Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Category Scores

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Last Reviewed/Updated: 12 December 2017

Hi MSOers,

I have created the thread to upload any data/charts/plots/graphs relevant to gaining admissions into health professional course(s) offered for Graduate Category applicants at Otago University. The aim is to provide an easy-access reference point for those who are interested.

Disclaimer: The contents here are created using the information available on MSO contributed by past and current members. Any information/advice provided based on these is for speculation only and cannot be guaranteed to be completely correct or true. That being said, we have no intention of distributing misleading information and any information/advice given is with the best of intentions and to the best of our knowledge. - NZ Sub-forum Moderation Team.

[tabs]
[tab=Weighted-GPA Cutoff for MBChB]
????????????????????????????????????????????????????

OGCWGPA(December 2017).jpeg

If you have any problems or concerns regarding the content(s) above, contact a moderator or @Stuart.
[/tab]

[tab=][/tab]

[tab=][/tab]
[/tabs]

Bunny230

Hey Stuart , have you got any idea why the cut-off GPA went up by so much this year? I'll be applying for the 2019 graduate cohort and this dramatic increase in GPA cut-off is making feel quite anxious. Do you reckon it's likely to increase next year too?

Veronah

Hi Stuart, just clarifying if those were the scores for entry off the waitlist of just to make the waitlist? Thanks.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

I apologise for not including the explanation with the attachment. I was meant to add it in at the time, it appears that I did not.

The 'Waitlist' (in green) is the lowest weighted-GPA recorded on MSO that was offered a place off the list.

Hey Stuart , have you got any idea why the cut-off GPA went up by so much this year? I'll be applying for the 2019 graduate cohort and this dramatic increase in GPA cut-off is making feel quite anxious. Do you reckon it's likely to increase next year too?

As of now, none of us are sure what might have caused the cutoff to rise like so. I will attempt to investigate once the course begins in 2018.

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
When I emailed Nicola Hoodless, she said that the "calibre of the applicants was higher this year" but like idk if that's the onyl reason or w/e

I would honestly say their in the middle cause you can't realistically think that the person who got the highest/lowest score posted their info on here. think of it as the average is what I would do :)

Hey everyone,
Do we know how this trend is going for this year? Stuart said earlier this year that we would be updated once 2018 commenced on how the cut-offs may change (increase or decrease). Thanks

D

Deleted member 4350

Have revisited these forums after many years and its inspiring to see the calibre of students improving year by year. The threshold for Otago graduates for 2018 was impressive. I was immensely fortunate to have applied in 2013 when the new 100 level rule had been introduced, which no one was expecting and threw a lot of people off. This resulted in a substantially lowered threshold from the previous year. Sometimes when you are striving to achieve something great, luck just happens to be on your side. That's why you need to show up to work every day, seize every opportunity that presents itself to you - and never stop going after what you want. I'm about to finish the end of my first year as a doctor, and I can tell you - it's worth it!

And for those of you who missed out by one section in UMAT - I failed to meet the threshold 3 times, including my third year where my GPA was sufficient, but my section two score was 1 percentile below the threshold (yes, you read that right - I missed out by 1 percentile).
If you really want it, don't give up.

Last edited by a moderator:

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Hey everyone,
Do we know how this trend is going for this year? Stuart said earlier this year that we would be updated once 2018 commenced on how the cut-offs may change (increase or decrease). Thanks

I remember my HSFY year we thought it might decrease, but nope, it shot up :'( . Maybe not focus too much on what score to target, and just work on the next assessment coming up. I can tell you, from personal experience, that fretting about a target just adds additional stress you don't need.

(NB: I know this is easier said than done, and said in hindsight, but just keep studying for that next assessment :) )

Have revisited these forums after many years and its inspiring to see the calibre of students improving year by year. The threshold for Otago graduates for 2018 was impressive. I was immensely fortunate to have applied in 2013 when the new 100 level rule had been introduced, which no one was expecting and threw a lot of people off. This resulted in a substantially lowered threshold from the previous year. Sometimes when you are striving to achieve something great, luck just happens to be on your side. That's why you need to show up to work every day, seize every opportunity that presents itself to you - and never stop going after what you want. I'm about to finish the end of my first year as a doctor, and I can tell you - it's worth it!

Hopefully my hard work will pay off one day :'( Good pep talk! I needed to hear this I think!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey Stuart, are MSO applicants generally representative of most graduates and their scores? Or higher/lower?

Hi babby,

No, MSO is not representive. We tend to see above average scores here. I think we can think of a few different reasons, but the main one would be that people are more inclined to share information they believe are "acceptable/good". This happens in the HSFY category as well.

Hey everyone,

Hi DreamDr6991,

I have not had the chance to look into the matter closely, but I also haven't heard of any factor(s) which may have a significant effect this year. I think it will be safe to say that it won't sky-rocket (rare event). Even if things go up, the trend remains more or less the same.

Kale

Last Reviewed/Updated: 12 December 2017

Hi MSOers,

I have created the thread to upload any data/charts/plots/graphs relevant to gaining admissions into health professional course(s) offered for Graduate Category applicants at Otago University. The aim is to provide an easy-access reference point for those who are interested.

Disclaimer: The contents here are created using the information available on MSO contributed by past and current members. Any information/advice provided based on these is for speculation only and cannot be guaranteed to be completely correct or true. That being said, we have no intention of distributing misleading information and any information/advice given is with the best of intentions and to the best of our knowledge. - NZ Sub-forum Moderation Team.

[tabs]
[tab=Weighted-GPA Cutoff for MBChB]
????????????????????????????????????????????????????

View attachment 1959

If you have any problems or concerns regarding the content(s) above, contact a moderator or @Stuart.
[/tab]

[tab=][/tab]

[tab=][/tab]
[/tabs]
Hi Stuart,
Do you have a similar graph for Auckland grad entry? Please share if you do. Thanks.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi Stuart,
Do you have a similar graph for Auckland grad entry? Please share if you do. Thanks.

Hi Kale,

I don't have one for Auckland mainly because they don't have such a cutoff like Otago does. I will be updating the old graphs and uploading some new graphs (especially for Auckland) in the near future, I will try to come up with something reasonable for Auckland graduate category.

Thank you.

Kale

Hi Kale,

I don't have one for Auckland mainly because they don't have such a cutoff like Otago does. I will be updating the old graphs and uploading some new graphs (especially for Auckland) in the near future, I will try to come up with something reasonable for Auckland graduate category.

Thank you.
Thanks.

Hi there,

I received this email from the Otago student services and am slightly confused.
If the 66% weighted gpa, 33% UMAT/UCAT only applies to first year entry then does anyone know what the percentages are that make up your total for graduate entry?

Do you just have to meet the UMAT/UCAT threshold and then it’s 100% based off your gpa?

Attachments

• F066C380-A881-47F8-8F3A-CA1964D60F75.jpeg
    F066C380-A881-47F8-8F3A-CA1964D60F75.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 73

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
Yes, just threshold and then it's a "GPA drag race" as I've heard it described :)

yung scurvy

Hey not sure if this is the right place to post this! Does anyone know if Otago will be doing raw score or percentile threshold this year for ucat?