Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys! Does anyone know if there are more rounds for Griffith dentistry? Or when they release top-up offers? No offer with GPA 6.75 :(
Ah, tough gig, that’s been enough for a first round offer in the past! They usually release top-up offers - these will happen either Jan 25 or Feb 5 via QTAC. With a 6.75 you should be in with a reasonable chance at a future round offer. Good luck!

Yellow99

Lurker
Ah, tough gig, that’s been enough for a first round offer in the past! They usually release top-up offers - these will happen either Jan 25 or Feb 5 via QTAC. With a 6.75 you should be in with a reasonable chance at a future round offer. Good luck!
Ah I see. Thank you!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Ah I see. Thank you!
Yamster has informed me that Griffith dentistry don’t participate in second round offers (I thought they did but now I’m not 100% sure if they do or not) so I’d definitely have a plan B in place. Maybe you could contact Griffith and check if they will be participating in any later round offers for dentistry. If you do, please let us know.

Knighty

Congrats for the people who made it! Looking forward to meeting you all in Feb! Btw does anyone know how the groups work in Dentistry? I heard Griffith puts us into groups of 7. Are the 7 people in each group chosen by the faculty or do we have to form our own groups?

Kinetica

Yamster has informed me that Griffith dentistry don’t participate in second round offers (I thought they did but now I’m not 100% sure if they do or not) so I’d definitely have a plan B in place. Maybe you could contact Griffith and check if they will be participating in any later round offers for dentistry. If you do, please let us know.
Thanks Crow, I've sent GU an email and will advise.

kyleb

Dentistry
Congrats for the people who made it! Looking forward to meeting you all in Feb! Btw does anyone know how the groups work in Dentistry? I heard Griffith puts us into groups of 7. Are the 7 people in each group chosen by the faculty or do we have to form our own groups?
Groups for what?

The only groups (~7-10 ppl) you get put into in first year is a mentor group (the mentors are a few second years).... you just meet up once or twice to talk about the course and stuff.

Knighty

There is one by GUDSA but they wont accept anyone until they receive a list of students from Griffith and it will be joined with the dental technology students so if we want one specific to our class we should make one

MrWhippe

A few MSO members have checked and been confirmed both UAC and QTAC go by the grade codes on your transcript, 80+ or 85+ HD doesn't matter to them.

It's all "scientific" rather than generous. For Gemsas 70-74 = 6, 75-79 = 6.5, 80+ = 7
If your transcript shows a mark between 75-79 you get 6.5, not 6.75
Otoh if it shows Distinction without a mark (like at oddball UQ) it could be anywhere between 75-84, thus between 6.5 & 7 = 6.75
I'm not quite understanding this.

Say I were to pursue a Biomedicine degree at La Trobe. If I did the suggested 8 units - 4 a semester - and thus FTE (or can 6 units be considered FTE?) and scored 7 subjects at 85+, and 1 subject at 82, would that be [7x7 +1x6]/8= 6.875. Or would the 82 be calculated higher than a 6 e.g. [7x7 +1x6.5] = 6.93.

A1

Rookie Doc
Say I were to pursue a Biomedicine degree at La Trobe. If I did the suggested 8 units - 4 a semester - and thus FTE (or can 6 units be considered FTE?) and scored 7 subjects at 85+, and 1 subject at 82, would that be [7x7 +1x6]/8= 6.875. Or would the 82 be calculated higher than a 6 e.g. [7x7 +1x6.5] = 6.93.

1) If you did 6 units it would be 6/8= 0.75 of a FTE (full-time equiv) year. Even if you did those 6 units part-time over two years it'd still be 0.75 FTE year.

2) The 6.5 or 6.75 is only used by GEMSAS for graduate entry. For non-standards the TACs simply base on your grade CODES, regardless of your marks. Thus for LaTrobe students 7x 85+ and 1x 82 are all HDs so GPA= 7.

MrWhippe

1) If you did 6 units it would be 6/8= 0.75 of a FTE (full-time equiv) year. Even if you did those 6 units part-time over two years it'd still be 0.75 FTE year.

