Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: General Entry Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
Quick question; does Stage 1 refers to the UCAT and Stage 2 refers to the MSA/PQA ? Are there any other stages after Stage 2?

When first read I thought stage 1= PQA stage 2= MSA but on second check it's 1= UCAT 2= PQA/MSA. No other stages after 2.

Do they consider the ATAR if they have 2 applicants who are similar in both Stage 1 and 2?

I doubt they do that. It'd be rare for two applicants to have same PQA/MSA then same UCAT *and* vying for the very last place. If that does happen JMP can offer an extra place to fit both in. (We believe schools can go +5% of their place quota to allow for drop-outs)

Does the 180 places comprise of 150 school leavers, undergraduates, graduates, interstate, international, domestic, GCE A level holders and 30 places are for rural? Does anyone have any information on how many rural applicants they have had in the past ? This is really over whelming!

Isn't it 170 places? That's for ALL domestics, internationals are not in that quota. I can find the typical number for rurals but I believe it's more than 30, more like 45-50. The 30 may be for UoN, aren't there rurals at UNE?

maniacfish

Yea, I’m trying to edit it now, but it doesn’t give me a BMP option at all.
I don't think you can edit that part of the application after it's been submitted. However, when I made an error last time, I was able to get it fixed by emailing them and explaining.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
However I know that UWA (I use UWA as the gold standard because I want to go there :p ) has separate streams for each, and on top of that each stream has its own share of 28.5% of BMP positions. Therefore, even if your scores as a normal applicant are above the 28.5% of the offered cohort, if you are in the bottom 28.5% of the NORMAL offered cohort, you would still get a BMP.
Just on this Kezza - I don’t know what JMP does specifically but every uni does this differently. While UWA (as per TKAO) for example will allocate 28.5% of rural quota students and 28.5% of non-rural quota students a BMP, other unis apply different methods (which usually results in a greater proportion of rural applicants receiving a BMP than non-rural applicants). As an example, for graduate entry at UQ (prior to reintroduction of interviews), rural students received a 2 point bonus to their GAMSAT score and then would be grouped with the non-rural students for BMP/CSP allocations. In reality, the cutoff score for a place offer for rural students was always more than 2 points below the cutoff for non-rurals, which subsequently would’ve resulted in a greater proportion of rural students having a BMP than non-rurals. This probably has little significance but just a little info for you surrounding BMP allocation.

Iz Rup

Is it a max quota for rural or is the minimum quota? Sorry for the silly question... I know that uni's have a rural quota to fill like 30 spots out of say 100 allocated to rural. But does that mean that for the remaining 70, it's just for non-rural? Or are these rural quotas 'at least x places' not 'maximum x places'?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is it a max quota for rural or is the minimum quota? Sorry for the silly question... I know that uni's have a rural quota to fill like 30 spots out of say 100 allocated to rural. But does that mean that for the remaining 70, it's just for non-rural? Or are these rural quotas 'at least x places' not 'maximum x places'?
Generally unis won’t exceed whatever their minimal rural quota is. The only ones I am aware of that actively do this are Wollongong and JCU.

Rycla

Med or bust.
Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting your first preference of JMP location is if you do receive an offer? Specifically, I'm preferencing UoN. Does being a part of the rural sub-quota affect this in any way, such as a higher likelihood for rural students to be offered a place at UNE?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting your first preference of JMP location is if you do receive an offer? Specifically, I'm preferencing UoN. Does being a part of the rural sub-quota affect this in any way, such as a higher likelihood for rural students to be offered a place at UNE?
That would depend on the preferences of the cohort that receive a place offer. I don't think being rural would help with getting your campus preference, but happy to be corrected. Hypothetically, the worst possible "chance" of you receiving UNE would happen if every single person out of the 170 offers preferenced UoN first. In this circumstance you'd need to be in the top 110 out of 170 (~top 65%) of those that received a place offer to get a spot at UoN. Of course in reality some will preference UNE first, but from what I've observed on here UoN is definitely the more popular campus.

Rycla

Med or bust.
That would depend on the preferences of the cohort that receive a place offer. I don't think being rural would help with getting your campus preference, but happy to be corrected. Hypothetically, the worst possible "chance" of you receiving UNE would happen if every single person out of the 170 offers preferenced UoN first. In this circumstance you'd need to be in the top 110 out of 170 (~top 65%) of those that received a place offer to get a spot at UoN. Of course in reality some will preference UNE first, but from what I've observed on here UoN is definitely the more popular campus.
So if UoN is over-preferenced, the available places are allocated based on interview scores and those scoring higher therefore are more likely to receive their first preference?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is this definitive? scored 96% this year and didn't get first preference (now at Armidale), last year i had mates much nearer the interview cutoff offered interviews at Newcastle -- is there really that much change between years?
Interview location isn't influenced by UCAT score. Campus location, however, is influenced by the ranking of each applicant. LMG was referring to place offers in her post rather than interview location.

Interview location isn't influenced by UCAT score. Campus location, however, is influenced by the ranking of each applicant. LMG was referring to place offers in her post rather than interview location.
Explains my (relatively) shitty VR, my bad!

Just out of curiosity, are you opting in or out?
I haven’t decided yet. On the invite email, applicants have until the 9th of December 2019 to decide. Applicants must email to them direct. After my exams, I’m going to read the scheme thoroughly. I’m from the country & have lived my entire life in the country so maybe it isn’t going to be an issue for me but I have yet to read the ‘fine print’.

A1

Rookie Doc
I haven’t decided yet. On the invite email, applicants have until the 9th of December 2019 to decide. Applicants must email to them direct. After my exams, I’m going to read the scheme thoroughly. I’m from the country & have lived my entire life in the country so maybe it isn’t going to be an issue for me but I have yet to read the ‘fine print’.

If you are unsure just opt in for now. If when you receive a bonded offer and at that stage don't want it you can decline (and make someone really happy to inherit it).

Or you can go through with the degree then not serve the Return of service. Penalty for that is you pay back the gov subsidy for your med course. About $25k times 5 years of study = $125K, only a third compared to Bond and you will have worked a few years to save up to pay.

Sorry if this has been asked before but how does JMP give out its 1st and 2nd round offers? Do they split the number of places between 1st round locals and 2nd round interstates and then have the 1st and 2nd round candidates compete separately for the spots or is it something more similar to unsw where anyone in the 2nd round who has an interview score higher than the lowest 1st round interview score get a place?