Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

International Students: ATAR Requirements

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew the expected ATAR "range" for internationals to get into one of UAdel, Flinders, Monash, Western Sydney, JCU med?

Solierre

Lurker
Hi David, depending on the university, ATAR is usually taken into account with other measurements such as ISAT and/or interview scores. Each university will have different weightings for each component when accepting students. Having said that, I know of an international friend who received offers from JCU, Western Sydney, and UNSW with an ATAR of 96.3. Mind you this was for 2014 entry. Hope this helps!

Hi David, depending on the university, ATAR is usually taken into account with other measurements such as ISAT and/or interview scores. Each university will have different weightings for each component when accepting students. Having said that, I know of an international friend who received offers from JCU, Western Sydney, and UNSW with an ATAR of 96.3. Mind you this was for 2014 entry. Hope this helps!

Thank you Solierre :)

silsk

Lurker
From my understanding, if you pass the ISAT/PQA and pass the interview, the universities will give you a conditional offer with the minimum ATAR you need. My ISAT score was pretty low but I've received an interview offer and got a conditional offer (minimum ATAR indicated on the uni website). So based on this info, I think if you get above the threshold score for ISAT/PQA, the uni will take it into consideration and offer you an interview, which means the offers are solely based on how well you do for your interview...(just need above minimum ATAR).... That's just how I think it works. How did you go on your PQA/ISAT?

From my understanding, if you pass the ISAT/PQA and pass the interview, the universities will give you a conditional offer with the minimum ATAR you need. My ISAT score was pretty low but I've received an interview offer and got a conditional offer (minimum ATAR indicated on the uni website). So based on this info, I think if you get above the threshold score for ISAT/PQA, the uni will take it into consideration and offer you an interview, which means the offers are solely based on how well you do for your interview...(just need above minimum ATAR).... That's just how I think it works. How did you go on your PQA/ISAT?
I got 165/175/170 for ISAT, and in terms of PQA, I got an interview offer from Adelaide.
I've completed my interview from Adelaide, and I think I did alright.
Do you think an ATAR of 98.00 is high enough to get an unconditional offer from Adelaide/UNSW/Western Sydney?

silsk

Lurker
I got 165/175/170 for ISAT, and in terms of PQA, I got an interview offer from Adelaide.
Do you think an ATAR of 98.00 is high enough to get an unconditional offer from Adelaide/UNSW/Western Sydney?
If you passed the interview well then they'll send you a conditional offer. The only condition of these offer will be the english requirement(i.e. IELTS or yr 12 eng) and threshold ATAR (90 for adelaide). UNSW and Western Sydney send out interview offers in a rolling basis which means they'll be sending out conditional offers in a rolling basis as well to fill up the empty spots.

patlim9

silsk hi! it's so difficult to find international students on here, it'd be great if u could help me out. i am wondering where u applied, which skls u got offers from, where u r attending and ur stats (isat score, ib/atar/a-levels). i saw that u mentioned having a low isat but still received interview offers and conditional offers. if u don't mind, could u pls let me know which skls u r referring to? this way i could better gauge my status, thank u so much in advance for ur help :D

I think if you get above the threshold score for ISAT/PQA, the uni will take it into consideration and offer you an interview, which means the offers are solely based on how well you do for your interview

do u think this still applies for 2021 entry, particularly for UNSW and Monash?

hey! not sure if u r still active but hope u r doing well, the semester started alr so could u pls share ur outcome? did u do any more interviews or received offers from the skls u mentioned (UAdel, Flinders, Monash, Western Sydney, JCU, UNSW?). sorry for disturbing and i would really appreciate any help.

jyjy863

silsk hi! it's so difficult to find international students on here, it'd be great if u could help me out. i am wondering where u applied, which skls u got offers from, where u r attending and ur stats (isat score, ib/atar/a-levels). i saw that u mentioned having a low isat but still received interview offers and conditional offers. if u don't mind, could u pls let me know which skls u r referring to? this way i could better gauge my status, thank u so much in advance for ur help :D

do u think this still applies for 2021 entry, particularly for UNSW and Monash?

hey! not sure if u r still active but hope u r doing well, the semester started alr so could u pls share ur outcome? did u do any more interviews or received offers from the skls u mentioned (UAdel, Flinders, Monash, Western Sydney, JCU, UNSW?). sorry for disturbing and i would really appreciate any help.

Hey! I'm an intl student currently in Monash :) I got AAA for A Levels, 183 for ISAT. Applied to Monash, UTAS, UWA and Flinders. Received acceptances for the first 3, probably didn't get accepted for the last one as I applied really late hahah! I've been doing ISAT and interview prep for a couple students and find that students scoring 80+ percentile with good A Level grades (AAA) have routinely gotten accepted into UNSW and Monash. Hope this helps!

patlim9

jyjy863 hey! thanks for ur reply, it is of great help:) do u happen to know anyone who just passed the minimum requirement (170 for isat) but with around A*A*A-A*/ 42 + IB who managed to get an offer?

jyjy863

jyjy863 hey! thanks for ur reply, it is of great help:) do u happen to know anyone who just passed the minimum requirement (170 for isat) but with around A*A*A-A*/ 42 + IB who managed to get an offer?
Hi I know of 2 cases
1. Scored well (AAA i believe) but got 172 for ISAT, received an interview for Monash but did not ultimately receive an offer
2. Did foundation year at Monash, ISAT was 170+ (not sure of exact score) and received an offer. I am not sure if the requirements are different for foundation year unfortunately!

