Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and Discussion

Hahah Early morning here!

Yeah, exactly- that's a worry. Ooh that's great to hear you have accom sorted out! I haven't applied so I'll probably live in a sharehouse ☺

Yeah I've heard good things about sharehouses! There should definitely be some close to UQ too :)

Any suggestions for good colleges??Going to UQ for dent btw :)

I'm going to St John's but I think their applications are shut now! Are you thinking about coed or single-sex? :)

Yeah I've heard good things about sharehouses! There should definitely be some close to UQ too :)

I'm going to St John's but I think their applications are shut now! Are you thinking about coed or single-sex? :)
ahhh rip haha... i wasn't planning to go to UQ. I was thinking about coed!

ahhh rip haha... i wasn't planning to go to UQ. I was thinking about coed!

ahhh i see rip :( tbh I've heard any of the co-ed colleges are pretty good! i have a friend at one of the single-sex ones so she asked some of the people there for me when i was looking. the other co-ed one i was looking at was emmanuel. cromwell is also nice apparently, but it's also not on the main strip of colleges so it's a bit further away i think. there's also union college and international house

ahhh i see rip :( tbh I've heard any of the co-ed colleges are pretty good! i have a friend at one of the single-sex ones so she asked some of the people there for me when i was looking. the other co-ed one i was looking at was emmanuel. cromwell is also nice apparently, but it's also not on the main strip of colleges so it's a bit further away i think. there's also union college and international house
Ill check them all out! Are you NSW?

I saw you got Adelaide Med. Do you prefer to come to QLD? Just curious ;)

Hahah no all good! Couple of reasons (sorry for the length of this!): 1) I'm a bit concerned about the internship crisis there, especially if it gets worse. 2) I've heard a couple of people, including Mana, talk about the very high attrition rates and from my own friends at Adelaide that the student support there isn't great. Plus, Adelaide is a very small city :rolleyes: 3) I prefer the postgraduate route bc then in undergrad I can do study abroad + music diploma alongside... tbh Year 12 was pretty stressful for me due to some things that happened in previous years and I never really got a chance to recupe from it. Doing the postgrad pathway gives me some time to do so (I'm not deferring, and of course, I'm still aiming for the highest GPA possible lol, but at least it's not quite as stressful to begin with? I don't know if that makes sense lol).

And UQ just offered me a scholarship too what even :yay:

And not to mention Queensland's great too ;) sorry for the long life story message lol, but congrats if you got to this point :lol:

kjz

Hahah no all good! Couple of reasons (sorry for the length of this!): 1) I'm a bit concerned about the internship crisis there, especially if it gets worse. 2) I've heard a couple of people, including Mana, talk about the very high attrition rates and from my own friends at Adelaide that the student support there isn't great. Plus, Adelaide is a very small city :rolleyes: 3) I prefer the postgraduate route bc then in undergrad I can do study abroad + music diploma alongside... tbh Year 12 was pretty stressful for me due to some things that happened in previous years and I never really got a chance to recupe from it. Doing the postgrad pathway gives me some time to do so (I'm not deferring, and of course, I'm still aiming for the highest GPA possible lol, but at least it's not quite as stressful to begin with? I don't know if that makes sense lol).

And UQ just offered me a scholarship too what even :yay:

And not to mention Queensland's great too ;) sorry for the long life story message lol, but congrats if you got to this point :lol:

Obviously you have a very good reason for your choice. Welcome to our beautiful sunshine state :clap:

Kezia

Hi Guys, I recently read about the changes to MD admissions at UQ and the introduction of prereqs in the application. I'm currently a Nursing student at USQ and I won't be doing the Integrative Cell & Tissue Biology prereq course in my nursing degree. However, I am currently doing first year anatomy & physiology. I have enrolled to do the Cell & Tissue biology prereq course at UQ for next semester. According to the credit precedent base, to have an equivalent course to UQ's Physiology prereq, I would have to do both first and second-year physiology courses at USQ. I only need to do first-year physiology to complete my nursing degree at USQ so doing a second-year course would increase in my workload. But if I move back to UQ and complete my nursing degree there, I would not have to worry about the prereqs because it's already integrated into the degree. However, this means that I would have to try and get credits for the courses I have completed at USQ. How will credits affect my GPA for my GEMSAS application? I don't really want to move back to UQ because I love studying at USQ and I also have three leadership positions on the line if I choose to move back to UQ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
1f642.png
:)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Guys, I recently read about the changes to MD admissions at UQ and the introduction of prereqs in the application. I'm currently a Nursing student at USQ and I won't be doing the Integrative Cell & Tissue Biology prereq course in my nursing degree. However, I am currently doing first year anatomy & physiology. I have enrolled to do the Cell & Tissue biology prereq course at UQ for next semester. According to the credit precedent base, to have an equivalent course to UQ's Physiology prereq, I would have to do both first and second-year physiology courses at USQ. I only need to do first-year physiology to complete my nursing degree at USQ so doing a second-year course would increase in my workload. But if I move back to UQ and complete my nursing degree there, I would not have to worry about the prereqs because it's already integrated into the degree. However, this means that I would have to try and get credits for the courses I have completed at USQ. How will credits affect my GPA for my GEMSAS application? I don't really want to move back to UQ because I love studying at USQ and I also have three leadership positions on the line if I choose to move back to UQ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
1f642.png
:)
It sounds like you really want to stay at USQ. You should! Will you be applying for 2021 entry? I notice that you won't need the prerequisites completed until 2022 entry. In saying that, if I was you I'd just get the additional subjects completed at UQ and do your degree as normal at USQ (I assume it's possible to just take specific subjects at UQ based on your post?).

