Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

wobblepong

JCU MBBS IV
Anyway, anyone have insights/comments into my backup degrees. :)
The ones you have are all excellent backups. More to consider could be dentistry, optometry, medical imaging and perhaps a few others in the line of allied health (nursing, midwifery etc.).

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Anyway, anyone have insights/comments into my backup degrees. :)
All I can advise you to do if to make sure you are doing your backup degrees for their own merits, NOT for the possibility that they will help you get into medicine. On the major pitfalls to avoid in year 12 thread, one of the biggest is doing these 'pseudo-medicine' degrees (I use pseudo medicine very loosely eg. biomed). Make sure that you like pharmacy or radiography etc.. If you do these degrees just so that they can give you a leg up in the biology side of medicine - I'd ask you to seriously reconsider your options. The simple fact is that you would get a far better GPA in an easier/more engaging degree to you and postgrad unis don't look at what your undergrad was, they only care about your GPA.

On a seperate note, for you, a +/- 0.5 on a 99 is a very large difference and may cost you an undergrad opportunity.

ChillX

The ones you have are all excellent backups. More to consider could be dentistry, optometry, medical imaging and perhaps a few others in the line of allied health (nursing, midwifery etc.).

All I can advise you to do if to make sure you are doing your backup degrees for their own merits, NOT for the possibility that they will help you get into medicine. On the major pitfalls to avoid in year 12 thread, one of the biggest is doing these 'pseudo-medicine' degrees (I use pseudo medicine very loosely eg. biomed). Make sure that you like pharmacy or radiography etc.. If you do these degrees just so that they can give you a leg up in the biology side of medicine - I'd ask you to seriously reconsider your options. The simple fact is that you would get a far better GPA in an easier/more engaging degree to you and postgrad unis don't look at what your undergrad was, they only care about your GPA.

On a seperate note, for you, a +/- 0.5 on a 99 is a very large difference and may cost you an undergrad opportunity.

Aah, thank you guys for your input. Yeah these backup degrees are for my own merits and the 'major pitfalls to avoid year 12 thread' did influence my decision. Anything surrounding biochem I would enjoy, though not to the same as extent as what medicine could offer. Main problem now are the career prospects of the backup degrees, and the fact that I have limited knowledge of physics (could affect biomedical engineering and diagnostic radiography). I can only choose two out of those listed, so need further info regarding each degree.

Thank you

I wouldn't be too worried about your limited knowledge of physics. Chances are that, if it is not a prerequisite for those courses, there are options to do bridging courses to cover the relevant physics knowledge. As long as you are confident that you are able improving your physics, then I think you would be fine. You also do extension 1 math, so I wouldn't doubt your problem solving ability.

That is true. Thank you TKAO :)

Last edited:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Aah, thank you guys for your input. Yeah these backup degrees are for my own merits and the 'major pitfalls to avoid year 12 thread' did influence my decision. Anything surrounding biochem I would enjoy, though not to the same as extent as what medicine could offer. Main problem now are the career prospects of the backup degrees, and the fact that I have limited knowledge of physics (could affect biomedical engineering and diagnostic radiography). I can only choose two out of those listed, so need further info regarding each degree.

Thank you
I wouldn't be too worried about your limited knowledge of physics. Chances are that, if it is not a prerequisite for those courses, there are options to do bridging courses to cover the relevant physics knowledge. As long as you are confident that you are able improving your physics, then I think you would be fine. You also do extension 1 math, so I wouldn't doubt your problem solving ability.

Hello, I'm finalising my UAC course preferences and I have two spots left. Would appreciate it if I could get insights/suggestions into the following courses as a backup degree in case I am not offered a place in medicine.

Personal Profile
- Finishing Year 12 at a top 5 school in NSW
- Doing Biology, Chemistry and Ext. 1 Maths, so I have limited knowledge of Physics
- Self-estimated ATAR of ~99.00 +/- 0.50 depending on English Advanced
- UCAT cognitive score of 2770/86% (aah foolish of me to do the UCAT whilst sick) and SJT score of 681

My preferences so far:
1. Bachelor of Medical Studies/Doctor of Medicine at UNSW - Bonded
2. Doctor of Medicine at WSU - GWS
3. Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (JMP) at UoN/UNE - Bonded
4. *
5. *

Other medical schools I've applied for (BMP for all unis): Adelaide, Flinders, Monash, and Tasmania

Possible backup degrees:
1. B Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography) - USYD
2. B Pharmacy - USYD
3. B of Engineering (Honours), Master of Biomedical Engineering - UNSW
4. Medicinal Chemistry (Hons) - UNSW
5. Psychology (Hons) - UNSW --> Masters of Clinical Psychology if I do end up pursuing this degree

Would prefer:
- A degree that leads to a clinical career especially in hospitals
- A degree with a decent balance between healthcare and human biochem science

Thank you :D
So as someone who never studied pharmacy myself but have family and friends that did (including people who have been working as a pharmacist for several years now), I would recommend researching it pretty thoroughly before deciding to study it. It has become super competitive to get a job in hospital pharmacy and the surge of discount pharmacies like chemist warehouse popping up everywhere has created a lot of issues for community pharmacists.

