Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: Incoming Students

L

Logic

*Disclaimer: I'm posting this a bit early, offers aren't out yet!*
Hey, hope everyone's doing well! If you're reading this thread, I'm assuming you got an offer to study Med at UNSW, so congratulations!! (If not then I hope you get one :D )

I'm creating this thread to let everyone get to know each other and also allow you to ask any questions about UNSW Medicine (or just UNSW in general! ) as you get ready to start your first year at med. I'm a current medical student at UNSW so I'll do my best to give answers about everything from timetables to enrolling. Get ready for an amazing 6 years!!!

Lastly, hopefully some of you stick around on the MSO website to help future students who'll be as nervous as you were and share your experiences!! :) . Be sure to give the MSO FB page a like ;) : http://www.facebook.com/medstudentsonline/

Pages and Groups:

The UNSW Medicine Class of 2024 is your cohort's facebook group so be sure to join! You'll need a ZID to join as proof of being a UNSW Med Student: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2006041819693882/

The UNSW Medicine Noticeboard is for all years of medical students and has important notices about events and information posted by MedSoc etc. : http://www.facebook.com/groups/mednoticeboard/

Be sure to like the page of UNSW's Medical Society who represent you! : http://www.facebook.com/unsw.medical.society/?fref=gs&dti=1391799944434199&hc_location=group_dialog

UNSW MedSoc bookshop is where you can get medical textbooks for a good price :) : (although check out my advice in the next section first) : http://www.facebook.com/UNSW-Medsoc-Bookshop-155757507814775/

The following are special interest groups who put on events related to certain specialties:

UNSW Surgical Society: UNSW Surgical Society

UNSW Critical Care Society: UNSW Critical Care Society

UNSW Internal Medicine Society: UNSW Internal Medicine Society

UNSW Dermatology Society: UNSW Dermsoc

UNSW Women and Children’s Society: TBA

UNSW Oculussoc: Oculus Society (Ophthalmology Society of UNSW)

Other Great Groups for UNSW Med Students!!:

UNSW Rural Allied Health and Medical Society: RAHMS - Rural Allied Health and Medical Society

UNSW GPSN: UNSW GPSN

UNSW MedSoc’s Publications (Articles written by students) : The Jugular Publications

Here are performing arts groups that you can get involved in:

UNSW Medshow is a musical put on annually by medical students (not to be confused with med revue which is put on by students largely outside of medicine): UNSW MedShow

UNSW Medical Music Society: UNSW Medical Music Society

Logic's Tips and Tricks:

- Firstly, be sure to accept your offer and follow the instructions in your email in enrolling and registering for your classes based on your relevant campus.

- Be sure to get compliant as soon as you can!! That means getting your police checks, vaccinations etc. up to date. The faculty will be sending emails some time soon about when the date for compliance checks are: (basically just involves you showing your documents to confirm you’re compliant and them either writing down if you’re compliant, temporarily compliant or non compliant). Don’t worry if you’re not compliant yet, there’s still time and they have a few chances to check before your first hospital session, just be sure to get on it now!

- Utilise the UNSW Health service!! They're super nice and really experienced with helping you fill out the forms for compliance correctly and they were nice enough to give me a free booster vaccination, so definitely check them out. For my year they had a brief talk at the orientation session :)

- You might be wondering whether you have to buy a stethoscope. While you don’t need one this year, (Respiratory is a second year topic, and Cardiology alternates years and you guys will do it next year), you can get one if you really want. Most have either a Littmann Classic III and a few have Cardiology IV. You can buy them from on MedShop with a free engraving, or from the UNSW MedSoc Bookshop. Just keep in mind that you can put off purchasing one till next year :)

- In regards to buying textbooks, I wouldn't recommend buying anything yet. In my personal opinion, it's better to see which textbooks you like rather than buying off someone else's recommendations. If you find you need a textbook for a concept, then borrowing one from the UNSW library is a good idea and then if you like it, buying it.

- Check your UNSW email often! A lot of important information gets sent there, including emails from your hospitals.

- Just FYI you’ll start attending hospital sessions from Beginnings, Growth and Development A topic (Teaching Period 2, Medicine is split in two four teaching periods per year for the first two years). You will most likely have one session towards the end of teaching period 1 to get IDs if your hospital gives them out ;)

- Go to Medcamp!! It’s a great chance for you to mix with others outside your college (Medicine is divided into 4 colleges, with whom most of your classes will be) and to make friends!

- I wouldn't recommend studying at all in the holidays, there is no assumed knowledge and in the first teaching period, you'll be going through "Foundations" teaching you the basics of any knowledge you'll need. just enjoy yourself!

