Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Incoming Students

O

OptimistPrime

Lear I didn't get any specific correspondence from Monash about it yet.
#RoadTo50

1234med

I've heard in ERC in Years 3-5, clin placement is from 6.30-5pm then lectures from 5-8pm. Rinse and repeat. Is this true because I've heard the hours aren't so bad for metro placements.

Also how do students afford to go overseas for trips like with Operation Smile? Is it through fundraising or expected to be paid out of pocket by the attendees themselves? Because that's a good few thousand there!

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I've heard in ERC in Years 3-5, clin placement is from 6.30-5pm then lectures from 5-8pm. Rinse and repeat. Is this true because I've heard the hours aren't so bad for metro placements.

I haven't heard hours being that strenuous for third years, and I have done placements in Sale, Mildura, and Bendigo. Certainly lectures are not every day, so staying late would be a once-a-week deal. Similarly, starting at 6.30 am would depend on the rotation, in surgical rotations starts are earlier than in medical rotations.

Also how do students afford to go overseas for trips like with Operation Smile? Is it through fundraising or expected to be paid out of pocket by the attendees themselves? Because that's a good few thousand there!

My understanding is that people pay for themselves, ditto with the Nepal and Fiji trips. You'll find that in general, medical students come from the top SES quartile and thus find a way to afford such "volunteering holidays". Needless to say, not going on these excursions confers no disadvantage.

1234med

Thanks very much Pi! Would those hours be more so for Years 4-5 rurally/ in metro areas? Or post-graduation?
Looks like I'll be more active in the local community, or I'll find some way to raise those few thousand haha! Probably the former!
This is more of a general university question. I'm guessing Hons at the bottom of your replies mean Honours? Is this calculated from your marks for all years like other degrees?
What's the difference between Ignite, TeamMED and Operation Smile? They seem to be all global health related haha!

Last edited:

jelli

What's the difference between Ignite, TeamMED and Operation Smile? They seem to be all global health related haha!
I'd recommend having a look at the subcommittee stalls at Medstart, they'll have all the info you need!! Ignite is more education based, TeamMED is more focussed on service and Operation Smile focusses on cleft lip and palate specifically :)

1234med

Thank you very much jelli! Will there be a chance to go to the subcommittee stalls during Medstart? Or will we need to arrive before Medstart/ go after Medstart?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Thanks very much Pi! Would those hours be more so for Years 4-5 rurally/ in metro areas? Or post-graduation?

What hours are you referring to? Hours vary considerably depending on the rotation.

1234med

Hi! Does anyone know if we get lecture slides before the lectures? My plan is to annotate the lecture slides on my laptop/ by hand. If we don't, I wouldn't really know what to do when we come to diagrams/ pics. Taking a picture of them with my phone then emailing it to myself doesn't seem very effective haha!

oranges

Hi! Does anyone know if we get lecture slides before the lectures? My plan is to annotate the lecture slides on my laptop/ by hand. If we don't, I wouldn't really know what to do when we come to diagrams/ pics. Taking a picture of them with my phone then emailing it to myself doesn't seem very effective haha!

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don’t, it really depends on the lecturers (some lecturers want their content to be a ‘surprise’ hahaha)

1234med

Hahaha won't be a surprise when I start fiddling with my laptop :p
How do most people take notes if they have Macs? Word/ google docs/ one note or even ditch the laptop for handwritten notes? I've heard great things about one note but "writing" all over the diagrams isn't too easy haha!

oranges

Hahaha won't be a surprise when I start fiddling with my laptop :p
How do most people take notes if they have Macs? Word/ google docs/ one note or even ditch the laptop for handwritten notes? I've heard great things about one note but "writing" all over the diagrams isn't too easy haha!

Yeah macs are a massive drawback when it comes to diagram annotation. I personally hand write my notes, but I know there are people who just dot point notes on word or onenote (I think onenote is just an easy way of organising class notes), and people with macs try their best to draw diagrams anyway with the mousepad

oranges

And also just try out a couple of methods in the first few weeks, I tend to hand write my anatomy/science notes but type my epidemiology and the more ‘rote learn’ notes

1234med

Thanks very much mate! I'll definitely along paper to classes too so I can test which subjects' notes I like hand writing/ typing

1234med

Hey, Does anyone know about Monash's Scholarship Award Ceremony on the 14th March? When our names are announced, will the scholarship name also be announced?

I'm presuming that they're going to call out our names and the scholarship we received. I'm being awarded the scholarship for equity (medical) reasons and I'm not too uncomfortable being recorded /receiving the scholarship in front of so many. In other words, I don't really want it to be known to others that I suffer from a medical condition. Not that I should be ashamed, but I'm not too keen on the pity that usually follows haha!

I definitely want to show my gratitude towards the scholarship donors/ trustees though

jelli

Hey, Does anyone know about Monash's Scholarship Award Ceremony on the 14th March? When our names are announced, will the scholarship name also be announced?

I'm presuming that they're going to call out our names and the scholarship we received. I'm being awarded the scholarship for equity (medical) reasons and I'm not too uncomfortable being recorded /receiving the scholarship in front of so many. In other words, I don't really want it to be known to others that I suffer from a medical condition. Not that I should be ashamed, but I'm not too keen on the pity that usually follows haha!

I definitely want to show my gratitude towards the scholarship donors/ trustees though
They didn't go into details last year, but you can send them an email/give them a call just letting them know about your concerns if you're comfortable with doing so :)

1234med

Thanks very much jelli! I'll give them a call asap. By going into details, do you mean they simply mentioned the scholarship name and not why it was given?