel a certain way regarding how they went & then their feeling conflicting with the actual results. It’s also very common for people to replay it in their head and think of extra things to say that wouldve been good (in their opinion). I honestly think it’s best if you just try & forget it & keep yourself busy.

Luckily for me I have full time work during my holiday so I can keep my mind off the interview but i still wonder about it before bed here & there!

Also it’s important to realise that nobody has perfect answers for all the MMI questions. It’s OK to have some things missing & have answers that aren’t perfect. It’s absolutely normal. You were in a high pressure environment & so was everyone else. Everyone was nervous & I can guarantee that everyone missed out on saying something they would’ve said if they weren’t in such a high pressure context & had a clearer mind.

Personally, I felt like for my JMP interview that I nailed 2 stations on the head, & did the other 6 pretty well. Wasn’t unhappy with any of them. I felt like I did pretty good. I hope what’s ‘pretty good’ for me is good enough for a spot in the JMP :D

Numerouno

I am back in the thick again with presentations due next week. Did not have much time to reflect on my JMP performance in the long haul flight...damn tired to be honest. Three days of leave was hard to get of which two days went in flying (lucky I had the weekend in between), there was no time to complain the jet lag (23 hours).

The MSA was very interesting ... a good experience, different to what I experienced overseas. I felt very comfortable in all barring one station and put in a decent show. The PQA was an unknown as everyone finished within 30 minutes including me. Overall, I felt satisfied but whatever the outcome, I will take it. Last year I felt after the UNSW interview, I conquered it only to face the negative at the end...so I have a balanced thinking this time with no real expectations. Good luck to all in any future interviews from other states. Don't brood over it, you have done it already and can not undo the performance...if you feel you have given your max potential, there will be a reward. Best wishes.

Just something thats been eating away at me for a bit. I had an Adelaide interview last week on Wednesday (which has two stations and two interviewers per station). First station seemed fine, the interviewers were neutral but attentive.

In the second station I struggled hard near the start. Halfway through, one of the interviewers kept staring directly at the other interviewer for like 20 seconds at a time. It was extremely off putting and I think it may be because he thought I was too well prepared or rehearsed, and was signalling this to the other interviewer? Am I just going crazy due to anxiety or is this something that interviewers can/will do?

Smelly Boy

Valued Member
Just something thats been eating away at me for a bit. I had an Adelaide interview last week on Wednesday (which has two stations and two interviewers per station). First station seemed fine, the interviewers were neutral but attentive.

In the second station I struggled hard near the start. Halfway through, one of the interviewers kept staring directly at the other interviewer for like 20 seconds at a time. It was extremely off putting and I think it may be because he thought I was too well prepared or rehearsed, and was signalling this to the other interviewer? Am I just going crazy due to anxiety or is this something that interviewers can/will do?
I know that you already know this but you should ignore whatever you think the interviewers did to suggest you weren’t a good candidate.

Firstly, I think you’re overstating how long the staring was. I mean just time 20 seconds on your phone using the stopwatch... that’s a LONG time. imagine staring at another interviewer for that long in front of an applicant. Does it take that long to signal that you seem rehearsed? If anything maybe the interviewer fancied the other interviewer ;)

I really just think they may have been looking at something that was on the other side of the interviewer or they felt awkward not speaking so they shifted their eyes elsewhere. If this isn’t the case then you could assume that maybe they did that to test how you react in stressful situations. I know that at almost every medicine interview they have some way of doing this. At mine there was a person who seemed proper pissed off every time I asked him to repeat a question (at the end we laughed but idk where that came from) because he was literally scoffing while speaking. Turns out he did that to my friend as well. Another one of my friends did an ANU grad interview last year and his interviewer called him a liar when he said he enjoyed watching a certain sport & supported a certain team but when asked if he watched any of the games recently he said no because he was really really busy with his honours stuff. The interviewer said it’s not a good look to lie in your interview. He ended up getting a spot in the course probably because he handled it well.

I’ve read on forums that some interviewers respond things like “did you really just use that example” when they ask a question like give me an example of when you’ve worked in a team. Turns out they did something like that for every applicant.

You get the point of what I’m saying. Bottom line is don’t worry :D

I know that you already know this but you should ignore whatever you think the interviewers did to suggest you weren’t a good candidate.

