Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My bad
S1: 55
S2: 54
S3: 63

Overall: 82nd percentile
Atar: 99.80

You may land Curtin and UWA interviews. You'd also get a Bond psychometric test invite if that was a financially viable study option for you. Do you have any bonuses that might increase your ATAR slightly with SACE? If so, then Flinders might also be an option. You'd be eligible for UMelb's Chancellor's Program, but it's FFP, I believe, for those between 99.00 and 99.89, and does involve an interview after 3rd year, before the MD (though no GAMSAT) so isn't strictly guaranteed entry Medicine. If you've applied to UTAS, you might find yourself invited to consider their BMedRes guaranteed entry program (though your UMAT will likely rule you out of direct entry).

What state are you from?

(the above is in addition to JCU and Griffith that you're already aware of).

brik

What would be the chance of getting an offer from UQ (Provisional entry for school leavers) having following numbers?
UMAT: 194 (97%)
ATAR: 99.00 (with NSW HSC mark Math Ext 1: 98, Ext 2: 95)

Will above math marks be applicable to bonus mark scheme ?

Does UQ combine UMAT and ATAR to rank applicants or do they qualify applicants with ATAR above 99.00 first and then rank applicants in the order of UMAT overall score plus bonus scheme ?

L

Logic

What would be the chance of getting an offer from UQ (Provisional entry for school leavers) having following numbers?
UMAT: 194 (97%)
ATAR: 99.00 (with NSW HSC mark Math Ext 1: 98, Ext 2: 95)

Will above math marks be applicable to bonus mark scheme ?

Does UQ combine UMAT and ATAR to rank applicants or do they qualify applicants with ATAR above 99.00 first and then rank applicants in the order of UMAT overall score plus bonus scheme ?
Hi,

Congrats the results. You should be receiving an unbonded offer for medicine at UQ based on previous years. At UQ, once you are 99 or above, ATAR is no longer looked at, you are ranked on your UMAT with no more consideration of the ATAR. Here are the cut off UMATs for previous years: Pathways and entry requirements. Your Extension 2 would give you 2 bonus points but you are already at 99 or above so it isn't relevant.

brik

Hi,

Congrats the results. You should be receiving an unbonded offer for medicine at UQ based on previous years. At UQ, once you are 99 or above, ATAR is no longer looked at, you are ranked on your UMAT with no more consideration of the ATAR. Here are the cut off UMATs for previous years: Pathways and entry requirements. Your Extension 2 would give you 2 bonus points but you are already at 99 or above so it isn't relevant.
Thanks for your information..hopefully UNSW offer comes through first on Jan 11th as I live close to UNSW.

Medtastic

Hi everybody,

Congrats to everyone who has already received offers! I'm just wondering if anybody knows whether UQ medicine makes more offers after the main offer round? My UMAT was 180 (58/62/60) which is EXACTLY the same as the non-rural bonded cutoff for 2018 UQ med (180 with a S1 58 tiebreaker). I've applied to unis interstate and already completed two interviews, but UQ is definitely my first preference due to the fact that I'm from Queensland and moving interstate/student accommodation etc is expensive. Also, bit of a hard question to answer, but does anyone have any theories as to whether this year's umat scores will be higher/lower for UQ?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Also, bit of a hard question to answer, but does anyone have any theories as to whether this year's umat scores will be higher/lower for UQ?
Tough question. Last year 180 was 90th %ile, whereas this year it looks slightly below 90th %ile which could potentially raise the cut-off this year (but that’s pure speculation as it will depend on the numbers that sat UMAT each year + the number that applied to UQ each year).

Yes, UQ participate in second round offers, but the stats posted on their website account for this.

bigaboy

Thanks for your information..hopefully UNSW offer comes through first on Jan 11th as I live close to UNSW.

Exact same position as you dude, very likely to get a UQ offer but less than 5 minutes drive from UNSW, the wait to Jan 11 is agonising

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys,

I think this question will be stupid, but I gotta ask ,
Are we allowed to sit the UCAT while studying an undergraduate degree? Or is the UCAT only for non-university people??

If we are allowed to sit it during a degree, do the results carry over to the following year?

Thanks!

