Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb UMelb Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and Discussion

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Question: how does one exactly apply for the University of Melbourne Chancellor's Scholarship medicine pathway? Do I simply list a course that has "(Chancellor's Scholars)" written next to it as one of my VTAC preferences? Also, if I do take this pathway will I have to pay the whopping $307,294 school fee once I begin the MD course?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Question: how does one exactly apply for the University of Melbourne Chancellor's Scholarship medicine pathway? Do I simply list a course that has "(Chancellor's Scholars)" written next to it as one of my VTAC preferences? Also, if I do take this pathway will I have to pay the whopping $307,294 school fee once I begin the MD course?
I believe you're offered Chancellor's Scholar positions automatically i.e. you just select a VTAC preference and then the uni will contact you.

My understanding is that with a Chancellor's Scholar position (ATAR 99.9+) your degree (both undergraduate and MD) is paid for, whereas the full fee guarantee (for ATAR 99+) means you will have to pay for both your undergraduate and the full fee of the MD once you get there.

Lear can confirm the above though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
There's nothing to select specifically for the medicine guarantee in VTAC. When you go on to apply for graduate medicine in year 3 you will have the ability to select that you had the guarantee.
99+ (not chancellors) means you get the guarantee for an Australian Fee place which is indeed a 'whopping 307,294'.
99.90+ is the actual chancellors and you are guaranteed a CSP spot in medicine. Of course, you still need to do the prereqs in your undergrad, maintain a 75+ WAM (iirc) and pass the MMIs.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
under the section named 'what are the benefits'
- it says that its only for 3 years, or an extension to a 4th year if you are doing an extended bachelors degree. Therefore, your MD component is NOT paid for (ie. has fee remissions), while your undergrad does.

ucatman

Hey, I've heard that we have to do an interview in the 3rd year of our undergrad, to continue on to med. People say the interview is really easy and just checks basic communication skills. Is that right?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey, I've heard that we have to do an interview in the 3rd year of our undergrad, to continue on to med. People say the interview is really easy and just checks basic communication skills. Is that right?
You need to “pass” (however that is determined) 5 out of 8 MMI stations. MMI assesses more than just communication skills. If you sign up for PagingDr and look at the Past Interview Experiences threads then you’ll see past stations Melbourne and a bunch of the other graduate entry universities have used.

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
Yeah you really just need to ‘pass’ and not necessarily do well. Most people pass every single station so 5/8 should be a piece of cake.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
I believe you have a choice of Biomedicine or Science (Chancellor's scholars) if you are interested in this pathway. I do not think you can select any other course. I believe this is how it was 2 years ago and probably is the same now. You may do further research and get back to us with your findings. Simply email medicine admissions and they will let you know.

>>>>
The guaranteed entry pathways can apply to a student enrolled in any University of Melbourne undergraduate degree. However not all undergraduate courses will enable you to meet the entry requirements - such as a specified major - of the specific graduate professional entry course.
>>>>

The Doctor of Medicine also has specific prerequisite and grade entry requirements to be considered for entry, including completion of an undergraduate degree in science or biomedicine with prerequisite subjects in anatomy, biochemistry and physiology at a second year level.

Godmode

Hey a couple questions - Do you need to do GAMSAT if you take this pathway or is it just gpa/wam and passing the interview? Also I am still a bit confused about how much you have to pay in total for the 3 year undergrad, and the MD programme if you get the vice-chancellors scholarship. Is it free undergrad and then a CSP for the MD (as opposed to $300k?).
Also is there a gpa cut-off or do we just need to obtain an undergraduate degree while meeting the subject prerequisites such as anatomy?
Cheers!

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hey a couple questions - Do you need to do GAMSAT if you take this pathway or is it just gpa/wam and passing the interview? Also I am still a bit confused about how much you have to pay in total for the 3 year undergrad, and the MD programme if you get the vice-chancellors scholarship. Is it free undergrad and then a CSP for the MD (as opposed to $300k?).
Also is there a gpa cut-off or do we just need to obtain an undergraduate degree while meeting the subject prerequisites such as anatomy?
Cheers!
First off, its not the vice chancellors its the chancellors.
Secondly, assuming you get a 99.9 and pass your interview you are eligible for a CSP position in the MD. The chancellors only covers you for 3 years, so you have to pay for the postgrad MD.
On the GPA front, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you need to maintain a certain average to retain your Chancellors scholarship (if I'm not wrong its a 75%+) so I'm assuming you also need to get that across all of your units to be eligible for the guaranteed spot. Also, you have to do certain units and pass them on the first try, as seen in the link above.

zx72ksq8o

This might be a stupid question, but why do I usually see it written as umelb/la trobe? Is umelb med the same as la trobe med?

