Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

yop234

Hi! Is anyone able to tell me how many people are invited to an interview and how many offers are provided at WSU? And at Monash for interstate people? Thank you!!

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi! Is anyone able to tell me how many people are invited to an interview and how many offers are provided at WSU? And at Monash for interstate people? Thank you!!

WSU about 350 interviewees for 100-110 places. Monash for interstate applicants I think around 80-100 invites but quite a few don't turn up after having received a home state offer, for 20ish places (after deducting the places offered in the first round).

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey. Does anyone know the interviews to spots ratio at Curtin and UWA?

I saw in a Guide 2-3 years ago Curtin said 3 to 1, but a Curtin med student later said actually more so probaby around 4 to 1.

As a guess I'd say UWA is similar.

lottodo

WSU about 350 interviewees for 100-110 places. Monash for interstate applicants I think around 80-100 invites but quite a few don't turn up after having received a home state offer, for 20ish places (after deducting the places offered in the first round).

WSU: Out of this 100-110 medicine places is their a specific quota for Non-GWS/do you know how many interstate students can get in?

A1

Rookie Doc
WSU: Out of this 100-110 medicine places is their a specific quota for Non-GWS/do you know how many interstate students can get in?

There's only bad news to give you. WSU allocates ~15 spots to rural, 90 to non-rural. Of these GWS takes roughly 60%. We have also heard from WSU students there are more non-standards in the cohorts (probably resulting from offers based mostly on the interview).

In all that leaves just 15-20 places for non-rural non-GWS school leavers, "luckily" WSU does not differentiate whether NSW or interstate.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Does that mean for interstate applicants it's not a 1:2.5 ratio (like it is for Victorians) but actually quite a bit harder i.e. 1:3.5 or 1:4? :(

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does that mean for interstate applicants it's not a 1:2.5 ratio (like it is for Victorians) but actually quite a bit harder i.e. 1:3.5 or 1:4? :(
Well, once interstate applicants have received a Monash interview they can be pretty confident going into the offers stage if they don’t do anything drastically negative in their interview. It’s getting to the interview stage that is the major hurdle for interstate applicants to Monash.

I believe the point A1 is making is that because a lot of interstate applicants don’t attend their Monash interviews, it actually reduces the competition at the post-interview stage of admissions for interstate students.

lottodo

There's only bad news to give you. WSU allocates ~15 spots to rural, 90 to non-rural. Of these GWS takes roughly 60%. We have also heard from WSU students there are more non-standards in the cohorts (probably resulting from offers based mostly on the interview).

In all that leaves just 15-20 places for non-rural non-GWS school leavers, "luckily" WSU does not differentiate whether NSW or interstate.

So basically very little chance for a interstate person to get into WSU and Monash. I guess Adelaide and JMP have more places for interstate students.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Well, once interstate applicants have received a Monash interview they can be pretty confident going into the offers stage if they don’t do anything drastically negative in their interview. It’s getting to the interview stage that is the major hurdle for interstate applicants to Monash.

I believe the point A1 is making is that because a lot of interstate applicants don’t attend their Monash interviews, it actually reduces the competition at the post-interview stage of admissions for interstate students.
I see, but even if 50 of the 100 interstate applicants decline their interview offers, that still leaves 50 students competing for 20 places, doesn't it?
You cant perform terribly because you still need to be in the top 40% overall (ATAR+UCAT+interview) AMONGST students who have ALSO made the high cutoffs (you're not the only one who received an interview offer) - so you'll be up against some fierce competition.

zx72ksq8o

Does anybody know the approximate dates the rural interview offers for unsw, wsu and jmp come out?
Also, I'm rural but I don't live in GWS, does this mean that I'm basically competing with tonnes of people for 5 or so positions?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does anybody know the approximate dates the rural interview offers for unsw, wsu and jmp come out?
Also, I'm rural but I don't live in GWS, does this mean that I'm basically competing with tonnes of people for 5 or so positions?

There are ~15 spots for rural applicants at WSU, if that's what you're referring to? And if you look at last year's collated interview thread, you'll see all the dates recorded there.

A1

Rookie Doc
I see, but even if 50 of the 100 interstate applicants decline their interview offers, that still leaves 50 students competing for 20 places, doesn't it?

Take a quick read of this post > UCAT Results Discussion 2019

3-4 years ago Monash set aside 50-60 places for interstate offers, enough for virtually all who went to the interview. Now only 20ish, you still face a 1 in ~3 ratio despite having really high marks to get an interview.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Now only 20ish, you still face a 1 in ~3 ratio despite having really high marks to get an interview.
This is assuming they are still inviting the same amount of interstate applicants to interview as they were several years ago, though - do we have evidence to suggest they haven't reduced the number of applicants they are inviting for interview? The ridiculously high standard required last year might suggest they've dropped the number of interstate interviewees to match the reduced number of places.

A1

Rookie Doc
do we have evidence to suggest they haven't reduced the number of applicants they are inviting for interview? The ridiculously high standard required last year might suggest they've dropped the number of interstate interviewees to match the reduced number of places.

I have not noticed a significant change. For example Ruffle (WA, 2018 intake) got an interview with 99.05 + 98%ile, the year before a 98.9 + 99%ile didn't.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Take a quick read of this post > UCAT Results Discussion 2019

3-4 years ago Monash set aside 50-60 places for interstate offers, enough for virtually all who went to the interview. Now only 20ish, you still face a 1 in ~3 ratio despite having really high marks to get an interview.
Yeah thought so - if it was easy before, it sure ain't now :) thanks!

On another note, why can't Monash be more open and fair like UNSW :( UNSW won't invite interstaters for interviews if they have scores below the lowest NSW student who got a place, and will even do catch-up interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.