As for biomedical engineering, that is something I seriously considered myself! From what I've read and heard, it's really important to remember that Australia doesn't have a big market for it yet, so you may or may not actually get a job as a biomedical engineer unless you're willing to move overseas. From memory, UNSW does offer it as a master's degree for only one extra year if you do a bachelor of electrical engineering, so it's still a great option if you'd be happy to work as an electrical engineer.

Good luck!!

chinaski

Possible backup degrees:
2. B Pharmacy - USYD
5. Psychology (Hons) - UNSW --> Masters of Clinical Psychology if I do end up pursuing this degree

Would prefer:

So why not nursing or any other number of allied health degrees, if you seek a clinical career in a hospital?

ChillX

So why not nursing or any other number of allied health degrees, if you seek a clinical career in a hospital?

Ayy fair point, the kind of question an interviewer would ask. I have considered nursing but it doesn't quite align with what I want as a career even though they do work in a hospital/clinical environment. I very much would prefer careers in those degrees than nursing as my reasons are similar to why I have chosen medicine over nursing (this will be covered in my interview if I do get one haha).

Leadership and academia are the two main areas that encompass my reasonings as to why I would prefer those courses and medicine over nursing. I would elaborate on it, but I guess my reasons are similar to the reasons that have been mentioned already by other people of my likeness.

chinaski, what other health degrees are there that is not nursing and not already on my list that you would recommend?

chinaski

.chinaski, what other health degrees are there that is not nursing and not already on my list that you would recommend?

I wouldn't "recommend" any course per se - what you choose as a back up career is entirely down to what interests you. However, your list doesn't strongly resemble that of someone who seeks a hospital-based, clinical career. Additionally, if "leadership and academia" matter to you, your list is also kind of puzzling (eg radiographers don't have a great deal of either). Aside from nursing - which fulfils your stated preferences - allied health consists of a multitude of possibilities such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, dietetics, speech pathology, social work... the list goes on.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Not that this was being suggested above, but I’d caution anyone before they select a degree because it will be “easier” or “best to achieve a high GPA” - this is very difficult to predict given the variation in individual strengths and weaknesses, and ultimately the goal of an alternative degree should be to set one up for an alternative career path should medicine not work out.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I wouldn't "recommend" any course per se - what you choose as a back up career is entirely down to what interests you. However, your list doesn't strongly resemble that of someone who seeks a hospital-based, clinical career. Additionally, if "leadership and academia" matter to you, your list is also kind of puzzling (eg radiographers don't have a great deal of either). Aside from nursing - which fulfils your stated preferences - allied health consists of a multitude of possibilities such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, dietetics, speech pathology, social work... the list goes on.
In your opinion what sort of other career paths entail 'leadership and academia'. Could it not be argued that all career paths have leadership pathways later on down the line with seniority, and that academia exists in nearly every discipline? What sort of preferences would say leadership and academia to you?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Depends what exactly is being referred to by “academia” - are you referring to a career as an academic or a career that requires life-long learning and skill development? Or both?

ChillX

Depends what exactly is being referred to by “academia” - are you referring to a career as an academic or a career that requires life-long learning and skill development? Or both?

More towards a 'career that requires life-long learning and skill development'. Guess I need to research these degrees into more depth. Anyway, thank you guys.

chinaski

More towards a 'career that requires life-long learning and skill development'. Guess I need to research these degrees into more depth. Anyway, thank you guys.

Definitely look at these in more depth. It seems as though this is a list you've cobbled together very quickly, without much thought or knowledge about the career pathways you have included (and furthermore, those you have excluded). Generally speaking (to all), your potential Plan B needs to be feasible, not just something you can nominate so you have an answer to the question "what will you do with your life if you don't get into medicine?".

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hello, I'm finalising my UAC course preferences and I have two spots left. Would appreciate it if I could get insights/suggestions into the following courses as a backup degree in case I am not offered a place in medicine.

Personal Profile
- Finishing Year 12 at a top 5 school in NSW
- Doing Biology, Chemistry and Ext. 1 Maths, so I have limited knowledge of Physics
- Self-estimated ATAR of ~99.00 +/- 0.50 depending on English Advanced
- UCAT cognitive score of 2770/86% (aah foolish of me to do the UCAT whilst sick) and SJT score of 681

My preferences so far:
1. Bachelor of Medical Studies/Doctor of Medicine at UNSW - incl. Bonded
2. Doctor of Medicine at WSU - GWS
3. Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (JMP) at UoN/UNE - incl. Bonded
4. *
5. *

Other medical schools I've applied for (BMP for all unis): Adelaide, Flinders, Monash, and Tasmania

Possible backup degrees:
2. B Pharmacy - USYD

Would prefer:

Hey!

I was in the same position as you last year. Unfortunately, based on previous years, 86%ile means a slim chance to receive a UNSW offer – last year someone that got 90%ile UMAT with a maximum ATAR didn't receive a second round interview at all, although 86%ile may get you an interview in the first round interview as interview cutoffs are usually lower for December rounds (you would need a really good interview).

