Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Medical Interviewer FAQ!

Winger42

It varies a lot. I've heard of every question answered badly. I think those with less life experience seem to struggle more with scenario based stations as many a time by experiencing it IRL helps you with answering the question.
Some universities ask about their course so if you didn't do your homework and at least get a general understanding of their course then you will not do well.
The list goes on and go.

Actually building a substandard wall may not be as bad as some other experiences. You will also never find yourself, we are always searching and changing.

I agree with what people have said above. I wouldn't strongly advertise Medentry's interview prep course for those that have life experience. It might help school leavers but otherwise it's pretty non specific. Also if you think $190 is expensive wait until you have to pay for courses and exams as a doctor. I spent ~$10,000 in the last financial year for exams, courses and equipment.
Thanks so much for your answer! I've got another question if you have time:
Of course I wouldn't hide it, but are the interviewers impressed by someone who's taken a gap year/year 13 to get into med (and which one is a better word for me since I'm only redoing 2 subjects)? I've been working on the weaknesses of my application last year (ATAR, UCAT but especially interview - is this good to mention, or is it better to say something generic like "developing myself personally?). I've also been tutoring high school students, went interstate for a bit, did sport, just a bit of everything really. I'm just really confused about what the interviewers do/don't like regarding this (i.e. should I say it shows determination?) Thanks mate :)

whoartthou

Thanks so much for your answer! I've got another question if you have time:
Of course I wouldn't hide it, but are the interviewers impressed by someone who's taken a gap year/year 13 to get into med (and which one is a better word for me since I'm only redoing 2 subjects)? I've been working on the weaknesses of my application last year (ATAR, UCAT but especially interview - is this good to mention, or is it better to say something generic like "developing myself personally?). I've also been tutoring high school students, went interstate for a bit, did sport, just a bit of everything really. I'm just really confused about what the interviewers do/don't like regarding this (i.e. should I say it shows determination?) Thanks mate :)

I get asked this question a lot by students usually because they lack experience. Anything you say regarding your personality carries no weight if you can't back it up. If you say you are determined, what do you mean? Did you hit the gym 6 times a week for 1.5 hours each day without missing a day? If you did then that shows determination.
"I am developing myself personally" means nothing if you can't back it up. If you say "I've been developing myself through mentoring high school students by facilitating and organising lesson plans etc etc." then yes I would agree with you.
It's not about what interviewers do or don't like the majority of the time, it's the way you construct and deliver your answer.
I saw a meme the other day on how do you write "I changed a light bulb on my resume"."Single-handedly managed the successful upgrade and deployment of new environmental illumination system with zero cost overruns and zero safety incidents." is another way to say the same thing. Just be careful not to embillish it too much or force it as the interviewer may become confused or see through your bullshit. This is why a tutor may be of benefit to students.

Winger42

Hey, if you're still answering questions, I've got another. In my "Why Medicine" answer, is it okay to mention that I haven't always wanted to do medicine and that I was only attracted to it in the last few years, or is this a turn off (and something I should only tell them if they ask)? Thanks :)

chinaski

The opposite, if anything. Most mature decision making is made with the benefit of adequate insight and life experience. As such, recently arriving at the decision to undertake a course of study after due consideration and reasoning is actually a good thing, rather than pursuing an idea based on the fact that you've held it as an idealised dream since childhood.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Contrary to popular belief, there's a large group of people in medicine who did not see medicine as a calling. It's more than fine to be part of this group.

Winger42

The opposite, if anything. Most mature decision making is made with the benefit of adequate insight and life experience. As such, recently arriving at the decision to undertake a course of study after due consideration and reasoning is actually a good thing, rather than pursuing an idea based on the fact that you've held it as an idealised dream since childhood.
Awesome, thanks a lot, that's very helpful!

chinaski

Contrary to popular belief, there's a large group of people in medicine who did not see medicine as a calling. It's more than fine to be part of this group.

Personally I tend to regard those who talk about childhood dreams and callings to medicine with more than a hint of suspicion, just quietly.

Reactions: pi
Thanks so much whoartthou and everyone for these answers - it’s great guidance.
I am a school leaver and will be taking a gap year next year and so hope to be offered a medical place which I will then apply to defer for 12 months. I have accepted a UK job in a primary school as a boarding house assistant and teaching/coaching assistant.
Do you think I should not mention this at all in my interviews (as it might suggest I am not super keen or ready to start medicine) or, if I think it’s relevant to my answers, should I talk about the fact that I am looking forward to working, being independent and travelling to broaden my experiences before I commence my university studies?
Many thanks.

whoartthou

Hey, if you're still answering questions, I've got another. In my "Why Medicine" answer, is it okay to mention that I haven't always wanted to do medicine and that I was only attracted to it in the last few years, or is this a turn off (and something I should only tell them if they ask)? Thanks :)

I think it depends on your wording and how you managed to come to that conclusion. If you came to the conclusion with deep insight and understanding then not a problem. If you had no idea what else to do that would be a nono.

Thanks so much whoartthou and everyone for these answers - it’s great guidance.
I am a school leaver and will be taking a gap year next year and so hope to be offered a medical place which I will then apply to defer for 12 months. I have accepted a UK job in a primary school as a boarding house assistant and teaching/coaching assistant.
Do you think I should not mention this at all in my interviews (as it might suggest I am not super keen or ready to start medicine) or, if I think it’s relevant to my answers, should I talk about the fact that I am looking forward to working, being independent and travelling to broaden my experiences before I commence my university studies?
Many thanks.

