Status
Not open for further replies.

Rian1716

Lurker
Mod Note: Answered.

Applying for:
(Medicine)
Application Type: (non-standard)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: (98.35 ATAR, 6.1 GPA)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 88
VR: 610
DM: 730
QR: 760
AR: 710
Total: 2810
SJ: 641
Current State: NSW
Applying to:
(JMP,WSU)
Rural Applicant: (no)
GWS Applicant: (yes)
Indigenous Applicant: (no)
Other: (N/A)
Specific Question (JMP/WSU chances?)

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
Applying for: (Medicine)
Application Type: (non-standard)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: (98.35 ATAR, 6.1 GPA)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 88
VR: 610
DM: 730
QR: 760
AR: 710
Total: 2810
SJ: 641
Applying to:
(JMP,WSU)
Rural Applicant: (no)
GWS Applicant: (yes)
Indigenous Applicant: (no)
Other: (N/A)
Specific Question (JMP/WSU chances?)

Reading off last year 88%ile is borderline both for JMP and WSU/GWS. If you get an interview then offer chances are roughly 25% JMP, 40% GWS.

A1

Rookie Doc
Just wondering - does being a GWS candidate just make it easier to reach the interview stage at WSU, or does it make it more likely you'll get an offer?

It's both. WSU has a policy to allocate approx half the interview spots to GWS. Their last three intakes comprised ~60% GWS 40% non-GWS according to the stats in their accreditation report.

ABT123

It's both. WSU has a policy to allocate approx half the interview spots to GWS. Their last three intakes comprised ~60% GWS 40% non-GWS according to the stats in their accreditation report.
Yeh I've read that they give at least 50% of the interviews to GWS applicants, but I haven't really seen it written anywhere that the same applies to place offers (other than that data that indicates that more GWS students eventually get offered).

A1

Rookie Doc
I haven't really seen it written anywhere that the same applies to place offers (other than that data that indicates that more GWS students eventually get offered).

In the same report WSU also said there's no discernible difference in interview performance between GWS and non-GWS. Then considering offer criteria is 75% interview + 25% UMAT, GWS applicants in general have lower UMAT scores yet get more offers so obviously the cutoff for offers must be lower for GWS.

ABT123

In the same report WSU also said there's no discernible difference in interview performance between GWS and non-GWS. Then considering offer criteria is 75% interview + 25% UMAT, GWS applicants in general have lower UMAT scores yet get more offers so obviously the cutoff for offers must be lower for GWS.
Yeh that makes sense.
From the same document:
"The School liaises with and has a member of the central admission services team on the committee to ensure University policies are followed. An admission sub-group meet to balance places as required across the admission categories. Opportunities for enrolling students may be enhanced by balancing places across the admission categories. CSP allocations are inclusive of offers to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, students from GWS, non-GWS and from rural locations."
I can't completely interpret what this means but maybe it indicates that they aim to have specific numbers of different types of applicants (e.g. GWS, non-GWS etc.)?
Also, I'm not too sure what the bit about CSP allocations means - are they suggesting that the proportion of students receiving CSPs is standardised for the different types of applicants?

A1

Rookie Doc
Interesting stats for anyone applying to Curtin > http://www.tisc.edu.au/static-fixed/statistics/application-offer/2017-09-20-cur.pdf

2017 intake - Offered: WA 25 / Interstate 63 / Total 88 - Enrolled: WA 25 / Interstate 32 / Total 57 (31 interstate deserters)
2018 intake - Offered: WA 34 / Interstate 44 / Total 78 - Enrolled: WA 32 / Interstate 30 / Total 62 (14 interstate deserters)
2019 intake - Offered: WA 42 / Interstate 44 / Total 86 - Enrolled: WA 38 / Interstate 31 / Total 69 (13 interstate deserters)

HayRas

Applying for: Medicine and dentistry
Application Type: school leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.90
UCAT Percentile Rank: 78% (annotated mark - see other)
Current State:
NSW
Applying to:
all universities
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant:
yes
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other:
EAS, (also my mark has been officially annotated as I experienced calculator issues that wasted ~7 minutes of time
Specific Question: Do I have any chance at all for an interview offer/medicine place/dentistry place at any uni in Australia? If not, what is my best option to get into med/dent? Also, as a side question, do universities even consider mitigating circumstances/annotations to an applicant's mark?