[ A1's comment: It would be most unusual for a top ATAR + 90%ile to not have received a UNSW interview even for 2nd round. I suspect the likely reason was the person forgot to submit the direct application to UNSW].

The cutoff for non-GWS UWS last year relied mostly on UMAT sections 1 + 2 scores, I'm not too sure how it is calculated this year and whether specific sections are weighed more. However, someone who got a 99%ile UMAT didn't receive an interview at all (granted his section 1 and 2 scores were lower than his section 3). GWS is more favoured.

With your scores, you should have a good chance of receiving an interview for JMP, and you are not disadvantaged by your scores compared to other candidates as JMP admission is based completely off the interview (I believe admission rate is around 1 in 4-6, so not as high as say UNSW or UWS interview to admission ratio, but everyone is on level playing ground once invited: correct me if I'm wrong here).

For Flinders (90% ATAR, 10% UCAT), you will likely need a 99.95 to 99.90 ATAR to receive an offer pretty much regardless of UCAT, possibly 99.85 if your UCAT is higher. Similar for Melbourne's Chancellors pathway – 99.90 with interview in 3rd year, no UCAT.

I'm not too sure about Adelaide, but based off previous years you should receive an interview provided that your ATAR is sufficient, a BMP offer is potentially in reach.

Receiving an interview for Monash interstate students is very unlikely, unless rural entry. Many interstates that applied with incredibly high ATAR/UCAT combinations unexpectedly didn't receive interviews from Monash at all.

Compared to VIC/NSW/SA, I would say that you have a much better shot at WA and QLD universities. I'm not sure if you've applied QTAC or TISC?

The cutoff for Griffith last year was 99.75 at the Gold Coast Campus, and 99.70 at the Nathan Campus, and 99.55 for the USC program on the Sunshine Coast. If you could aim high for your ATAR, your chances are good at Griffith.

JCU does not look at UCAT I believe, and has a reasonable ATAR cutoff, invitation for interview looks mostly at your application provided you meet their cutoffs.

UQ is unfortunately likely out of the question as the bonded cutoff was 99 (OP1)/93%ile last year, and 96%ile for unbonded.

Bond has a 96 ATAR cutoff I believe, with no consideration for UCAT. I believe they cut half the potential candidates after the psychometric testing, then half the remaining candidates after the interview. If you can afford it, Bond could be an option.

I'm not too sure about UWA and Curtin – but chances are you will be more competitive there compared to VIC/NSW/SA.

Medical applications are rough, to receive an offer anywhere is a privilege. Good luck with your applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I'm not too sure about UWA and Curtin – but chances are you will be more competitive there compared to VIC/NSW/SA.
UWA and Curtin do favour local highschool leavers, however it is not as competitive as Monash in that regard. I would reckon that you might be able to get an interview offer at Curtin, less so at UWA. This is because they changed interview invite criteria where UWA is: pass the 99 threshold, then ranked on UCAT and invited to interview, while Curtin is: 40:60 UCAT:ATAR (or the other way around I don't remember).

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
A1, unfortunately it was the case that the 99.95/90%ile did not receive a January round interview – it would appear that the UMAT cutoff was just 91%ile for second round regardless of ATAR, so that ruled them out. I am certain that the application was sent. Unless you could show data for someone that got a second round interview with a below 91%ile UMAT, I stand by my statement.

A1

Rookie Doc
A1, unfortunately it was the case that the 99.95/90%ile did not receive a January round interview – it would appear that the UMAT cutoff was just 91%ile for second round regardless of ATAR, so that ruled them out. I am certain that the application was sent. Unless you could show data for someone that got a second round interview with a below 91%ile UMAT, I stand by my statement.

Yes you may be right. The previous year's cutoffs for 2nd round interviews was 98.2 & 84%ile (these were based on the lowest scores that succeeded with a place offer in the 1st round). I couldn't believe it jumped from 84%ile to 91%ile in one year, that was a HUGE jump.

ABT123

Hi, a bit off topic but I was just looking at your one your older posts about how your 99.85/91%tile did not get a place offer at unsw despite a very good interview. Could it be that doing IB/HSC makes a difference? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, a bit off topic but I was just looking at your one your older posts about how your 99.85/91%tile did not get a place offer at unsw despite a very good interview. I am asking this because I have a slightly lower ATAR and probably a similar ucat percentile but was hoping that a strong interview could get me a place at unsw. Could it be that doing IB/HSC makes a difference? Thanks in advance!
Doing IB/HSC won’t make a difference.

When your scores only just scrape through for an interview you naturally need a very strong interview to achieve a place offer.

Furthermore, and this comment isn’t made at Lyrre in particular, a person self-reporting that they had a strong interview doesn’t actually mean they had a strong interview (they don’t know what mark the interviewers awarded them).

The logical explanation for that case is that the interview score wasn’t high enough (it may well have been a strong interview, but perhaps just not strong enough to offset the lower UCAT/ATAR combo to start with).

Status
Not open for further replies.