Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Bond Medicine: General Discussion

KjB5895

Lurker
For those of us waiting for second round offers, I gave QTAC a ring and they said that there will definitely be some second round offers made and that they will come out likely at 2pm. They also said they'll be made throughout the week until all spots are filled.

namida

ms-owesome
Do we need to purchase the white lab coats? In the orientation documents it states "Should you choose to purchase one of the Bond University emblazoned lab coats, it will be presented to you at the ceremony by the Dean of Medicine." Where as I thought that the coats were provided to us by Bond free of charge?
I messaged the MSSBU (med student’s society) and they said they’ll send an email to buy the coats soon

Do we need to purchase the white lab coats? In the orientation documents it states "Should you choose to purchase one of the Bond University emblazoned lab coats, it will be presented to you at the ceremony by the Dean of Medicine." Where as I thought that the coats were provided to us by Bond free of charge?

Frankly, the white coat business is a joke and I advise that its not worth spending more than 10-20 dollars on a coat

WH-1234

I messaged the MSSBU (med student’s society) and they said they’ll send an email to buy the coats soon
So do these white coat have our name on it? We have put our name after interview. Or is this white coat different from the one we tried on? I’m a bit confused because on the bond website, it says the coat is free for med student.

The uni provided the first years with stethoscopes last year, not sure if it was an additional cost or part of the fees though.

The uni doesn't provide stethoscopes, rather the medical society organises to buy Litmann classic IIIs for all the first years, which usually saves you maybe $10-$15 (no price guarantees).

White coats are needed for pracs etc, so you'll need one. If you have one already, no point buying another one, but if you haven't got one already, there's no harm in getting a bond one. Last year or the year before that, the faculty actually paid for the coats, not sure what they will do this year though.

White coats have bond logo and your name on it. Sizes were done at interviews. There will be a ceremony and photos taken.

Someone in Bond HMSA will produce the facebook group once they get a finalised list of the cohort, which probably won't happen until all the 2nd round offers are finalised (Definitely not by next Tuesday).

MSSBU (the student medical society) will create a group called Bond MD 2019, so lookout for that.

If you don't want to read the whole thing, then TLDR: AVOID THE BLOCKS, VARSITY TOWERS AND UNIVERSITY PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

The blocks has been renovated and now is called the Halls. Its ok, shared bathroom dorm style, pretty noisy/lots of parties. Varsity Towers is noisy because of a cheap bar at the bottom, and its pretty seedy. University place is an absolute hole.

I would recommend The Cape or The Reserve (bit pricier), Chancellor if you want a single bedroom apartment (even more exy), Varsity shores for a town house, but on campus would be nice for at least the first sem even if you dont get North/South Tower. Note that the accomadation centre makes you empty you room every holiday as they rent it out to other students whilst you are away, which is a pain, but they do provide an area to store your belongings.

I have a question to all medical students who have already completed at least one year... in the unlikely scenario, what happens if you fail a test in medical school at bond? Do you just repeat that paper or repeat the whole semester/year?
Thanks

If you fail an exam, then you sit a supplementary exam, and if you fail that, you repeat. Max 2 repeats. If you fail a rotation in 4/5th year, then you redo the rotation in the christmas holidays. If you fail more than 1 rotation, you repeat the year.

PM me if you have any questions. Happy to help.

FYI I'm in 5th year so apologies if some of what I say is out of date xD

chella04

What accommodation options do first year med students usually choose when living on campus? I have heard that the South Tower is closed for renovations so that removes alot of the single ensuite options from us? Do people usually go for standard share rooms in the AC? Im just wanting to live close-by to the main cohort living on campus. Thanks heaps!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
What accommodation options do first year med students usually choose when living on campus? I have heard that the South Tower is closed for renovations so that removes alot of the single ensuite options from us? Do people usually go for standard share rooms in the AC? Im just wanting to live close-by to the main cohort living on campus. Thanks heaps!

Read back through this thread. There have been a number of replies about accommodation options already.