I looked at the credit precedent base as well and couldn't see any approved USQ subjects for either BIOM2011 or BIOM2012. I also looked at the "MD prerequisite table" excel file and it looks like there are no subjects / subject combinations you can take at USQ to satisfy the pre-requisites. Where did you look to find the approved ones? If you're planning on completing the pre-requisites at USQ I'd be aiming to get something in writing from UQ stating that they'll approve whatever units you are going to take.

The excel table says that a Bachelor of Nursing from QUT satisfies the pre-requisites, so I'd be very interested if they decided that only a nursing degree from certain universities will make the cut.

As an aside, the requirements seem much stricter than UniMelb's pre-requisites.... so many subjects from other universities have been deemed "not approved". Looks like a money making scheme to me - get students to either a) do their undergraduate degree at UQ or b) do the pre-requisite subjects as additional extras (again, offered by UQ). The pre-requisites are going to restrict a fair amount of non-UQ student applicants unless they take them as stand-alone subjects at UQ.

Kezia

It sounds like you really want to stay at USQ. You should! Will you be applying for 2021 entry? I notice that you won't need the prerequisites completed until 2022 entry. In saying that, if I was you I'd just get the additional subjects completed at UQ and do your degree as normal at USQ (I assume it's possible to just take specific subjects at UQ based on your post?).

I looked at the credit precedent base as well and couldn't see any approved USQ subjects for either BIOM2011 or BIOM2012. I also looked at the "MD prerequisite table" excel file and it looks like there are no subjects / subject combinations you can take at USQ to satisfy the pre-requisites. Where did you look to find the approved ones? If you're planning on completing the pre-requisites at USQ I'd be aiming to get something in writing from UQ stating that they'll approve whatever units you are going to take.

The excel table says that a Bachelor of Nursing from QUT satisfies the pre-requisites, so I'd be very interested if they decided that only a nursing degree from certain universities will make the cut.

As an aside, the requirements seem much stricter than UniMelb's pre-requisites.... so many subjects from other universities have been deemed "not approved". Looks like a money making scheme to me - get students to either a) do their undergraduate degree at UQ or b) do the pre-requisite subjects as additional extras (again, offered by UQ). The pre-requisites are going to restrict a fair amount of non-UQ student applicants unless they take them as stand-alone subjects at UQ.
Unfortunately, because I switched from UQ biomed to USQ nursing mid-year this year, I will be graduating mid-year of 2021. So, I will be applying for 2022 entry. I am just worried that taking the pre-requisites would significantly increase my workload and affect my GPA. However, I realised that I can take the Physiology pre-req in Sem 2 of 2021 when I have already graduated from my USQ Nursing degree. I've emailed UQ and they have confirmed that I would not satisfy the requirements so I guess I would just have to take the pre-requisites at UQ under my existing Biomed enrolment there. Thank you so much for your help! :)

brik

Hi Just a couple of questions regarding some changes introduced at UQ MD, I understand the prerequisite subject part as below;
But regarding MMI requirements, do 2019 Provisional intake students (current school leaver applicants) need to go through MMI for 2022 MD intake (after completing 3 year undergraduate course) ? Or, Is this MMI requirement applicable to students from 2021 Provisional offer intake group ?

brik

Hi Just a couple of questions regarding some changes introduced at UQ MD, I understand the prerequisite subject part as below;
But regarding MMI requirements, do 2019 Provisional intake students (current school leaver applicants) need to go through MMI for 2022 MD intake (after completing 3 year undergraduate course) ? Or, Is this MMI requirement applicable to students from 2021 Provisional offer intake group ?
It is quite clear now reading from the university home page that MMI will be introduced to Provisional pathway students from 2021 intake, which is current year 11 high school students.

lily19873

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I'm confused about what the "Provisional entry" part means for school leaver med at UQ. The website says it's 4 years, but for postgraduate. Could someone clarify the duration?

L

Logic

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I'm confused about what the "Provisional entry" part means for school leaver med at UQ. The website says it's 4 years, but for postgraduate. Could someone clarify the duration?
Hi, hope you’re having a great New Years Day.

UQ medicine is a post graduate degree, meaning you need to have an undergraduate degree. Provisional entry at UQ means that you do an undergraduate degree there (most commonly the Bachelor of Science since its three years and provides a good science background) and as long you maintain the required GPA (5 which is not very high), you will be guaranteed a place in the post graduate MD without needing to do GAMSAT or an interview.

Thus, because you’re a high school leaver, it will take you 7 years in total (or more if you choose to do another undergraduate degree).

Hopefully that clarified things, :) best of luck

lily19873

Hi, hope you’re having a great New Years Day.

UQ medicine is a post graduate degree, meaning you need to have an undergraduate degree. Provisional entry at UQ means that you do an undergraduate degree there (most commonly the Bachelor of Science since its three years and provides a good science background) and as long you maintain the required GPA (5 which is not very high), you will be guaranteed a place in the post graduate MD without needing to do GAMSAT or an interview.

Thus, because you’re a high school leaver, it will take you 7 years in total (or more if you choose to do another undergraduate degree).

Hopefully that clarified things, :) best of luck
Hi Post, thanks and Happy New Years to you too :)

namida

ms-owesome
Hey everyone!
I was just wondering that after we have passed the 99 ATAR threshold that UQ has, what would be considered a competitive UMAT score?
I've heard from some people that once your ATAR's above 99, their decision to offer you a place is based almost solely on the UMAT score if I'm not mistaken?
Thanks in advance.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey everyone!
I was just wondering that after we have passed the 99 ATAR threshold that UQ has, what would be considered a competitive UMAT score?
I've heard from some people that once your ATAR's above 99, their decision to offer you a place is based almost solely on the UMAT score if I'm not mistaken?
Thanks in advance.

It's true UQ place offers are based on UMAT scores, scroll down on this link to see previous years' cutoffs
> Pathways and entry requirements