Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiKay

To answer your first question, this does happen to everyone and you should be able to change your preferences within the next week or so. For your second question, you shouldn't need to worry about it as they are just general tracker notes that will be updated once SATAC sends over your details.

Thank you.

A1

Rookie Doc
After reading this thread I logged in to change preferences to put UWS first (applying from SA).
On top of the preference list it says:

"You cannot change your preferences until the next round of offers has been made. Check the important dates for admissions on the UAC website. "

There's a very logical reason for this^ > Key dates - UAC

Currently the Sept round 1 offers are due to be released on 12 Sept. The pref-change system is always locked out a few days prior (to prevent students making last minute changes while UAC already started distributing the offers). You should be able to change after 12 Sept.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
There's a very logical reason for this^ > Key dates - UAC

Currently the Sept round 1 offers are due to be released on 12 Sept. The pref-change system is always locked out a few days prior (to prevent students making last minute changes while UAC already started distributing the offers). You should be able to change after 12 Sept.
Offers for what? Am I misunderstanding something or is this round 'september round offers' for non-med courses?

Reactions: Cal

A1

Rookie Doc
Offers for what? Am I misunderstanding something or is this round 'september round offers' for non-med courses?

There are general applications and offers going on all year round. Med courses aren't anything special to UAC.

Cal

vibe
Might wanna contact them asap (if you haven't already) to correct the error because that seems to be a pretty big one..
Lmao I just realised I did the same thing, the application asked you if you finished highschool this year or previous years and I out previous years, but it may have automatically put me in the school leavers category because I finished a year ago but I should contact them to make sure, anyone have the email for it I cannot seem to find it?

doggy

Lmao I just realised I did the same thing, the application asked you if you finished highschool this year or previous years and I out previous years, but it may have automatically put me in the school leavers category because I finished a year ago but I should contact them to make sure, anyone have the email for it I cannot seem to find it?
[email protected] was the email address i was told to email.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hey I was doing some googling and this really puzzled me. According to UWA, they say that they only offer 65 places in their direct entry pathway (High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia). However, according to TISC they offered and subsequently offered over 140 students (http://www.tisc.edu.au/static-fixed/statistics/application-offer/2019-06-30-uwa.pdf). How can there be such a large disparity between these figures? Remember that these figures are for the direct pathway, so postgraduate numbers are not included either.

This contrasts with the uwa reported positions for the DMD direct entry vs. the TISC statistics, which show around 24 places according to UWA and 30 places offered from TISC. These numbers of far more in line with each other.

on a separate note, why is there such a large disparity between the number of people that apply for the direct pathway (only available to school leavers and gap year) and the number of WACE people that apply? 1200 vs. 400 is a very large difference.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hey I was doing some googling and this really puzzled me. According to UWA, they say that they only offer 65 places in their direct entry pathway (High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia). However, according to TISC they offered and subsequently offered over 140 students (http://www.tisc.edu.au/static-fixed/statistics/application-offer/2019-06-30-uwa.pdf). How can there be such a large disparity between these figures? Remember that these figures are for the direct pathway, so postgraduate numbers are not included either.

This contrasts with the uwa reported positions for the DMD direct entry vs. the TISC statistics, which show around 24 places according to UWA and 30 places offered from TISC. These numbers of far more in line with each other.

on a separate note, why is there such a large disparity between the number of people that apply for the direct pathway (only available to school leavers and gap year) and the number of WACE people that apply? 1200 vs. 400 is a very large difference.

Seems moreso that everyone wants to secure a spot in medicine, and so people from NSW, QLD, VIC, SA, TAS are all applying in case they don't get an offer for their home state.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey I was doing some googling and this really puzzled me. According to UWA, they say that they only offer 65 places in their direct entry pathway (High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia). However, according to TISC they offered and subsequently offered over 140 students

65 High academic + 30 Broadway + 40 Rural + several for ATSI = ~140.

Btw it used to be 100 total for the direct pathways 2-3 years ago, plus 100 for Gemsas entry. Now it's 140 + 60. The graduate candidates have been very annoyed.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
65 High academic + 30 Broadway + 40 Rural + several for ATSI = ~140.
Would that mean that each of them are considered in their own separate pools for the purposes for BMP/CSP placement? eg. 28.5% of the broadway people and 28.5% of the rural people are allocated BMPs just like 28.5% of people who get it through HAA, despite potentially getting lower aggregate marks (atar+ucat+interview+rurality) than someone who goes through HAA?

A1

Rookie Doc
Would that mean that each of them are considered in their own separate pools for the purposes for BMP/CSP placement? eg. 28.5% of the broadway people and 28.5% of the rural people are allocated BMPs just like 28.5% of people who get it through HAA, despite potentially getting lower aggregate marks (atar+ucat+interview+rurality) than someone who goes through HAA?

Go to this webpage > Domestic Direct Pathways to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia

near bottom are links to these pathways where you can see 28.5% BMP in each.

EtA : On 2nd look it says, in brackets as if a btw note, 28.5% of *all* places will be BMP, so perhaps not necessarily 28.5% of each category.

Last edited:

Cal

vibe
Just got an email back saying that if you haven't completed a degree (Bachelors etc.) you will be considered a non-current school leaver; so it is all good.

mariam17

is Griffith medicine basically direct entry? on their website it says if you get a gpa of 5.0 in medical sciences you can go onto the doctor of medicine. is there any other requirement apart from the gpa to go from medical sciences to doctor of med

Cal

vibe
is Griffith medicine basically direct entry? on their website it says if you get a gpa of 5.0 in medical sciences you can go onto the doctor of medicine. is there any other requirement apart from the gpa to go from medical sciences to doctor of med
Nope, only thing is that the bottom 25% of the cohort gets bonded and the top 75% gets unbonded; this is in the medical science degree obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.