Firstly, I think you’re overstating how long the staring was. I mean just time 20 seconds on your phone using the stopwatch... that’s a LONG time. imagine staring at another interviewer for that long in front of an applicant. Does it take that long to signal that you seem rehearsed? If anything maybe the interviewer fancied the other interviewer ;)

I really just think they may have been looking at something that was on the other side of the interviewer or they felt awkward not speaking so they shifted their eyes elsewhere. If this isn’t the case then you could assume that maybe they did that to test how you react in stressful situations. I know that at almost every medicine interview they have some way of doing this. At mine there was a person who seemed proper pissed off every time I asked him to repeat a question (at the end we laughed but idk where that came from) because he was literally scoffing while speaking. Turns out he did that to my friend as well. Another one of my friends did an ANU grad interview last year and his interviewer called him a liar when he said he enjoyed watching a certain sport & supported a certain team but when asked if he watched any of the games recently he said no because he was really really busy with his honours stuff. The interviewer said it’s not a good look to lie in your interview. He ended up getting a spot in the course probably because he handled it well.

I’ve read on forums that some interviewers respond things like “did you really just use that example” when they ask a question like give me an example of when you’ve worked in a team. Turns out they did something like that for every applicant.

You get the point of what I’m saying. Bottom line is don’t worry :D
Thanks man, think I might take a break from the forum lol. Hopefully it all goes well.

live1234

I think what you experienced is normal/fine and Smelly Boy has broken it down well. I had a station at my interview where the interviewer didn't look up at me at all. I was confused and didn't quite know what was going on for a few seconds - but at the end of the day all you can do is your best! :)

Thanks man, think I might take a break from the forum lol. Hopefully it all goes well.

I had an interview on Wednesday last week too!
What time did you come?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Adelaide Interview experience:

In both my interviews, there was one person who would ask most questions and one observer, who would sometimes ask additional questions.

Station 1:
- 1 Scenario (Given on the spot, in the middle of the interview)
- Personal questions

Station 2:
- 2 Scenarios (One given before going in and one given on the spot)
- Questions regarding the course/university
- Additional questions regarding qualities and values
- Other personal questions

In the scenarios, I made sure to mention key words, and I had considered other viewpoints and discussed "what if this? what if that?", I also mentioned that a compromise may be possible but they don't want that, I tried but they'll pressure you to choose one or the other.

All in all, not bad at all compared ot my other interviews.

Edited by moderator 12/12/2018 as phone interviews may not have been conducted yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Any suggestions for an interview invite tomorrow from UNSW, please? ATAR 99.20 UMAT 93%ile. I got the interview last year with a predicted ATAR 99.50 but a much lower 85%ile UMAT score, I can not predict this now as the scales have changed with one lower and the other higher. Good for my classmate who had 99.25 ATAR and 94%ile and got the offer and is now finishing Medicine year 1. UMAT could be the factor (?) I think although I felt pretty good after the interview. Flying back to Australia this weekend for Chrissy holidays break.

UNSW will use your ATAR and GPA 50/50. Remind me what your GPA is and I’ll have a look at the data.

ETA: [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks LMG. When the application was sent I did not have a GPA as I had not commenced the course at that time and currently, it stands at 3.65/4.0 after the first half of a semester. IDK how this will be known and taken into calculation as it is from overseas? I got that info only this Monday from my university.

Hmmm, I have no idea whether it’ll be taken into consideration. If it’s only 1/4 of a year, then it possibly won’t be. Regardless, I linked the data I was talking about above.

A1

Rookie Doc
Any suggestions for an interview invite tomorrow from UNSW, please? ATAR 99.20 UMAT 93%ile. I got the interview last year with a predicted ATAR 99.50 but a much lower 85%ile UMAT score, I can not predict this now as the scales have changed with one lower and the other higher. Good for my classmate who had 99.25 ATAR and 94%ile and got the offer and is now finishing Medicine year 1. UMAT could be the factor (?) I think although I felt pretty good after the interview. Flying back to Australia this weekend for Chrissy holidays break.

Assuming you have not done more than 1 semester of uni by end of year UNSW won't combine your GPA (only do if 0.75+ FTE). You got the interview last year largely based on the predicted 99.50; with actual 99.20 & 85th%ile you wouldn't have been invited so that was the main reason you weren't successful for a place even with a top interview score.

This year with 99.20 & 93rd%ile you should get an interview and stand better chance than last year, for an indication I'd guesstimate it at around 30%. With an excellent interview you should secure a place offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.