Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: Entry Information and Discussion

Haha, you know what, I just deleted the following from my previous reply because I didn't want to get you second guessing your mate but...

"A couple of years ago we had someone report an offer for their friend. Some of the details didn't really add up and when we pointed that out to the OP they went back to their buddy to clarify. Turns out the whole thing was a fabrication, likely driven by (misguided) shame about not getting an offer."

It's probably not the case, and there's no doubt some weird explanation, but yeah, it definitely happens, particularly in this highly competitive world.
Yep, I'm just as surprised as you all are. I received an offer from UTAS for a bonded spot with Atar: 99.80; Umat: 90% (S1: 56, S2: 56, S3: 68).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yep, I'm just as surprised as you all are. I received an offer from UTAS for a bonded spot with Atar: 99.80; Umat: 90% (S1: 56, S2: 56, S3: 68).

Hello! Thank you for sharing. Are you yummo11's friend, or a second person reporting an offer? Also, when did you get this offer? Sorry for all the questions! We are just all very puzzled!

yummo11

WSU MD I
Just to update I just got an unbonded offer so I guess they've changed the process? Also do you know what happens if we accept, can we still get offers from other unis after accepting?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just to update I just got an unbonded offer so I guess they've changed the process? Also do you know what happens if we accept, can we still get offers from other unis after accepting?

Yeah, of course. No other uni knows you have a UTAS offer.

ETA: Just realised it's you posting, not your mate! Haha! Congrats! And yeah, this clearly confirms some kind of altered process. Thank you!!

ETA 2: yummo11 and sk20010123 do either of you intend to accept a UTAS offer as a first preference, or are you both holding out for something else closer to home? (out of interest)

Last edited:

Kaw8

I got an offer 40 minutes ago at 10:04 pm Sydney time for a Bonded spot at UTAS!!!!

I'm from Sydney so I was VERY SURPRISED that they gave an offer to me this early being an interstate applicant!!

My Umat was 98th percentile and ATAR was 99.70 (gap year).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I got an offer 40 minutes ago at 10:04 pm Sydney time for a Bonded spot at UTAS!!!!

I'm from Sydney so I was VERY SURPRISED that they gave an offer to me this early being an interstate applicant!!

My Umat was 98th percentile and ATAR was 99.70.

Yeah, you're the third offer we've heard of! This is certainly unusual. Congratulations! Like I've asked the previous two applicants, where does UTAS sit on your preferences list? I assume you've interviewed in multiple other locations? Which uni are you most hoping for?

yummo11

WSU MD I

ETA: Just realised it's you posting, not your mate! Haha! Congrats! And yeah, this clearly confirms some kind of altered process. Thank you!!

ETA 2: yummo11 and sk20010123 do either of you intend to accept a UTAS offer as a first preference, or are you both holding out for something else closer to home? (out of interest)

I'm waiting to see if I get something closer to home

Kaw8

Yeah, you're the third offer we've heard of! This is certainly unusual. Congratulations! Like I've asked the previous two applicants, where does UTAS sit on your preferences list? I assume you've interviewed in multiple other locations? Which uni are you most hoping for?
I've interviewed all throughout NSW and for Adelaide U, tbh, I wouldn't mind going to Tassie since it seems like such a cool place to be, however, my friends and family would prefer me to stay closer to home. UNSW or WSU are closer to the top for me.

I’m hoping that I’ll get into UNSW but definitely wouldn’t mind going UTAS if UNSW doesn’t work out.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
These offers pouring in are getting more and more interesting! Why did Kaw8 get a BMP despite having higher combined scores than some others? And why are all offers coming from those in NSW? We've had none reported from any other state. I'm worried someone's accidentally hit send as they walked out late (and possibly drunk!) after an office Christmas party!!

Last edited:

Kaw8

Argh! I’m worried now as well! regarding the bonded/unbonded, my section scores were 67/58/72 , so perhaps my s2 score of 58 contributed to this? Apparently interstate applicants should have above 60+ for S2 to even get any offer so this is truely unexpected... if this is a mix-up, it might have to do with the TAS ATAR miscalculations?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Argh! I’m worried now as well! regarding the bonded/unbonded, my section scores were 67/58/72 , so perhaps my s2 score of 58 contributed to this? Apparently interstate applicants should have above 60+ for S2 to even get any offer so this is truely unexpected... if this is a mix-up, it might have to do with the TAS ATAR miscalculations?

We've had S2 as low as 54 reported, so I don't think that's it. It's all just super weird! The fact that offers are coming out so late at night on a Friday is also puzzling.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
For those playing along:

Last year we had ZERO interstate school leaver offers reported here at MSO. In addition to that, the following score combos received BMedRes guaranteed entry offers, not MBBS offers:

99th %ile, 99.45, interstate, non rural
99th %ile, 99.35, interstate, non rural
98th %ile, 99.05, interstate, non rural

We are now up to 9 (edited: 12) offers to applicants in this category reported over the past couple of hours. To anyone lurking, please throw your stats into the mix, or feel free to PM them to me.

Last edited:

Cocoa

Congratulations everyone, I have only received an initial password notification email from enrolments@utas, it gives me a student ID and password, what does the offer email look like? I don't want to assume I have got an offer, can anyone tell me what their offer email had as subject??

ShipWracked

Yeah this seems very interesting since my scores are lower than Kaw in every way (99.60 Atar and 97 UMAT) but i got an unbonded offer?
perhaps they only applied for bonded?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yeah this seems very interesting since my scores are lower than Kaw in every way (99.60 Atar and 97 UMAT) but i got an unbonded offer?
perhaps they only applied for bonded?

Last year, anyway, the applications (bonded and non-bonded) weren’t separated. It was just one MBBS application. Is that not the case this year?

That said, Kaw8 is also confused by this, so I don’t think that’s the answer.