Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bachelor of Dental Surgery General Discussion

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
- Offtopic -

Hi,

This isn't important but you should technically say "(undergraduate) dentistry as a graduate" otherwise it sounds like you are talking about post graduate qualifications in dentistry.

Hi,

Does anyone know the lowest GPA that was given an offer for dent last year off the waitlist?
I'm on the waitlist this year, nervously waiting for Jan!

Thanks!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Does anyone know the lowest GPA that was given an offer for dent last year off the waitlist?
I'm on the waitlist this year, nervously waiting for Jan!

Thanks!

Hi,

We don't have much data at all, unfortunately. My memory tells me it was quite high but the reality should be much less.

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the reply,
The GPA cut off for dent this year was 7.52, I'm sitting on a GPA of ~7.3, has anyone got off the waitlist for dent with a GPA thats .25 points below the cut-off? (Just off the top of your head, I know there isn't a whole lot of data to go by)

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi snow12flake,

I do not recall of any. I wouldn't lose hope yet. Being wait-listed is a lot better than getting rejected flat out. Are you from 2015?

Cha7666

Lurker
Hello, I am applying for Dentistry in 2020 through the graduate-entry pathway.
Does anyone know the GPA cut-off for 2018?

Cheers

Cha7666

Lurker
The 2015 cutoff was 7.24.
The 2016 cutoff was 7.75.
The 2017 cutoff was 7.12.
The 2018 cutoff was 7.52.
The 2019 cutoff was 8.05.
Thanks for the reply.
The GPA jumped up from 2018 to 2019, didn't it.

I think I saw this trend in Medicine too.

Amadeus

ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ
Thanks for the reply.
The GPA jumped up from 2018 to 2019, didn't it.

I think I saw this trend in Medicine too.
this is a lot lower than I expected. I thought it would be higher than medicine though, since it had a lot less places offered. GPA as in paper only? paper average 80.5? or umat + paper?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
this is a lot lower than I expected. I thought it would be higher than medicine though, since it had a lot less places offered. GPA as in paper only? paper average 80.5? or umat + paper?

We're talking about graduate entry. GPA is based on a 9 point scale, 9 being A+ and 8 being A etc. (Check online for further information).

So essentially, last year's cutoff meant that people who got in managed to maintain > As (or 85%) for all their papers in their degree for 3 years.

Offset

The 2015 cutoff was 7.24.
The 2016 cutoff was 7.75.
The 2017 cutoff was 7.12.
The 2018 cutoff was 7.52.
The 2019 cutoff was 8.05.
Just wondering where you got the info for the 2019 cutoff? Only reason I’m asking is because on the NZ med and dent 2019 offers thread I saw an 8.11 get waitlisted for dent.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Just wondering where you got the info for the 2019 cutoff? Only reason I’m asking is because on the NZ med and dent 2019 offers thread I saw an 8.11 get waitlisted for dent.

I emailed them and this was their reply. Entry into dent via graduate pathway is not as black and white as entry into med. There will be GPAs in the waitlist that is higher than the cutoff. They say the interview is just "pass or fail" but GPAs in the waitlist higher than the cutoff suggests otherwise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191014-160726__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191014-160726__01.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 134

Fili

Dentist 🦷

Hi! I was just wondering about these stats because I know someone who studied HSFY in 2016 and got a GPA above the 2017 entry threshold but didn’t make it off the waist list for dentistry.

Hmmm, if that's the case then it might mean that the interview may be more than just a pass or fail for HSFY applicants.

I'd check their exact grade average for their best 7 papers though just in case. If their GPA is above the direct-entry threshold but were put in the waitlist, and weren't given an offer off the waitlist, then that truly is strange.

P.S. Lowest successful waitlist offer GPA refers to the lowest GPA to be admitted into the waitlist not into the course. Doesn't mean they were given an offer.