Godmode

First off, its not the vice chancellors its the chancellors.
Secondly, assuming you get a 99.9 and pass your interview you are eligible for a CSP position in the MD. The chancellors only covers you for 3 years, so you have to pay for the postgrad MD.
On the GPA front, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you need to maintain a certain average to retain your Chancellors scholarship (if I'm not wrong its a 75%+) so I'm assuming you also need to get that across all of your units to be eligible for the guaranteed spot. Also, you have to do certain units and pass them on the first try, as seen in the link above.
Oh my bad sorry I got confused with the vice chancellors scholarship from UQ. Thank you!!

A1

Rookie Doc
This might be a stupid question, but why do I usually see it written as umelb/la trobe? Is umelb med the same as la trobe med?

LaTrobe med is a new pathway reserved for rural applicants. Only 20-30 are selected based on 30% ATAR/GPA 70% MMI to do a Biomed Sc degree in Bendigo or Albury. Subject to achieving 75 WAM they are given direct entry to the MD course by UoM in Shepparton not the Melb campus.

> Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical)

REGULAR JOE

Are australian citizens with Cambridge A Levels eligible to apply or is having an australian year12 or IB compulsory?

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
I believe you have a choice of Biomedicine or Science (Chancellor's scholars) if you are interested in this pathway. I do not think you can select any other course. I believe this is how it was 2 years ago and probably is the same now. You may do further research and get back to us with your findings. Simply email medicine admissions and they will let you know.
I wanted to confirm this from UMelb. It looks like I was wrong. You should be able to do any Melbourne degree. Here is part of the email from medicine admission:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Applicants to the Doctor of Medicine can apply with undergraduate studies from any discipline. Eligibility criteria for the guaranteed entry scheme does not require applicants to be enrolled in a specific discipline.

In regards to your query about transferring degrees during your undergraduate studies, as long as the first course after Year 12 was a University of Melbourne undergraduate degree and course changes have occurred only among University of Melbourne courses, you will still be eligible for the guaranteed entry pathways.

There are two common pathways from undergraduate studies at the University of Melbourne. The Bachelor of Biomedicine provides students with integrated studies in human biology. These integrated studies will meet all subject prerequisites for further study in medicine, dentistry and physiotherapy. The Bachelor of Science is an equally valid pathway that offers greater course flexibility, however, students must ensure they choose the appropriate subjects to meet the selection prerequisites.

Applicants eligible for guaranteed entry will not be required to complete the Graduate Australian Medical School Admission Test (GAMSAT).

Note: prerequisite studies in anatomy, physiology and biochemistry consisting of at least one subject at second-year level of each,

If you meet the eligibility criteria for the Guaranteed Entry Scheme (Guaranteed entry : Students), you apply directly to the University. If you wish to be considered for a Commonwealth Support Place in the Doctor of Medicine, you can also apply through GEMSAS (http://www.gemsas.edu.au/). In the year you plan to apply for the Doctor of Medicine, there will be a published application timeline you can follow.

For further information regarding the Doctor of Medicine please visit our website:
Doctor of Medicine
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hope this clarifies a little. When in doubt simply email the uni. They are usually prompt. The UMelb website was a little confusing as they seemed to be suggesting the route is through Biomedicine or Science undergraduate degree for this pathway. It was also the impression I got 2 years ago but I now know better. Best wishes to all.

Hate to jump in but I had a quick question about Melbourne Uni. It does have an interview after the undergraduate degree, right? I didn't apply for it because of this but I wanted to make sure.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hate to jump in but I had a quick question about Melbourne Uni. It does have an interview after the undergraduate degree, right? I didn't apply for it because of this but I wanted to make sure.
Yes, it does. It's a hurdle requirement to gain entry into the MD. Though, having to sit a hurdle interview three years down the line seems like an unusual reason not to apply for a course - has this deterred you from applying to all medical/dental schools that include an interview as part of their selection process?

Yes, it does. It's a hurdle requirement to gain entry into the MD. Though, having to sit a hurdle interview three years down the line seems like an unusual reason not to apply for a course - has this deterred you from applying to all medical/dental schools that include an interview as part of their selection process?
I just don't want to go through the stress of potentially not being able to do medicine at the uni I would do three years of undergrad at. I preferred interviews to be prior to the undergraduate admission so I did apply to medical schools which had such interviews.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

Does anyone know what the success rates are for the Chanchellor's Scholars (99.90)/FFP(99+) interviews are at melbourne.