2) The 6.5 or 6.75 is only used by GEMSAS for graduate entry. For non-standards the TACs simply base on your grade CODES, regardless of your marks. Thus for LaTrobe students 7x 85+ and 1x 82 are all HDs so GPA= 7.
I see! So if I want a GPA of 7 for Griffith, does that mean I would need 8 subjects all over 80? I was under the assumption it was 8 subjects over 85.

kyleb

Dentistry
There is one by GUDSA but they wont accept anyone until they receive a list of students from Griffith and it will be joined with the dental technology students so if we want one specific to our class we should make one

GUDSA usually creates one for your year. As well as the broad GUDSA page.
Once you get to know your year you can create your own private one (I'd strongly advise waiting until you know people because you don't want randoms in there)

:)

Dullah

That’s my understanding, yes. JCU outright states how they assess academic rank for non-standard applicants, though. Griffith tends to be a bit more secretive, it seems.
Hey Crow,

I just wanted to ask, so from what i gathered in the thread, by doing a Honours year, does that automatically give us a 7.0 GPA when applying for Griffith? If so, that means we would be applying for undergrad at Griffith even after finishing a degree? Are we able to do that?

THanks

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey Crow,

I just wanted to ask, so from what i gathered in the thread, by doing a Honours year, does that automatically give us a 7.0 GPA when applying for Griffith? If so, that means we would be applying for undergrad at Griffith even after finishing a degree? Are we able to do that?

THanks
You need to achieve first class honours to be awarded a GPA 7, not just an honours degree. After sal123 missed out on an offer today it also seems that you need to achieve a first class honours equivalent to over 85+ rather than 80+, otherwise you won’t be awarded a 7.0.

Yes, you’ll be applying to the undergraduate degree and you’re allowed to do this. Technically you can complete as many undergraduate degrees as you would like to, it’s just that some undergraduate medicine and dentistry courses restrict applications to school-leavers; Griffith is not one of the unis that does this for dentistry.

Dullah

You need to achieve first class honours to be awarded a GPA 7, not just an honours degree. After sal123 missed out on an offer today it also seems that you need to achieve a first class honours equivalent to over 85+ rather than 80+, otherwise you won’t be awarded a 7.0.

Yes, you’ll be applying to the undergraduate degree and you’re allowed to do this. Technically you can complete as many undergraduate degrees as you would like to, it’s just that some undergraduate medicine and dentistry courses restrict applications to school-leavers; Griffith is not one of the unis that does this for dentistry.

Oh ok thanks mate. I missed out on JCU dentistry offer. Is there a way to find out what part of my application let me down? Content deleted by mod.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I see! So if I want a GPA of 7 for Griffith, does that mean I would need 8 subjects all over 80? I was under the assumption it was 8 subjects over 85.

Crow given what you’ve seen today re. first class honours between 80 and 85 not being considered 7.00, do you Griffith DO look at subject scores?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Crow given what you’ve seen today re. first class honours between 80 and 85 not being considered 7.00, do you Griffith DO look at subject scores?
I can only assume they do look at the subject scores within the honours degree rather than just the overall class awarded, because sal should’ve been made an offer if not. I’d love to hear from a few more people in a similar situation though to confirm that, but unfortunately I don’t think we’re going to!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Oh ok thanks mate. I missed out on JCU dentistry offer. Is there a way to find out what part of my application let me down?
Unfortunately JCU doesn’t give feedback on applications as far as I’m aware. The reality is non-standard entry is so competitive at JCU that you really need a very high quality written application (in combination with a competitive GPA) to be considered (particularly if you’re a non-rural student).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I can only assume they do look at the subject scores within the honours degree rather than just the overall class awarded, because sal should’ve been made an offer if not. I’d love to hear from a few more people in a similar situation though to confirm that, but unfortunately I don’t think we’re going to!

Do you think this likely means they look at subject scores for straight undergrad degrees, too? Not just honours degrees? I know you probably won’t know for sure, but just wondering if this would change thinking about GPA calculation between 80 = HD Unis and Griffith more generally.