Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Is the Bachelor of Medical Science 2 year accelerated degree at Griffith University a valid degree to gain graduate entry into UQ's Doctor of Medicine? Has this happened before?

I have heard that no, it is not an eligible degree, due to the fact that it is 2 years. Crow will know with more certainty.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is the Bachelor of Medical Science 2 year accelerated degree at Griffith University a valid degree to gain graduate entry into UQ's Doctor of Medicine? Has this happened before?
According to the GEMSAS guide you only need to do 6 full time semesters equivalent of study (which you will in the accelerated degree) to be eligible for UQ, so I’m inclined to think this is a valid pathway, albeit not one many students would take. I’d email UQ admissions for confirmation - also be aware that admissions processes change each year so what was ok for 2019 entry won’t necessarily be ok for 2021 entry.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, at this point is it too late to apply to every medicine course in Australia for 2019 entry?

Yes, absolutely, way too late to apply to them all. Most closed for applications at the end of September, 2018, and all except one who do interviews have completed those interviews. Bond (full fee paying, private uni) is the only one still open for applications and that’s because their classes don’t start until May so their process for 2019 entry has only just commenced.

ETA: actually, the initial applications for Bond closed at midnight last night so it’s too late to apply to ANY 2019 med courses.

Last edited:

soham

Hey, so I have an offer for med sci at Unsw. However I’m wondering if I can transfer to unsw act this year.
Also, I am currently applying for bond, but I’ve heard from uq that they may do more offers on 5th Feb. So I’m wondering if putting bond in my first preference will make me ineligible for a shot at uq.

UpTheGunners

Griffith MD II
Hello fellow MSO'ers, I was wondering if anyone has heard about any second round offers for the Griffith Medical Science course for the GC campus? While I am extremely happy to have conditionally accepted an offer at Nathan (I live a 2 minute drive from the GC campus), I have seen a couple of posts on the forum of students rejecting their GC offers. As such, I was curious to know if anyone has heard anything about 2nd round offers or what the admin have to say?

conrs

Hi all! Sorry if someone has asked this already, but is GPA a hurdle in interview selection for the JMP? I know their 'cutoff' is only a credit average or something but I assume you'd have to have a lot higher than that to receive an interview (provided your UCAT is high etc)? Thanks :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi all! Sorry if someone has asked this already, but is GPA a hurdle in interview selection for the JMP? I know their 'cutoff' is only a credit average or something but I assume you'd have to have a lot higher than that to receive an interview (provided your UCAT is high etc)? Thanks :)

Yes, it is a hurdle. Nope, you don't have to have "a lot higher than that" :D

And if UMAT is anything to go by, you may not need a particularly "high" UCAT, either. Somewhere around the middle was typically enough for JMP, as long as your scores were distributed as per requirements.

conrs

Yes, it is a hurdle. Nope, you don't have to have "a lot higher than that" :D

And if UMAT is anything to go by, you may not need a particularly "high" UCAT, either. Somewhere around the middle was typically enough for JMP, as long as your scores were distributed as per requirements.
Awesome, thanks for that :) ! That's a bit of a relief. Once you receive an interview, are you ranked solely on this for selection or do they still use your GPA/UCAT?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Awesome, thanks for that :) ! That's a bit of a relief. Once you receive an interview, are you ranked solely on this for selection or do they still use your GPA/UCAT?

They have previously just used S1 of UMAT as a tiebreaker only. No clue how they'll use UCAT.

conrs

Hi again! In doing some research on past threads, it appears that for the JMP, interstate applicants (namely VIC) take their interviews/receive their offers considerably later than NSW (unsure if I'm correct in this though). Does this mean the chance of receiving a place is drastically reduced/unlikely?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi again! In doing some research on past threads, it appears that for the JMP, interstate applicants (namely VIC) take their interviews/receive their offers considerably later than NSW (unsure if I'm correct in this though). Does this mean the chance of receiving a place is drastically reduced/unlikely?
It shouldn’t do - in contrast to somewhere like Monash, I believe JMP leave aside a fair amount of places and then apply the same cutoff for the local applicants to the interstate applicants. If there were more interstates above the cutoff then they should receive a “second round” offer when the interstate students receive their offers, but if not then more of the places would just go to interstate students. A1 probably knows more of the process though.

A1

Rookie Doc

Five schools UNSW, JMP, Monash, UWA, Curtin hold interviews for interstate applicants much later. On surface it's not for discriminative purposes but to allow the applicants already with a home state offer (around mid-Jan) to opt out of interstate interviews to save on travel costs.

It varies whether this mean the chance of receiving a place offer is drastically reduced. UNSW is on records saying interstate applicants are not disadvantaged, meaning they set aside a sufficient number of places to offer to interstate interviewees. JMP is probably like that too based on the occasional 2nd round offers back to 1st round interviewees. Otoh Monash sets aside only 15-20 places (less than 10% of the intake) resulting in very high ATAR+UMAT cutoffs for interstate invites/offers. UWA & Curtin are probably somewhere in between.

Winger42

Hey everyone! If I start a degree (not medicine) at the University of Adelaide this year, can I still apply for medicine at other universities in Australia for entry next year, using my ATAR? Or does starting such a degree lock me into only being able to apply to transfer to medicine at the University of Adelaide? Thanks!

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Hey everyone! If I start a degree (not medicine) at the University of Adelaide this year, can I still apply for medicine at other universities in Australia for entry next year, using my ATAR? Or does starting such a degree lock me into only being able to apply to transfer to medicine at the University of Adelaide? Thanks!

It depends, some universities will accept you, some won't.
For example, I believe this will exclude you from UTAS as they no longer take non-standards.
You can still apply to UNSW but they will use both your ATAR and GPA to calculate academic eligibility.
I believe WSU will use your GPA or ATAR (whichever is higher) - but someone may correct me on that, it's been a while since I applied.
You can apply to JMP but I think they'll use your GPA.

You need to look at the selection criteria. It's tedious, but you certainly have options :)

Winger42

It depends, some universities will accept you, some won't.
For example, I believe this will exclude you from UTAS as they no longer take non-standards.
You can still apply to UNSW but they will use both your ATAR and GPA to calculate academic eligibility.
I believe WSU will use your GPA or ATAR (whichever is higher) - but someone may correct me on that, it's been a while since I applied.
You can apply to JMP but I think they'll use your GPA.

You need to look at the selection criteria. It's tedious, but you certainly have options :)
Thanks a lot BethMark!! There are so many pathways, it's hard to decide which is best! I'll look into them :)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Universities that accept non-standard student applications from those with an incomplete degree: JCU, JMP, UNSW, WSU, Bond. Obviously you can also apply to Adelaide in your case as a lateral transfer, and you’ll be able to apply to Curtin when you have a completed degree (along with graduate entry).

Status
Not open for further replies.