Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd USyd Medicine: RRAS and MySydney (prev. E12) Entry Questions and Discussion

worldno8

Hey, quick question, do E12 students have to attend the assessment day? I’m guessing not if you have an offer already (presumably conditional on your ATAR?).
I'm assuming assessment day means the group interview? I think we do; the email said that you must pass an "internal assessment process including a panel interview". We just have a lower ATAR cutoff (99.5), more achievable than .95 haha.

Is anyone also aware about the odds of getting an offer or how many people are interviewed for med via the E12 scheme?

Also, just to confirm - does WSU release its offers in Jan as well? Since it conducts its instate interviews in Nov.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm assuming assessment day means the group interview? I think we do; the email said that you must pass an "internal assessment process including a panel interview". We just have a lower ATAR cutoff (99.5), more achievable than .95 haha.

Is anyone also aware about the odds of getting an offer or how many people are interviewed for med via the E12 scheme?

Also, just to confirm - does WSU release its offers in Jan as well? Since it conducts its instate interviews in Nov.

Ahhh, so all you’ve really been told is that if you meet the ATAR hurdle and pass the interview, THEN you’ll get an offer. Which I guess they can do given they have a firm ATAR requirement so can state who will be eligible and who won’t. Though it does seem to be jumping the gun a little, rather than an ‘offer’, this seems more like an interview invite.

I think it’s been mentioned that there’s about a 2:1 ratio for 99.95s, but I have no idea what it’s like for E12s.

worldno8

Ahhh, so all you’ve really been told is that if you meet the ATAR hurdle and pass the interview, THEN you’ll get an offer. Which I guess they can do given they have a firm ATAR requirement so can state who will be eligible and who won’t. Though it does seem to be jumping the gun a little, rather than an ‘offer’, this seems more like an interview invite.

I think it’s been mentioned that there’s about a 2:1 ratio for 99.95s, but I have no idea what it’s like for E12s.
Mhm, honestly I'm really happy. Another potential opportunity to stay in my home-state! :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Mhm, honestly I'm really happy. Another potential opportunity to stay in my home-state! :D

Oh, absolutely! I was more questioning USyd’s terminology (assuming they’re calling it an offer) than yours! It’s a great opportunity and if E12 has a similar ratio to the 99.95s, then it’s probably the most favourable you’ll get so good luck!!

jid

Lurker
Hey, quick question- I'm a bit confused by the wording of the offer- it says we have to 'pass' a panel interview, does that mean it's a significant part of the selection process or just something to determine whether ur sane or not?

A1

Rookie Doc

USyd offers a set number of 30 places for the Med double degree. Before E12, the number of interviewees is not determined by USyd but by how many 99.95s apply (since every 99.95 is guaranteed an interview). I think it has been more/less 50 thus roughly 60% offer chance.

With E12 I'm not sure but I don't think every 99.5+ who applies gets an interview, which means USyd does set an E12 interview quota. Let's say it's 20, they are likely put into the same pool with the 99.95s and compete equally for the 30 places, reducing offer chance to less than 50%.

If E12s are kept in a separate pool we have no idea what the offer chance is, since no-one knows how many E12 interviewees and places.

worldno8

Hey, quick question- I'm a bit confused by the wording of the offer- it says we have to 'pass' a panel interview, does that mean it's a significant part of the selection process or just something to determine whether ur sane or not?
Did you receive an email from UAC about your conditional offer? I was only told about my offer by USyd Admissions - no word from UAC yet.

worldno8

That's strange, because I got my email from UAC but not Usyd
Uh, I better call up UAC then.

update: UAC said that E12 is independent and for USYD only so they directly email the applicants?? Very confused because my friend got a UAC email for USYD Law but not from USYD themselves. I will go call USYD now.

Last edited:

BobML

Lurker
There seems to be very little information about the USYD interview available ...

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
An open question for anyone who's familiar with the USyd E12 entry scheme: while a minimum 99.50+ ATAR is required, does that mean anyone with a 99.50+ ATAR who applies under E12 will be guaranteed an interview? Or is it more of a "minimum to be eligible for consideration" i.e. the cutoff might be higher than 99.50 to get an interview since there's more E12 applicants than interviewee slots?

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
An open question for anyone who's familiar with the USyd E12 entry scheme: while a minimum 99.50+ ATAR is required, does that mean anyone with a 99.50+ ATAR who applies under E12 will be guaranteed an interview? Or is it more of a "minimum to be eligible for consideration" i.e. the cutoff might be higher than 99.50 to get an interview since there's more E12 applicants than interviewee slots?

There isn't the usual disclaimer You may need higher to be competitive so I'd say all E12s with 99.5+ will get an invite.

Btw how ironic is it that on the website USyd proudly say "We understand that your ATAR does not always reflect your ability to do well at university", then proceed to require 99.95 no less for an interview :D

ellec8

Lurker
Hi, I'm just wondering how the USYD E12 scheme works, in terms of offers for med. What offer round do they send place offers in, since you also need the interview, like is it separate to the standard high school leavers' offer round? I'm just not sure whether I want to apply for it, since I'm more interested in UNSW/WSU, and since there are only 2 (I think) offer rounds, I would rather get an offer for one of those unis than for USYD. Or would this all be resolved by putting USYD lower on my UAC preferences?

A1

Rookie Doc
I'm just wondering how the USYD E12 scheme works, in terms of offers for med.
Every 99.95 applying to USyd gets invited to interview, but it might not be the same for E12s i.e. there may be a competitive quota how many E12s are invited. After that I believe they are all in the same pool equally vying for the ~30 place offers.

What offer round do they send place offers in, since you also need the interview, like is it separate to the standard high school leavers' offer round?
USyd usually holds the interviews just 1-2 days after ATAR is released, then makes offers 1-2 days after that - which means around 20ish Dec well before the other med schools' first offer round. Iirc you need to place USyd 1st pref on that date, then after receiving/accepting USyd offer move it to bottom pref.

What offer round do they send place offers in, since you also need the interview, like is it separate to the standard high school leavers' offer round?
At the recent USYD Assessment Day Webinar, they said E12 99.5 are in the same pool as other domestic applicants with ATAR 99.95.
Or would this all be resolved by putting USYD lower on my UAC preferences?
They said it does not matter what order you preference DDMD, as long as it's placed as "one of" your preferences.