Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd Interview spaces for New Zealanders?

yukimura

Lurker
For the University of Sydney Double degree medicine program, how many spaces are allocated for New Zealanders? On the page it says 30 domestic +10 International spaces. Are we part of the 30 domestic spaces?
Also do the spaces refer to both interview sessions? So would it be split between 15 domestic and 5 international for December session and so forth?

How many New Zealanders get the interview? Does anyone who gets 3a* in CIE get the interview offer, or is it also dependent on how high the score?

And also are we competing only against other New Zealanders so we only have a few spaces?
I do CIE and I know many people who got 3 a* which is equivalent to 99.95 ATAR.

Also how many people will be at the interview?
Is it the same probability to get in for NZ students?

A1

Rookie Doc
We believe USyd success ratio is around half to 2 in 3, which means they interview about 50-60 not counting internationals. Not sure about 1st vs 2nd round ratio.

I don't think there's any separate quota/consideration for NZ vs Aus applicants. However someone has said on MSO USyd allocates only 10% = 3 places to interstate/NZ students, it's unconfirmed and myself I think that's kind of extreme.

yukimura

Lurker
Alrighty, also another question, what is the oral interview like? Is it a question to do with ethics or will it be a general question which may be what are the qualities of doctor?

What will also be in the written assessment? General questions such as why Usyd and why medicine? Will it include an ethical scenario to discuss?

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Everyone who achieves the grade boundary is considered equal, so no matter how you got your A*, the raw score does not matter :) .

I'm also pretty sure that 3A* is indeed 99.95 in Sydney, but do keep in mind that some universities require 4A*, and some require you to have achieved all the A* in the same year.

(Offtopic): I'm very surprised that the success rate is as high as 2/3. Like you, I knew very many NZ students in my year that achieved 3A*. I would say about 30+ students in my year achieved it, from which I would say 20 wanted to do Med.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
(Offtopic): I'm very surprised that the success rate is as high as 2/3. Like you, I knew very many NZ students in my year that achieved 3A*. I would say about 30+ students in my year achieved it, from which I would say 20 wanted to do Med.

How many of them apply to USyd though?

But regardless, the 1/2 to 2/3 success rate is for overall, if it's true that USyd allocates a limited quota to interstate/NZ applicants then their success rate is much smaller.

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
We believe USyd success ratio is around half to 2 in 3, which means they interview about 50-60 not counting internationals. Not sure about 1st vs 2nd round ratio.

I don't think there's any separate quota/consideration for NZ vs Aus applicants. However someone has said on MSO USyd allocates only 10% = 3 places to interstate/NZ students, it's unconfirmed and myself I think that's kind of extreme.

They definitely allocate more than 3. Last year 7 people from my school made it in there so I think it is more of a meritocratic thing.

2xq

Allied Health Member
any student got accepted in DDMP this year, looking to make some friends before the semester :) thanks
Hi there! I'm no representative from the DDMP program or in that program. I want to let you know of a society you could possibly check out to get to know other people in the same program. The University of Sydney Combined Medicine Association (COMA) is a society purely for those in the DDMP program. If you have decided to commit to the DDMP program, please make sure to DM their Instagram page (@coma.usyd) and the COMA team will get you all sorted etc.

(also if a mod can move these to a more relevant thread, that would be greatly appreciated! thank youuuuuuuuuuu <3)