Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Incoming Students

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Do study groups exist between year levels in 3/4/5? Or is it just year 1s and 2s

My group did. We ran a 1/2, then 2/3, 3/4, and a 4/5 to support them all way up to the second VIA. In clinical years, we even live-streamed our sessions to those who were in rural areas but were originally part of our group.

Our group was very tight though, not like some of the groups with 200+ people now, we had about 20-30 people who turned up every week in person. I'll have to say that I think only one other group ran the distance like we did, it's pretty rare. We were the only group (ever... I think) to live-stream to rural members.

My advice would be to stay away from those huge groups with 200+ people, it becomes more of "reading slides" than actually teaching. Go to a group that teaches, not just posts up notes/slides/memes.

What's the difference between Vespa and PSP?

Official VESPA refers to VESPA case nights. Previously, peer-to-peer learning groups (ie. these 1/2 groups) were called VESPAs. Case nights, I feel, are of limited value.

They're often highly attended by pre-clinical students who don't know anything (not a fault of their own! just inexperienced) so often important clinical content isn't really discussed... And this is often the only interesting part! Thus I think they should be restricted to clinical students, but I'm not running the show (un)fortunately hahaha.

I went to a couple and then stayed away, rather do something else with my time.

1234med

Hey all, Just confirming that when lecturers talk about history of DNA, meselson-stahl experiment, etc., this is not examinable since it doesn't (seem) to fall under the Learning objectives?

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
I’ve been told lecture objectives are misleading at times.
For example, in our very first lecture on Cells 1 (and the second one by that same person, for that matter) the lecture objectives make no mention of ‘prokayotes’. Yet we covered them briefly in the lecture and they are almost certainly assessable.

Not too sure about historical stuff, though.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Assume everything from lecture slides and prereadings is examinable.

jelli

If you're meant to read it, if you're told it or if it seems important, it's examinable. Would stress with first year in particular that it's best not to worry about 'what's examinable' as opposed to making sure you're comfortable with and understand the content :) As long as you pass, marks don't matter but providing a good foundation for the rest of the degree does!

oranges

Hello! The criteria (for us at least) just says that we need to do 10 ‘occasions’ of volunteering - there’s no strict prescribed hours or weeks we have to do

1234med

Hello! The criteria (for us at least) just says that we need to do 10 ‘occasions’ of volunteering - there’s no strict prescribed hours or weeks we have to do
Thanks heaps oranges :D I'm guessing it needs to be a new health-related organisation too, not one we're already volunteering with? Does Group A do it Sem 1, then Group B in Sem 2?

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
You do it throughout the year.

I think it can be a current organisation you are with but you cannot 'back date' your volunteering sessions so you will need to do ten sessions in that year.

The volunteering sessions will be done throughout the year and there is no group A/B split.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Back in my day we got allocated to somewhere for 14 weeks, glad they have changed that. I got a good placement at a special school, but some people were packing fruits and vegetables for 14 weeks!

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
MUMUS revision lectures usually have a decent standard. Your PSP/VESPA may or may not be as good as that, depending on who takes it and how much time and effort they out into their craft.