Hi I know of 2 cases
1. Scored well (AAA i believe) but got 172 for ISAT, received an interview for Monash but did not ultimately receive an offer
2. Did foundation year at Monash, ISAT was 170+ (not sure of exact score) and received an offer. I am not sure if the requirements are different for foundation year unfortunately!
Hi! This is not exactly related to ATAR, but I am taking ISAT soon and have no clue how to prepare for this. The only material I can find is from their website and this is not much at all. Do you have any tips? (I am from Canada)

jyjy863

Based on the feedback from my students and my own experience, the general consensus is that the ISAT isn't something you can study for. It's not really out to test you prior knowledge on sciences or maths (like in the BMAT), though it might require basic math skills.

The biggest struggle people have is how tedious and long the paper is, so my biggest tip here is to get plenty of rest and try to get used to doing a paper for 3 hours. My students do unofficial papers and of course there's pros and cons, with the biggest con being that the papers are unofficial (duh). But a lot of them appreciate having something to at least try working on for 3 hours straight to see what it feels like. I can tell you it's exhausting and I made sure I had plenty of sleep the night before with a small lunch on the day of so that I wouldn't get a food coma.

Things are a bit weird now because you're not going to a testing centre, but that may work in your favour! Comfortable environment = less nerves :D

Hope this helps!

hey,
Soo I just took my ISAT yesterday and could you help me understand the curve and the scoring. Cause looking back i think 3-4 wrong (As what i remember but might be more) for the quantitative reasoning portion due to careless error and i am getting damn scared. Could you pls give a rough estimate to get like 175+ or even 180+? Thanks

Based on the feedback from my students and my own experience, the general consensus is that the ISAT isn't something you can study for. It's not really out to test you prior knowledge on sciences or maths (like in the BMAT), though it might require basic math skills.

The biggest struggle people have is how tedious and long the paper is, so my biggest tip here is to get plenty of rest and try to get used to doing a paper for 3 hours. My students do unofficial papers and of course there's pros and cons, with the biggest con being that the papers are unofficial (duh). But a lot of them appreciate having something to at least try working on for 3 hours straight to see what it feels like. I can tell you it's exhausting and I made sure I had plenty of sleep the night before with a small lunch on the day of so that I wouldn't get a food coma.

Things are a bit weird now because you're not going to a testing centre, but that may work in your favour! Comfortable environment = less nerves :D

Hope this helps!

katsicum

Hi all,
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time looking at my dilemma for me. As the title pretty much speaks for itself, I did not apply for the previous ISAT cycle and also have no intention of applying for the next cycle that will be taking place this year as I have not prepared for it at all. I am in the class of 2020 and will sit the HSC in a couple of months and I still have not put down any UAC preferences yet. I would like to know more specifically about the necessary steps I should take to apply for medicine next year. What kind of ATAR for international students needed to be competitive? Is 96+ enough? If I am not able to reach 96, does it mean that I pretty much run out of my chance? Also, while waiting to sit the ISAT next year (2021), what course should I do in uni to facilitate my chance of getting into med? I am currently in Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) and Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) at UNSW since if I cannot get into med, I visualise myself doing something related to education, more specifically in Maths and Science. However, I am uncertain whether these courses are irrelevant to medicine.

Thank you so much for help! All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
However, I am uncertain whether these courses are irrelevant to medicine.
I'm not well across international student entry requirements, so I can't answer your other questions, sorry, but I think your choice of undergraduate degree should be made independent of your pursuit to gain entry into medicine. If maths/science education is your back-up to medicine - great! Do that instead. If you are successful in gaining entry into medicine, that's great - you'll be taught everything from first principles if you go into an undergraduate entry school anyway - and if not, you'll have set yourself up for a viable back-up career. Win win.

no. I rang them too , they said IB39 for international and IB44 for domestic but if atar was the same 99.75 for both domestic and international which doesn’t really make sense .

no. I rang them too , they said IB39 for international and IB44 for domestic but if atar was the same 99.75 for both domestic and international which doesn’t really make sense .
Yeah that is so annoying. I am from QLD and got a conditional offer from them and still waiting for the ATAR cut off. They said it will be released in November and then December and now mid January. So frustrating because I need to tell other universities if I will accept their offers or not. Have you gotten your ATAR yet? and do you know any other international students who also applied for med at griffith.

Also IB 39 is equal to an ATAR of 97.10: University Entrance 2022 | IB Schools Australasia (Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and PNG)