Thanks in advance

Cal

vibe
Applying to: all universities
GWS Applicant:
yes
Other:
EAS, (also my mark has been officially annotated as I experienced calculator issues that wasted ~7 minutes of time
Specific Question: Do I have any chance at all for an interview offer/medicine place/dentistry place at any uni in Australia? If not, what is my best option to get into med/dent? Also, as a side question, do universities even consider mitigating circumstances/annotations to an applicant's mark?

Thanks in advance
Just for interest sake, how did they alter the mark through annotation, did they send you an email or something? Haven't seen anyone with that before but that does suck large amount, sorry to hear that. For universities that require Ucat, I would say You have a shot at Flinders University, especially if you can get eas to boost you to a 99.95; and possibly UWA for dent and med (not too informed about WA schools), JMP is probably a bit of a stretch but Definitely apply; especially if you are going to do uac anyway. Griffith is virtually guaranteed at any campus you want. USYD and UniMelb Also a possibility with that atar and EAS. You can also apply for JCU with a good written application and if you really want to bond is an option. For Dent, La Trobe possibly (if you have done biology), JCU and griffith. WSU is probably a bit out of reach as well. But your atar does definitely give you many options of schools.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HayRas

Just for interest sake, how did they alter the mark through annotation, did they send you an email or something? Haven't seen anyone with that before but that does suck large amount, sorry to hear that. For universities that require Ucat, I would say You have a shot at Flinders University, especially if you can get eas to boost you to a 99.95; and possibly UWA for dent and med (not too informed about WA schools), JMP is probably a bit of a stretch but Definitely apply; especially if you are going to do uac anyway. Griffith is virtually guaranteed at any campus you want. USYD and UniMelb Also a possibility with that atar and EAS. You can also apply for JCU with a good written application and if you really want to bond is an option. For Dent, La Trobe possibly (if you have done biology), JCU and griffith. WSU is probably a bit out of reach as well. But your atar does definitely give you many options of schools.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes, after some back and forth with Pearson VUE and UCAT ANZ they admitted to their mistake and sent me an email saying that when they send my mark to the universities, there is a note with it mentioning that "this candidate had such and such issues etc etc". I asked for them to modify the mark to reflect the error that happened but they are not allowed to alter marks under any circumstances. They call it an "annotation" of my mark but I assume it would be seen by universities as a mitigating circumstance.
Just a side question about JCU - do your answers to the questions they ask on the written application actually matter in determining interview invites? I thought it was like the questions for UNSW where your answers won't help in getting an interview invite but instead are used during your interview (if you are offered one)

• Love
Reactions: Cal

Cal

vibe
Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes, after some back and forth with Pearson VUE and UCAT ANZ they admitted to their mistake and sent me an email saying that when they send my mark to the universities, there is a note with it mentioning that "this candidate had such and such issues etc etc". I asked for them to modify the mark to reflect the error that happened but they are not allowed to alter marks under any circumstances. They call it an "annotation" of my mark but I assume it would be seen by universities as a mitigating circumstance.
Just a side question about JCU - do your answers to the questions they ask on the written application actually matter in determining interview invites? I thought it was like the questions for UNSW where your answers won't help in getting an interview invite but instead are used during your interview (if you are offered one)
Oh that is interesting; maybe that might better your chances for Ucat requiring universities (obviously depending on the weight they give the 7 minutes), but I can only comment on set in stone results. And yeah for JCU they invite based on A mix of the Written application and Predicted Op/atar. I was predicted a OP1 and didn't get an offer based on my written application not being good enough, so as you can see they put not as much weight on the grades and more on the fit for the course :)

Edit: I only applied to Med for some reason (I still don't understand why my dumbass didn't go for dent as well, but don't mind me), so I cannot truly speak for dent but I assume that it is very similar in terms of offer weighting etc.