Hi CardiacSurgeon, I'm just interested to know how come your religion only allows you to become a cardiothoracic surgeon? What happens if you choose another career path or don't get into med, let alone that speciality? Let us know and we can hopefully tailor some advice for you! :)

CardiacSurgeon

UQ Medicine (Year 1/7)
Hi CardiacSurgeon, I'm just interested to know how come your religion only allows you to become a cardiothoracic surgeon? What happens if you choose another career path or don't get into med, let alone that speciality? Let us know and we can hopefully tailor some advice for you! :)

Hello buddy!

Hope you're having a good day!
As you're asking, might as well say it :) So basically, I am a Hindu and belong to the organisation BAPS. In that we believe the ekantik saint (forever present on Earth) to possess God and for God to live on Earth through him. If anyone reading this is interested in learning about very influential people, read on the life of H.H. Pramukh Swami Maharaj (HH Pramukh Swami Maharaj) whenever you get time. He was my previous religious leader and now it is H.H. Mahant Swami Maharaj. So basically, at the beginning of 2018, I was a depressed mess and had no clue what to do with my life after year 12 but I luckily got decent grades in year 11 which allowed me to pick any subject. So i picked the suicide 5 subjects, to basically be allowes in any career path once I get a good ATAR. I had done this so I could ask my guru in March to pick my career for me (as i was in a mess and was indecisive) and did this because we believe him to be Antaryami (allknowing). He said to be a doctor in March so i sat the UMAT (31 percentile) and when I sent a letter, i asked if I should pursue my then dream of becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon and he said yes. So basically now, I have no other interests and only want to go into that career, which is very difficult with the 31 i got. I got a 98.15 raw ATAR, so can someone help by suggesting what I should do?

Thank you & I humbly apologise for the spam but just wanted to explain in detail

Could you please also answer my previous question about whether we are allowed to sit the UCAT while studying an undergrad degree?

Thank you mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1234med

If becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon is still your dream and a decision you made yourself, why not pursue it? Of course, understand what medicine and the career entails. Be realistic about the chances but I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go. Good luck!

CardiacSurgeon

UQ Medicine (Year 1/7)
If becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon is still your dream and a decision you made yourself, why not pursue it? Of course, understand what medicine and the career entails. Be realistic about the chances but I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go. Good luck!
Definitely :) I am never giving up, but just sorta stuck atm deciding between whether the graduate pathway is good or whether working hard during the year for UCAT good (would a 98.15 be competitive enough for Flinders/Adelaide?)

A1

Rookie Doc
(would a 98.15 be competitive enough for Flinders/Adelaide?)

For Flinders you need 99.90-.95 (after UES bonus) to have a good chance, 99.85 is also possible but requires a fairly high UMAT/UCAT to compensate, 99.80 is practically zero chance. It's why I've been suggesting you redo one/two subjects to pick up the 0.6 extra aggregate marks needed for 99.95 adjusted.

See this table for more information > [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

SACHIK

I just received my IB results. Feeling a bit disappointed with myself since I expected more from myself.
Will an ATAR of 97.50 be enough for UNSW with a 204 (99%ile) UMAT?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I just received my IB results. Feeling a bit disappointed with myself since I expected more from myself.
Will an ATAR of 97.50 be enough for UNSW with a 204 (99%ile) UMAT?
Unfortunately given the recent changes to the way UNSW assesses each criterion for its applicants (i.e. using a ranked list as opposed to letting one criterion outweigh another - see Ruffle's explanation of this here: Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018), I would say gaining entry into UNSW will be very unlikely. A1 is our admissions expert though and may have a different opinion. Hopefully you will gain a place offer at another university - I see that you've interviewed at JMP, WSU and Adelaide. Best of luck :)

SACHIK

Unfortunately given the recent changes to the way UNSW assesses each criterion for its applicants (i.e. using a ranked list as opposed to letting one criterion outweigh another - see Ruffle's explanation of this here: Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018), I would say gaining entry into UNSW will be very unlikely. A1 is our admissions expert though and may have a different opinion. Hopefully you will gain a place offer at another university - I see that you've interviewed at JMP, WSU and Adelaide. Best of luck :)
That's a bumer
Thanks though! :)