Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT: Decision Making

DrC

Does anyone have idea on how multiple statements are marked?
I did mock exam on medify.
From multiple statements which have 5 yes/no sub question. I got 3 right and 2 wrong. But medify is saying this question is incorrect.
Why this doesnt get classified as partially correct? Do we need to get 4 right and 1 wrong to be classified as partially corrrct?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Does anyone have idea on how multiple statements are marked?
I did mock exam on medify.
From multiple statements which have 5 yes/no sub question. I got 3 right and 2 wrong. But medify is saying this question is incorrect.
Why this doesnt get classified as partially correct? Do we need to get 4 right and 1 wrong to be classified as partially corrrct?
If you get 0-3 statements correct, you get 0. If you get 4 statements correct, you get 1. If you get all 5 statements correct, you get 2 marks.

Hi,
I'm not sure if anyone else is in the same boat, but this is the one section I've been really struggling on in terms of timing- which is ironic considering it's the section that has the best question/ time ratio. It's the fact that 1 question equates to 5 sub questions- which is quite deceiving. Does anyone have any advice in terms of maintaining accuracy and speed?

M

medicallyblonde

Hi,
I'm not sure if anyone else is in the same boat, but this is the one section I've been really struggling on in terms of timing- which is ironic considering it's the section that has the best question/ time ratio. It's the fact that 1 question equates to 5 sub questions- which is quite deceiving. Does anyone have any advice in terms of maintaining accuracy and speed?

The five section questions have two different types- syllogism and inference. If your QR is on time and correct you shouldn’t be having any problem with the inference questions, and syllogisms are about recognising the pattern of critical thinking. The more I have completed the better I have become.

If the five parters are genuinely what is killing you in DM then flag them and move on, get the rest correct and go back to them.

apk22

Does anyone have any tips on the long five part questions? I think these may be called inference?? I find that when I do the long ones and skim through the paragraph I really don't retain as much information as I'd like to. Would it be better to read the statement first and then find the information in the paragraph?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Can someone please explain the difference between these two questions, and why they were marked the way they were? (Why can't a dove be black and white?)

I answered the Medify question before the official one, and hence I answered that way the second time around.
View attachment 2663 View attachment 2662 View attachment 2663

I'm unsure as well but my guess is because poisonous and intelligent are 2 different traits whereas black and white are both colour aka 1 type of trait. Hopefully this is why since if not then I'm unsure.

Dnama

Hi All, For question below I feel that C and D are both correct. However in the answer key D is the correct answer and C is incorrect. The answer key says "C is incorrect because as a properly taken sample the answer would be 'yes'". My thinking is that Alice's statement is not justified since she is generalising from a sample. I am unsure why D is the answer and C is not, can someone help please? :) Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 3.34.02 pm.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.34.02 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.34.02 pm.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 78

maniacfish

Hi All, For question below I feel that C and D are both correct. However in the answer key D is the correct answer and C is incorrect. The answer key says "C is incorrect because as a properly taken sample the answer would be 'yes'". My thinking is that Alice's statement is not justified since she is generalising from a sample. I am unsure why D is the answer and C is not, can someone help please? :) View attachment 2899
I think it's because D gives a reason as to why the sample my not be representative of the wider population. Option C makes it sound as if generalising from a sample is always incorrect, however, if the sample was random and representative of the population, this would be a valid generalisation.

Dnama

I have another one :D For this one wouldn't it be a more than 50% chance for all months (ie 28, 31, 30 day month)? I am not sure why the answer is A: 50% only for months with 31 days?
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.25.59 pm.png

jamesatwestbeach

Flinders MD 2024
I have another one :D For this one wouldn't it be a more than 50% chance for all months (ie 28, 31, 30 day month)? I am not sure why the answer is A: 50% only for months with 31 days?
View attachment 2901
Assuming they never take leave on the same day, that's 4 + 6 + 5 = 15 days when at least one of them is not going to be there to see the guest on a given day. Therefore, for it to be more than a 50% probability this can only occur in months with 31 days.

