Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UCAT Discussion 2019

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
From memory that was also the case for the UMAT.

They were specifically banned the two years I sat UMAT (2016 and 2017). You could only use them if you had a doctor's certificate outlining why you needed them, and you had to get permission beforehand. Not sure if it was different outside of those two years...

Does anyone know what the go is with UCAT scoring? I know it works in bands...Band 1 up to Band 5 I think, but which the highest band...1 or 5? And how is your band determined?

A1

Rookie Doc

A1

Rookie Doc
Okay! Thank you. Does this mean the four sections are converted into a percentile (similar to UMAT)?

I don't know whether UCAT will give you a percentile, but with UMAT the percentile didn't serve any real purpose other than for convenient reference. All the med schools used the numerical scores for determination.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
I don't know whether UCAT will give you a percentile, but with UMAT the percentile didn't serve any real purpose other than for convenient reference. All the med schools used the numerical scores for determination.
Adding to this, see here UK school requirements. It is different for different schools. I presume it will be similar here in Australia.
https://www.kaptest.co.uk/sites/kap...T is used by Consortium Universities 2019.pdf

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For example, U of Birmingham states:
Use of UKCAT data:There is no minimum UKCAT cut-off score. Your UKCAT results, excluding the band result for the Situational Judgment Test (SJT) component, will be separated into deciles and scored. For example the top 10% of applicants’ scores will be in the top decile and will receive a maximum score of 4.0 in our process.

For guidance, the score conversion we used in 2017-18 is as follows (converted to a 0 –4 scale):

UKCAT
Total UKCAT score Decile Converted score
2950 and above 10th 4.000
2860 " 9th 3.556
2790 " 8th 3.111
2730 " 7th 2.667
2680 " 6th 2.222
2630 " 5th 1.778
2580 " 4th 1.333
2510 " 3rd 0.889
2400 " 2nd 0.444
2390 and below 1st 0.000

It is important to note that the thresholds for each decile will be different for a new set of applicants. Therefore, the UKCATscore applied to your application may differ from the above table but the difference is expected to be marginal. Your UKCAT score is unlikely to move by more than one decile.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dhanda

Just wondering if I could get some ATAR numbers UCAT scores for the cut-off for med. I want to get some sorta of idea.

Dhanda

There will be no information on UCAT scores as this is the first year the exam is taking place.

Here is the information from last year of scores for an offer using ATAR and UMAT (the previous exam for entry in to medicine which has been replaced with UCAT): Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2019 - Collated Data

Ok what about an ATAR cut-off for Curtin WA, a ballpark guess estimate something. Need some numbers to quantify because UWA is 99 ATAR and seems very intimidating.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Ok what about an ATAR cut-off for Curtin WA, a ballpark guess estimate something. Need some numbers to quantify because UWA is 99 ATAR and seems very intimidating.

Judging by the collated data, which is included in the post that Logic has just linked to, the ballpark estimate is also 99 ATAR, which I am sure is equally intimidating.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
Thanks! Ian Naga

What would a competitive score be? 2860 and above, or 2950 and above?
This will depend on how UCAT is going to be used by the Unis and will vary from Uni to Uni. This was true with UMAT and will be true with UCAT. Unfortunately, being a new test in Australia, this cohort will be used as the guinea pig by Australian Universities to figure out how they will use UCAT. You can email the Universities individually but I doubt if they know it as well. By this time next year we would know but it would be too late for this cohort. Have a look at how it is used in the UK by different Unis. It can give you an indication of how it may be used here. Sorry, that is the best answer I can give.

Looking at the above link, for St George's University of London, they require:

>>>>>>>>>>
Section score ==> 500 or above, in each section (This look similar to the UMAT requirments for a few Unis in Australia e.g JMP)

Historic Overall UKCAT scores
For reference purposes only, we have detailed the overall scores we have required in previous years

Entry year Overall Score
2013 2530
2014 2590
2015 2550
2016 2600
2017 1890 (The UKCAT test used one less section for 2017 entry)
2018 2590
>>>>>>>>>>

HTH

Last edited:

Dhanda

Judging by the collated data, which is included in the post that Logic has just linked to, the ballpark estimate is also 99 ATAR, which I am sure is equally intimidating.

Hmm, small sample size but one of my friend's friend got in with a 97 ATAR, which I thought was quite relieving, it may just be because it was Curtin's first year with the medical course. Still ideally a 99 ATAR. Kinda realised when I posted this that my head was in the wrong place if I'm just trying to reach minimum benchmarks. Anyway thanks for your help. :) Sorry messed up last post aha, mod please delete.

L

Logic

Hmm, small sample size but one of my friend's friend got in with a 97 ATAR, which I thought was quite relieving, it may just be because it was Curtin's first year with the medical course. Still ideally a 99 ATAR. Kinda realised when I posted this that my head was in the wrong place if I'm just trying to reach minimum benchmarks. Anyway thanks for your help. :) Sorry messed up last post aha, mod please delete.

Yep, in the first intake cohort (who would be first year in 2017), the marks required were lower than recent times. I think there was a 96er who got in too in the second intake (first year in 2018). For the third year intake (which was first year in 2019), a lot of similar marks to those who got interviews in previous years didn't receive interviews at all. So I think it's likely that a lower ATAR would have got in the first two years but that's slowly becoming less likely based on the data on here. Wishing you the best :)