Last edited:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Applying to: all universities
GWS Applicant:
yes
Other:

Thanks in advance
For NSW, I'm pretty certain that you haven't got a shot at WSU, JMP or UNSW. If you can get a 99.95, you have a pretty good chance at USyd. For Queensland, you haven't got a chance at UQ, but definitely you can get into griffith no problem at either GC/Nathan. JCU if you hand in an application - hard to estimate for that one. For SA, UAdel is cooked - you probs won't even be able to get an interview.However, Flinders you have a very good chance at. You also won't be able to get a Monash invite for Victoria, but you could go for the UMelb chancellors with a 99.90. For Tasmania, you have definitely got a shot at UTas because they rank based on ATAR. For WA, UWA seem unlikely for now. UWA has changed their selection criteria to favour UCAT more and ATAR less - bad for you. This means that previous scores are kind of invalidated in the collated offers. Curtin is possible - give it a shot, you've got a better chance at getting an interview for it because they go 60:40 vs. UWA's 100% on UCAT for interviews.

tl;dr: very good chance at flinders, griffith and UTas, USyd and UMelb. Alright chance at Curtin and maybe UWA? Pretty much no chance at the rest I think.

Haven't gotten a clue for most dent schools. I reckon UWA is still possible with a your combination though I think.

CatzDreaming

Medical Student 🐐
For NSW, I'm pretty certain that you haven't got a shot at WSU, JMP or UNSW. For Queensland, you haven't got a chance at UQ, but definitely you can get into griffith no problem at either GC/Nathan. JCU if you hand in an application - hard to estimate for that one. For SA, UAdel is cooked - you probs won't even be able to get an interview.However, Flinders you have a very good chance at. You also won't be able to get a monash invite for Victoria. For Tasmania, you have definitely got a shot at UTas because they rank based on ATAR. For WA, UWA seem unlikely for now. UWA has changed their selection criteria to favour UCAT more and ATAR less - bad for you. This means that previous scores are kind of invalidated in the collated offers. Curtin is possible - give it a shot, you've got a better chance at getting an interview for it because they go 60:40 vs. UWA's 100% on UCAT for interviews.

tl;dr: very good chance at flinders, griffith and UTas, alright chance at Curtin and maybe UWA? Pretty much no chance at the rest I think.
The thing is OP may still have a chance at universities that do have UCAT requirements, due to the annotated mark circumstances which may scale his percentile to a possible high 80s or low 90s.

As a result, they may have a chance at JMP and possibly UWS if they're a GWS applicant

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
The thing is OP may still have a chance at universities that do have UCAT requirements, due to the annotated mark circumstances which may scale his percentile to a possible high 80s or low 90s.
Possible - but I still think it's unlikely for that. I highly doubt that unis will care/know how to scale it. How do you estimate the amount of points potentially lost? On top of that - this is the first year they are doing this. Even if they were to deliberate to push the mark up, what would they base it off of? They have no prior history of how to use this annotation. Note that, for the most part, unis just feed these numbers into an excel document, do some math and then send out interview offers. I don't think they have an actual officer to go through the numbers to check for annotations.

HayRas

Possible - but I still think it's unlikely for that. I highly doubt that unis will care/know how to scale it. How do you estimate the amount of points potentially lost? On top of that - this is the first year they are doing this. Even if they were to deliberate to push the mark up, what would they base it off of? They have no prior history of how to use this annotation. Note that, for the most part, unis just feed these numbers into an excel document, do some math and then send out interview offers. I don't think they have an actual officer to go through the numbers to check for annotations.
That was what I initially suspected as well, although at some of the open days (obviously not the best source of information, but better than nothing) I asked the guys at WSU and UNSW if they do take these things into account and they said they do, as long as it is officially acknowledged by UCAT ANZ themselves, but then again this was at an open day and it obviously isn't those guys who are in charge of medicine admissions. I had pressured Pearson time and time again to try altering the mark because ~7 minutes is a huge amount of time to be wasted (not only that but me being the idiot I am stressed myself out and lost focus mid-exam because I was too focused on what was going to happen to me). Honestly, I was just incredibly saddened more than anything that all my studying for the exam was useless (almost 9 months up until that point) and I was so hopeful to be able to get into WSU med (received a scholarship that came with a guaranteed course offer for a course at WSU that obviously excluded Doctor of Medicine).