- Lastly, once again, feel free to post questions on this thread, or message me. For the benefit of everyone (because if you have a question, it’s most likely someone else does too) it’d be preferred if you posted here, but if it’s private then feel free to message me or contact MESO who are really helpful!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

H_______

Got offered a spot in Port Macquarie, but would still prefer Kensington. Anyone know the chances of/if even possible to get transferred back to Sydney?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Got offered a spot in Port Macquarie, but would still prefer Kensington. Anyone know the chances of/if even possible to get transferred back to Sydney?

This is dependent on your rank within the accepted cohort, which the school may or may not tell you about. If for example you have a BMP in Port you're less likely to be upgraded than if you have a non-BMP there as you'd be in the bottom 25% by rank.

H_______

This is dependent on your rank within the accepted cohort, which the school may or may not tell you about. If for example you have a BMP in Port you're less likely to be upgraded than if you have a non-BMP there as you'd be in the bottom 25% by rank.
Unbonded, so I have that going for me. I've sent a few emails which will take a while to hear back presumably so I might just give them a call later

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
The other factor is that for you to get a Kensington spot you would have to have someone else decline theirs. Of course no one will have declined yet without another offer elsewhere (barring very significant lifechanging events) so you will have to wait for further offer rounds for this if it happens.

L

Logic

From what I understand, whatever you get first offered by UNSW is what you keep. I.e. if a spot at Kensington frees up, it would go to someone who hasn't received a UNSW offer yet rather than someone who has and is hoping for an upgrade :( I think there was a policy about this, I'll try find it for you. To confirm, I recommend you call the faculty.

Edit: Found the link --> Local applicants | Medicine --> Click the selection for offer section and then have a read. "Applicants will be made only one offer. Once an applicant has received an offer, the campus allocation will not be changed under any circumstances."

H_______

From what I understand, whatever you get first offered by UNSW is what you keep. I.e. if a spot at Kensington frees up, it would go to someone who hasn't received a UNSW offer yet rather than someone who has and is hoping for an upgrade :( I think there was a policy about this, I'll try find it for you. To confirm, I recommend you call the faculty.
Yeah this is what I was worried about. The bigger part of the issue is that my sister also got an offer for Port which she will definitely take, but in a class of 25 it might be a bit weird if you ask me

JC2323

Was just wondering which courses do you enrol in initially, as the handbook gives you 8 to enrol in? Congratulations to all that have been offered a spot!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.03.17 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.03.17 am.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 88

Lili

Course Type: Med
Offer Received: Yes
University: UNSW
UMAT: 99%ile, 73 65 70
ATAR or GPA: 99.70/7.00 (dropped courses to dodge 0.75 FTE equiv)
Special Considerations: Non standard
Offer Type: Unbonded
Other Information: :yay:
Congratulations. What course did you do at Uni in your first year?

L

Logic

Was just wondering which courses do you enrol in initially, as the handbook gives you 8 to enrol in? Congratulations to all that have been offered a spot!
Hi JC2323! Congrats on the offer :)

You should be receiving an email from the faculty giving you the instructions on what to enrol in and how but I'll give you a brief overview. With the changes to the entire university (moving in to trimesters as opposed to semesters) medicine will still be taught in 4 teaching periods as always (so essentially still semesters) but for enrolment purposes there will be three terms to enrol in and enrolment has become a two stage process. The first step is enrolment, followed by the second step which is registration. You're required to enrol in a full year of courses, however you can only REGISTER for the term 1 classes for now. The courses you will be covering this year are:

1) Foundations
2) Beginnings Growth and Development A
3) Health Maintenance B
4) Ageing and Endings A

Again, I'd wait for the faculty's email about instructions on what to enrol in, but if you want to make sure, calling up MESO won't do any harm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrap

My UAC offer says my allocated campus is Port Macquarie, although upon enrolling through myUNSW it says that my campus location is Kensington. I can't ring to confirm what is going on with this until Monday when the office reopens, but is this happened for anyone else who got allocated PM?

L

Logic

My UAC offer says my allocated campus is Port Macquarie, although upon enrolling through myUNSW it says that my campus location is Kensington. I can't ring to confirm what is going on with this until Monday when the office reopens, but is this happened for anyone else who got allocated PM?
Have you only enrolled, or do you mean register for classes too?

H_______

Screenshot?

Skrap

Have you only enrolled, or do you mean register for classes too?

I have enrolled, not yet registered for classes, but during my enrolment I noticed it on my hecs application, and so went back to double check it on the myUNSW Home page of ‘my application’

H_______

I got PM but am yet to accept, so I'm curious what happens for you