Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UCAT Discussion 2019

CardiacSurgeon

UQ Medicine (Year 1/7)
Hey guys,

I think this question will be stupid, but I gotta ask ,
Are we allowed to sit the UCAT while studying an undergraduate degree? Or is the UCAT only for non-university people??

If we are allowed to sit it during a degree, do the results carry over to the following year?

Thanks!

CristinaYang

Monash V 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any specific tips/hacks for the QR section as I really seem to be struggling with it. It’s not necessarily the maths that I’m having difficulty with more the interpretation of the questions/how to approach them.

Blackjoe

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any specific tips/hacks for the QR section as I really seem to be struggling with it. It’s not necessarily the maths that I’m having difficulty with more the interpretation of the questions/how to approach them.
What resources are you using to practice? How many questions are you getting right and how many are you getting wrong? It won't really be easy to help without knowing the specifics for your struggles, but my advice would probably be taking the question slowly trying to ensure that you have a solid comprehension of the question and then speeding up as you improve. Also if the resources give you another method of solving the problem that you did not use, try and understand how their method works and how you can use it yourself. This should improve you knowledge base of potential QR questions helping to identify potential solutions in the future.

bigyikes

WSU MD II
WSU have updated their MD entry requirements page with information about the UCAT. Interestingly, there's no information I can find about GWS students having a lower UCAT score threshold for interview invite compared to non-GWS, in contrast to what they used to say on the website about the UMAT. Wonder if Western Sydney is dropping their GWS bias for the UCAT?

Ploppy123

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I see a lot of people sitting the UCAT next year in hope of getting a better mark than their UMAT this year and get into dent/med in 2020. I was just wondering if you decide to go this route will you need to take a gap year and not start uni? Or is going to uni fine if you transfer to med/dent during the end of 1st year of uni.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I see a lot of people sitting the UCAT next year in hope of getting a better mark than their UMAT this year and get into dent/med in 2020. I was just wondering if you decide to go this route will you need to take a gap year and not start uni? Or is going to uni fine if you transfer to med/dent during the end of 1st year of uni.

It depends, is the short answer. Are you wanting a general comment or info related to you specifically? If so, we’d need your ATAR and the state you’re from.

Ploppy123

It depends, is the short answer. Are you wanting a general comment or info related to you specifically? If so, we’d need your ATAR and the state you’re from.
I guess info specific to me would be better. I got an ATAR of 98.95 and am from NSW. I didnt do as well as i hoped in UMAT this year so I might try transfer to med/dent next year if I dont enjoy the course I am studying at uni. Thank you!

Reactions: May

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I guess info specific to me would be better. I got an ATAR of 98.95 and am from NSW. I didnt do as well as i hoped in UMAT this year so I might try transfer to med/dent next year if I dont enjoy the course I am studying at uni. Thank you!

Next year is an extra interesting one, because people going this route (gap year) are banking their hopes on a test we’ve (and, more importantly, they’ve) never seen before. We rarely offer advice that is pro gap year, but are probably even less likely to do so for 2020 entry, given UCAT is such an unknown.

In your instance, you can definitely start your degree and then sit UCAT to apply as a non-standard applicant to UNSW, WSU, and JMP (and can apply to JCU without UCAT). If that doesn’t work out, you can complete your degree and apply to grad Med via GAMSAT.

Best of luck with UCAT!

Ploppy123

Next year is an extra interesting one, because people going this route (gap year) are banking their hopes on a test we’ve (and, more importantly, they’ve) never seen before. We rarely offer advice that is pro gap year, but are probably even less likely to do so for 2020 entry, given UCAT is such an unknown.

In your instance, you can definitely start your degree and then sit UCAT to apply as a non-standard applicant to UNSW, WSU, and JMP (and can apply to JCU without UCAT). If that doesn’t work out, you can complete your degree and apply to grad Med via GAMSAT.

Best of luck with UCAT!
Thank you!

geek

WSU have updated their MD entry requirements page with information about the UCAT. Interestingly, there's no information I can find about GWS students having a lower UCAT score threshold for interview invite compared to non-GWS, in contrast to what they used to say on the website about the UMAT. Wonder if Western Sydney is dropping their GWS bias for the UCAT?
I emailed wsu faculty and this is the reply I received (see image attached below please)
My question was more towards what the threshold for this year's Ucat is, though
Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_135317.jpg
    IMG_20190122_135317.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 179

A1

Rookie Doc

WSU states on the website lower ATAR requirement for GWS applicants. I don't recall them saying lower UMAT cutoff specifically, it was just something we observed in practice.

Smelly Boy

I can be ur angle 😇 or ur devil 😈
Valued Member
WSU states on the website lower ATAR requirement for GWS applicants. I don't recall them saying lower UMAT cutoff specifically, it was just something we observed in practice.
They used to say “GWS students may have a lower Umat cut off”

General Applicants | MD Application
if you scroll down to the bottom of the above website, you'll find that "a proportion of the interview places available for admission will be allocated to applicants from the Greater Western Sydney area". considering interview invites are based entirely on ucat scores (once the required academic mark is met), this implies that GWS students will have a lower ucat cut off

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
The UCAT Official website had some really useful resources. However, it seems I've managed to run through all of them in a single night (except the 3 exams which I am saving up). Do you guys have any recommended resources beyond these to practice for the UCAT?

Ann Alex

How do we join a UCAT study group? I would really appreciate some extra help.

- edited by mod to remove unnecessary caps -

Last edited by a moderator:

geek

Hi Ann
If you read earlier posts we decided to talk about the UCAT in this thread.
If you have any questions feel free to ask and everyone involved in the forums, also doing the ucat,will try to answer them
Wish you the very best!