Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
There used to be a very excellent one shared here, but I believe it recently disappeared? Has someone managed to unearth a copy? Crow Yamster?
We have not managed to recover it :(

donggii what sort of requirements are you after? Do you mean prerequisite subjects or the ATAR/UCAT scores required for each of the schools?

If you have questions about any specific schools we should (hopefully) be able to give you an answer here :)

Eleue

We have not managed to recover it :(

donggii what sort of requirements are you after? Do you mean prerequisite subjects or the ATAR/UCAT scores required for each of the schools?

If you have questions about any specific schools we should (hopefully) be able to give you an answer here :)

I took a screenshot earlier this year from MSO, sorry for the low resolution. I believe this is the 2017 version, but it should be the same?

Attachments

• Undergrad Dent_MSO.JPG
    Undergrad Dent_MSO.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 60

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Crow. I applied for Griffith dentistry as a non-standard applicant. Who's going to determine my offer? QTAC or the university?
QTAC/UAC do the work on behalf of Griffith. Griffith will instruct them on how to calculate GPA (as Griffith dentistry calculates GPA differently to what other universities do) and then offers are distributed by the TACs.

dco

Hi
A bit confused about
Which dentistry courses take student after a gap year.
Does UQ take students in dentistry after a gap
Year

dco

Thanks for the reply.
Does Griffith dentistry has seats assigned for school leavers or graduate entry students. Which one preferred there

Cal

vibe
Thanks for the reply.
Does Griffith dentistry has seats assigned for school leavers or graduate entry students. Which one preferred there
No assigned places, but Non-Standard students are preferred because they give a gpa of a 7 to a 99.95 so it is much harder for a school student to get a position, which means the cut off is like 99.80

dco

Thankyou
What about UQ? Do graduate entry students get preference there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal

vibe
Thankyou
What about UQ. Graduate entry student get preference there
They don't have graduate entry, just undergraduate school leaver and non-standard, but they are compared equally so they compete against each other. You need a 99 Atar without bonus points if you are a gap year student, and probably a high 80s low 90s Ucat

Reactions: dco

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thankyou
What about UQ? Do graduate entry students get preference there?
The main selection criteria for UQ dentistry is UCAT score (the same cutoff is applied to school-leaver and non-standard applicants). School leavers need to meet a 99 ATAR cutoff, and non-standards need to meet a 6.5 GPA cutoff (5.8 if they’re a current UQ student). ATAR/GPA is a hurdle requirement only. I’ll leave you to decide whether a 99 ATAR or 6.5 GPA is “easier” to achieve.

Reactions: dco

Tomato

They don't have graduate entry, just undergraduate school leaver and non-standard, but they are compared equally so they compete against each other. You need a 99 Atar without bonus points if you are a gap year student, and probably a high 80s low 90s Ucat

Is there a link from the UQ webpage that states needing a 99 ATAR without bonus points for a gap year student?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Gap year students are still classified as school-leavers, so I'm inclined to believe they are also eligible for subject bonuses. Happy to be corrected, though.

Cal

vibe
Gap year students are still classified as school-leavers, so I'm inclined to believe they are also eligible for subject bonuses. Happy to be corrected, though.
The thing that makes me think that they don't get a bonus is that when you go to the undergraduate law scheme, it mentions that if you are currently completing or in a gap year you are eligible ; and they didn't mention it for the bonuses. But probably worth an email to the uni I think. UQ also don't consider Gap years school leavers in the same way as other uni's, because they don't let them apply for entry to Pre-entry for med.

Tomato

Somebody from this forum asked UQ previously and was told gap year students would not have bonus points for their ranks. Today saw Cal Chuchesta mentioned it so I asked for a link to confirm. It looks like true because this applies to the current completing year 12 students.

Reactions: Cal

Tomato

Ah, no worries. Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the forum post from said person?

ganshenme

Aug 6, 2019
Aditya Shiva said:
I'm a non standard applicant applying to uq dentistry. I've emailed them and they said they will use my high school results because I've done less than 1 year of ft study. Will I still be eligible for their bonus points as I did 4u maths in high school (2018)
I emailed them about this too: I'm a first year student who would have originally done 7 units instead of 8 units, due to underloading in my first semester. UQ told me in this case they will use whatever is higher out of my ATAR or GPA, whereas they will only use GPA if you have done 1FTE or more. they said the bonus points for maths and LOTE only applies to current Year 12 students for the year after they graduate, I.e. 2019 year 12 for 2020 entry
However, since my ATAR was just below 99, my only hope for getting the OP1 hurdle was a good GPA, yet for a student who had done less than a full time load, GPA conversion to selection rank was capped at 94. Only choice if you got below 99 is to do a full time load presumably by overloading and getting a 6.5 GPA

hope this helps

Reactions:Gav10, Cal Chuchesta and Aditya Shiva

Attachments

• 1569644561718.gif
    1569644561718.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 16
  • 1569644561670.gif
    1569644561670.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 12