I don't see this as a problem. As someone has mentioned above taking your time to pursue a career in medicine is not only a way to show maturity but also it shows the interviewer you don't have an idealised vision of medicine. By the sounds of it, that is an awesome experience and I think it would be a loss to not include it. Although make sure you word it in a way that showcases your learnings and experience.

I think it depends on your wording and how you managed to come to that conclusion. If you came to the conclusion with deep insight and understanding then not a problem. If you had no idea what else to do that would be a nono.

I don't see this as a problem. As someone has mentioned above taking your time to pursue a career in medicine is not only a way to show maturity but also it shows the interviewer you don't have an idealised vision of medicine. By the sounds of it, that is an awesome experience and I think it would be a loss to not include it. Although make sure you word it in a way that showcases your learnings and experience.
Thank you for your response - it’s much appreciated.

Hey whoartthou ,

In the interview, would it be alright to talk about other people who displayed the skills needed in a particular situation (e.g. teamwork) that you didn't display, explaining how you learnt how important the skill was in achieving the desired outcome and how you would approach a similar situation the next time? Or would this just highlight my own shortcomings?

Thanks!

whoartthou

Hey whoartthou ,

In the interview, would it be alright to talk about other people who displayed the skills needed in a particular situation (e.g. teamwork) that you didn't display, explaining how you learnt how important the skill was in achieving the desired outcome and how you would approach a similar situation the next time? Or would this just highlight my own shortcomings?

Thanks!

Most questions will be directed at you. Usually the question lines begins with "Tell me a time when YOU ......" If the question line doesn't involve this then it is totally appropriate. You just need to listen to the question.
If you talked about someone else's ability in a team it doesn't really give the interview any information about yourself. If you absolutely have nothing to say then you really have no choice. However, if a student didn't have these "experiences" then I would not be judging that student favourably.

Last edited:

Really hope its not too late to ask questions - but I was wondering how 'relaxed' we should be. I normally find it pretty easy having a conversation with anyone but even in a practise environment where my friend is asking me questions my answers become much more thought out, hesitant and formal. I obviously shouldn't treat the interviewer as a friend but is it better to be more comfortable when speaking or should I remain formal and just work on making my answers flow a bit more? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

whoartthou

Really hope its not too late to ask questions - but I was wondering how 'relaxed' we should be. I normally find it pretty easy having a conversation with anyone but even in a practise environment where my friend is asking me questions my answers become much more thought out, hesitant and formal. I obviously shouldn't treat the interviewer as a friend but is it better to be more comfortable when speaking or should I remain formal and just work on making my answers flow a bit more? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

Interviewers are not your friend at the end of a day. At the same time you shouldn't feel it is a job interview. Ideally you should be formal and confident. An articulate students shows maturity and confidence but it can also come across rehearsed and insincere. You need to strike a balance but I would not be speaking to an interviewer as you would with a friend. The only way to know is to ask someone with experience to listen to your answer and provide you with advice. I would say most of the marks doesn't come from how formal you sound rather the content of your answer. However, if you're aiming for an excellent score then it is important to consider.

Interviewers are not your friend at the end of a day. At the same time you shouldn't feel it is a job interview. Ideally you should be formal and confident. An articulate students shows maturity and confidence but it can also come across rehearsed and insincere. You need to strike a balance but I would not be speaking to an interviewer as you would with a friend. The only way to know is to ask someone with experience to listen to your answer and provide you with advice. I would say most of the marks doesn't come from how formal you sound rather the content of your answer. However, if you're aiming for an excellent score then it is important to consider.
Thank you !!

N182

Not sure if you are still answering questions, but for the 'what is your biggest achievement,' does it have to be something major (don't have many that have impacted me that much) or could it be something small like performing a piano recital in front of a small audience? (which took many months of consistent practice and helped me gain confidence in myself).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Not sure if you are still answering questions, but for the 'what is your biggest achievement,' does it have to be something major (don't have many that have impacted me that much) or could it be something small like performing a piano recital in front of a small audience? (which took many months of consistent practice and helped me gain confidence in myself).
That sounds pretty special to me. You don’t have to have climbed Everest! The question is there to explore what achievement you value most and what it took you to get to that stage. An insightful answer explaining why that achievement is important to you and what it took to get there would likely score higher than something “major” or “impressive” that lacks any insight into the achievement itself.

N182

That sounds pretty special to me. You don’t have to have climbed Everest! The question is there to explore what achievement you value most and what it took you to get to that stage. An insightful answer explaining why that achievement is important to you and what it took to get there would likely score higher than something “major” or “impressive” that lacks any insight into the achievement itself.
Thanks thats reassuring!

whoartthou

Achievements do not have to be grandeur. My favourite response to this question was from a previous student who said she helped her dad give up smoking. I have heard responses from other students who have competed at national/state level in terms of sports and academics. Focus on the process not the result when delivering your response. If you want to do well in the interview you need to start changing your mindset. Also find a mentor that can give you advice on your answers because it seems like you need guidance.

N182

Achievements do not have to be grandeur. My favourite response to this question was from a previous student who said she helped her dad give up smoking. I have heard responses from other students who have competed at national/state level in terms of sports and academics. Focus on the process not the result when delivering your response. If you want to do well in the interview you need to start changing your mindset. Also find a mentor that can give you advice on your answers because it seems like you need guidance.
Yep thank you. Don't have much money to spend on regular lessons but I might go for 1-2 lessons just to structure my answers+guide me in the right direction.