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
That was what I initially suspected as well, although at some of the open days (obviously not the best source of information, but better than nothing) I asked the guys at WSU and UNSW if they do take these things into account and they said they do, as long as it is officially acknowledged by UCAT ANZ themselves, but then again this was at an open day and it obviously isn't those guys who are in charge of medicine admissions. I had pressured Pearson time and time again to try altering the mark because ~7 minutes is a huge amount of time to be wasted (not only that but me being the idiot I am stressed myself out and lost focus mid-exam because I was too focused on what was going to happen to me). Honestly, I was just incredibly saddened more than anything that all my studying for the exam was useless (almost 9 months up until that point) and I was so hopeful to be able to get into WSU med (received a scholarship that came with a guaranteed course offer for a course at WSU that obviously excluded Doctor of Medicine).
Well hold onto that hope - what do I know? I'm just a random guy on the internet hahaha.

Cal

vibe
Well hold onto that hope - what do I know? I'm just a random guy on the internet hahaha.
But you have a gold star? cmon man that gives you reliability to the infinityth power.

Tomato

For NSW, I'm pretty certain that you haven't got a shot at WSU, JMP or UNSW. If you can get a 99.95, you have a pretty good chance at USyd. For Queensland, you haven't got a chance at UQ, but definitely you can get into griffith no problem at either GC/Nathan. JCU if you hand in an application - hard to estimate for that one. For SA, UAdel is cooked - you probs won't even be able to get an interview.However, Flinders you have a very good chance at. You also won't be able to get a Monash invite for Victoria, but you could go for the UMelb chancellors with a 99.90. For Tasmania, you have definitely got a shot at UTas because they rank based on ATAR. For WA, UWA seem unlikely for now. UWA has changed their selection criteria to favour UCAT more and ATAR less - bad for you. This means that previous scores are kind of invalidated in the collated offers. Curtin is possible - give it a shot, you've got a better chance at getting an interview for it because they go 60:40 vs. UWA's 100% on UCAT for interviews.

tl;dr: very good chance at flinders, griffith and UTas, USyd and UMelb. Alright chance at Curtin and maybe UWA? Pretty much no chance at the rest I think.

Haven't gotten a clue for most dent schools. I reckon UWA is still possible with a your combination though I think.

UTas required very high UMAT and ATAR for interstaters in the past years, but you say they rank based on ATAR now. Do you have a link that explains the new requirements?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
UTas required very high UMAT and ATAR for interstaters in the past years, but you say they rank based on ATAR now. Do you have a link that explains the new requirements?
See here: http://www.utas.edu.au/courses/chm/...ne-and-bachelor-of-surgery#entry-requirements

Relevant bit:
RANKING: Applicants with an ATAR of 95 or more, Satisfactory Achievements in the subject prerequisites English and Chemistry and a UCAT mean score greater than or equal to the 50th percentile, will be ranked by ATAR score.

A1

Rookie Doc
More interesting stats..... for folks applying to Monash.

I have verified from Med Deans data Monash school-leaver intakes have been steady around 240 a year. From VTAC reports like this > (Application Statistics 2018/19 - Undergraduate - VTAC) these were the numbers of offers Monash made in the first round to local + rural applicants

2014 intake: 179 - 2015: 177 - 2016: 197 - 2017: 219 - 2018: 215 - 2019: 219

Basically in 2014/2015 Monash set aside 60+ places for the ~100 interstate interviewees. Now only 21 !!

This also confirms what I mentioned earlier. Of the ~100 interstate invited to interview quite a few didn't attend since they already got a home state offer, thus back then practically anyone who bothered to turn up got an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.