Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
ganshenme

Aug 6, 2019

I emailed them about this too: I'm a first year student who would have originally done 7 units instead of 8 units, due to underloading in my first semester. UQ told me in this case they will use whatever is higher out of my ATAR or GPA, whereas they will only use GPA if you have done 1FTE or more. they said the bonus points for maths and LOTE only applies to current Year 12 students for the year after they graduate, I.e. 2019 year 12 for 2020 entry
However, since my ATAR was just below 99, my only hope for getting the OP1 hurdle was a good GPA, yet for a student who had done less than a full time load, GPA conversion to selection rank was capped at 94. Only choice if you got below 99 is to do a full time load presumably by overloading and getting a 6.5 GPA

hope this helps

Reactions:Gav10, Cal Chuchesta and Aditya Shiva
Thank you very much for that. I’d love to see the original email from UQ. Both of these are non-standard applicants rather than gap year students.

It doesn’t make any sense to use someone’s ATAR but then not apply the bonus points that are applicable to everyone else’s ATAR, simply because they’re applying a year later. I also wonder if the situation would be treated differently for non-standards with less than 1FTE year of tertiary study completed and gap year students with no tertiary study completed. The wording on the UQ website is open to interpretation, I think, so an official copy-pasted or screenshotted email from UQ dentistry admissions would be nice for a 100% confirmation.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but i put csu dent on my uac and today i reopened uac to change my preferences and i can no longer "review and submit" my application since it says that CSU dent is no longer available?????

Cal

vibe
For Uq dent, does anyone know how long it usually for the prerequisite status to turn from pending to satisfied? Because it says pending for me, although when I click the further information, it says yes next to all of the required prerequisites.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For Uq dent, does anyone know how long it usually for the prerequisite status to turn from pending to satisfied? Because it says pending for me, although when I click the further information, it says yes next to all of the required prerequisites.
I don’t have a specific answer for you, but remember it’s only the start of October. QTAC realistically has another 3 months + before it needs to release UQ dentistry offers. Wouldn’t worry about that for a long time yet - if it says satisfied next to each individual requirement then that’s really as good a sign as you can get at this stage.

DDENT

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I finished my HSC last year (2018), attaining an ATAR of 99.15, however, I scored a low UMAT and did not complete Chemistry and Biology which are required for universities like JCU and LaTrobe. I am non-rural.
Consequently, I chose to take a gap year to complete these subjects as HSC subjects, applying for JCU and La Trobe Dentistry.
Considering I managed a decent application (attending a cultural awareness program and working part-time as a dental assistant etc.) what are my chances of getting JCU.
Also I am aware that the cut of for la trobe last year was 99.1 which means I would have just scraped it, should I be concerned about entrance this year?
Finally, I am aware that my ATAR could change slightly as my marks will be collated with this year's cohort. Considering I will not improve my scores in chem and bio and will only pass.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey DDENT, I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest with you. JCU applications closed end of September, right? So there's nothing you can do to change your application anyway. Your ATAR is borderline for 99.15 but there's nothing stressing will do to change the outcome of getting a result, just enjoy your break whilst you can!

A1

Rookie Doc
Do you mean your actual ATAR can change slightly in the gap year? Can somebody confirm this comment? Thank you.

DDENT is doing Chem & Bio during this "gap year". If these marks are going to be lower than the previous five subjects that made up the ATAR it will remain around 99.15. If they are higher the ATAR will be recalculated with them thus become higher.

Dnama

DDENT is doing Chem & Bio during this "gap year". If these marks are going to be lower than the previous five subjects that made up the ATAR it will remain around 99.15. If they are higher the ATAR will be recalculated with them thus become higher.
Can people with a tertiary record do this to boost their atar and apply as a school leaver?

A1

Rookie Doc
Can people with a tertiary record do this to boost their atar and apply as a school leaver?

Not really. I suppose you can try boost your ATAR this way but the tertiary record still makes you a non-standard. The higher ATAR would only help (marginally) for UNSW.

whatup245

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I finished my HSC last year (2018), attaining an ATAR of 99.15, however, I scored a low UMAT and did not complete Chemistry and Biology which are required for universities like JCU and LaTrobe. I am non-rural.
Consequently, I chose to take a gap year to complete these subjects as HSC subjects, applying for JCU and La Trobe Dentistry.
Considering I managed a decent application (attending a cultural awareness program and working part-time as a dental assistant etc.) what are my chances of getting JCU.
Also I am aware that the cut of for la trobe last year was 99.1 which means I would have just scraped it, should I be concerned about entrance this year?
Finally, I am aware that my ATAR could change slightly as my marks will be collated with this year's cohort. Considering I will not improve my scores in chem and bio and will only pass.
Thank you for your help in advance.
wait latrobe cutoff was 99.1? so no hope for my possible 98.60ish?

monalisa

HEY GUYS! I'm applying for both Griffith and JCU dentistry. I heard that the cutoff for Griffith dent last year was GPA 6.875 but the previous two years were 6.75 - I'm expected to finish the year on a GPA of 6.75 so I'm not 100% certain if I'd make it depending on the cut off.
That being said, does the order of university preferences matter when applying through QTAC? For example, If I put JCU as first pref (because I think I have a higher chance here), would I most likely not get an offer from Griffith?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
That being said, does the order of university preferences matter when applying through QTAC?
No. You’ll get an offer from the highest preference that you’re eligible for :)

If you missed out on a JCU offer but had a high enough score for Griffith, then you’d receive a Griffith offer if it was second in your preferences.

hey guys! would anyone be able to give an indication of what percentile would have a good change of getting into UQ dentistry as a non-standard? i retook ucat this year and got 92nd percentile, and am sitting on a GPA7 right now.