CookieBey

View attachment 2901

Adding onto the previous answer.

In a year:
28/29 days: 1 month < 50% (13/14 days for all employees to be working)
30 days: 5 months = 50% (15 days)
31 days: 6 months > 50% (16 days)

Thus, option A is right.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I think it's because D gives a reason as to why the sample my not be representative of the wider population. Option C makes it sound as if generalising from a sample is always incorrect, however, if the sample was random and representative of the population, this would be a valid generalisation.

FWIW to the OP, I completely agree with this reasoning and came up with the same response.

Dnama

Adding onto the previous answer.

In a year:
28/29 days: 1 month < 50% (13/14 days for all employees to be working)
30 days: 5 months = 50% (15 days)
31 days: 6 months > 50% (16 days)

Thus, option A is right.
I get the explanations given thank you! but Could someone tell me where I am going wrong? I am doing it like this P(SPresent AND MPresent AND RPresent)= 27/31 X 25/31 X 26/31 = 0.59 and if I sub in 28 or 29 or 30 instead of 31 I still get a percentage over 50.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

maniacfish

I get the explanations given thank you! but Could someone tell me where I am going wrong? I am doing it like this P(SPresent AND MPresent AND RPresent)= 27/31 X 25/31 X 26/31 = 0.59 and if I sub in 28 or 29 or 30 instead of 31 I still get a percentage over 50.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!
Multiplying the probabilities like this doesn't account for the fact that they all take leave on separate days.

fossil

Lurker
Hi guys! Is anyone else having problems with the usage of the word "some" in decision making problems? It seems to me that the definition morphs every other question. Originally, I thought that "some" can mean any quantity from "one" to "all" yet recently I've encountered that in a few questions it tends to mean "not nothing nor all", if that makes sense. To illustrate my point: (some of you might have encountered this question)

"Nothing in life worth doing is easy, but some things in life that are not easy are time consuming. Some things in life worth doing are not time consuming."

The question then asks whether "Some things in life that are time consuming are worth doing." I answered yes - my thought process being that ONLY SOME things in life worth doing are not time consuming, leaving SOME things to in life to be both worth doing and time consuming. The answer medify gave is the opposite to what I had which means "some" in this context can mean anywhere from "one" to "all".

Considering most of the people that did the question picked the same answer as me, I surely can't be the only one finding this difficult. What do you guys think? Have you guys found any examples where the word 'some' offers a different/conflicting/confusing meaning (that is, it means only a part of or a section of)?

1nav

I am a bit confused on the line 'none of the students who study history study physics, but some of them study French'.

Does the comma suggest that OF the students that study history some study French?

Or does the comma break make 'but some of them study French' stand alone and refer to the students in general

My grammar is tripping up ;-;

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.7 KB · Views: 67

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
I would interpret it as "none of the students who study history study physics, but some of the students who study history study French". The fact that "some of them study French" is attached to a clause about students who study history, rather than being its own independent sentence, implies that "them" refers to the history students.

1nav

Can someone help me out?
For the fourth statement, is it wrong to consider that there may be more beaches away from Isle of Seaney which may be further away?

Attachments

• dm- ask someone.PNG
    dm- ask someone.PNG
    83.9 KB · Views: 65

TMG

Can someone help me out?
For the fourth statement, is it wrong to consider that there may be more beaches away from Isle of Seaney which may be further away?
It tells you the Isle has 4 beaches. So you would assume that these are the only 4 beaches that are going to be considered.

sunnyrain

Hey guys. I hope you're well.
I'm having a lot of trouble in figuring out the correct answer for the Evaluating Arguments type questions in Decision Making. I'm using Medify by the way. I always get them wrong, no matter how hard I try to understand why their answer is correct and my answer is wrong. These questions are what always bring my score down in DM. Does anyone have any tips to combat this or how this problem could be solved?

Thank you.