Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
did you guys still get any interview for other places? got 87th ucat but didn't get any med interviews
87th percentile unfortunately missed out on a number of interviews by a hair:

JMP: 2840/90th
Uadel: 2860/91st
WSU: Difficult to establish cutoff because of differently weighted sections but a rule of thumb is 700+ VR and 90th+ percentile overall.

H2.

Hi,
I was thinking to start preparing for Monash MMI interviews. But I'm not sure if I'd just be wasting my time.

Can someone please advise me if there is any (significant) chance of getting an interview offer with a 72th percentile UCAT, and a 97-99 ATAR?
I have applied through SEAS (financial disadvantage, difficult circumstances and first in family to go to University.)

Also with the JCU med what are the chances of one getting a second round interview offer, if they did not receive first round?

Is there usually a table/desk between you and the interviewer and also for mmis do we get the scenario/question in front of us after the 2 mins at the start?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi,
I was thinking to start preparing for Monash MMI interviews. But I'm not sure if I'd just be wasting my time.

Can someone please advise me if there is any (significant) chance of getting an interview offer with a 72th percentile UCAT, and a 97-99 ATAR?
I have applied through SEAS (financial disadvantage, difficult circumstances and first in family to go to University.)

In the collated data there was a Monash invite with IB44 (99.85) 75%ile. If SEAS pushes your ATAR to 99.95 you might make it.

Also with the JCU med what are the chances of one getting a second round interview offer, if they did not receive first round?

Usually only if your actual ATAR shows an improvement over the predicted enough to get you above the interview cutoff line.
(It's why JCU 2nd round invites are released late December after actual ATARs are known).

A1

Rookie Doc
Is there usually a table/desk between you and the interviewer and also for mmis do we get the scenario/question in front of us after the 2 mins at the start?

Yes there is usually a desk between the interviewer(s) and you. The MMI I went to the scenario/questions were posted at the door for you to read during the two minutes before you enter the room.

H2.

In the collated data there was a Monash invite with IB44 (99.85) 75%ile. If SEAS pushes your ATAR to 99.95 you might make it.

Usually only if your actual ATAR shows an improvement over the predicted enough to get you above the interview cutoff line.
(It's why JCU 2nd round invites are released late December after actual ATARs are known).

Thank you very much. :)
I guess I'll start some preparation for Monash and then if I get a 99+ ATAR, then I'll start preparing heavily. I also also applied for bonded place, does this increase my chances? or did you already account for the fact that if I did get an interview/offer it would be for bonded place?
For JCU, I think school predicted 98-98.5, so I guess if I get 99+ ATAR then I'll prepare for second round interviews.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Yes there is usually a desk between the interviewer(s) and you. The MMI I went to the scenario/questions were posted at the door for you to read during the two minutes before you enter the room.
Wait there's no questions in the actual room? What if you forget the details in the middle of your discussion?

A1

Rookie Doc
Wait there's no questions in the actual room? What if you forget the details in the middle of your discussion?

The info at the door is more on scenario or what this station is about, for you to prepare your thoughts. After you enter the room the interviewer will take you through the questions one by one. It's not like you have to remember the whole series of questions for the station.

Iirc the info sheet was available in the room as well, but I was so busy thinking/talking to the interviewer that it never occurred to me I needed to read it again.

LAV2

Will interviewers expect you to know about the latest research projects in medicine at their uni and in general to show initiative in applicants?

A1

Rookie Doc
Will interviewers expect you to know about the latest research projects in medicine at their uni and in general to show initiative in applicants?

Usually not. Undergrad interviews generally don't involve anything on medicine itself. The closest to it might be have you looked into the school's course structure, contents, teaching method, what are your thoughts of it.

A1

Rookie Doc
I also also applied for bonded place, does this increase my chances? or did you already account for the fact that if I did get an interview/offer it would be for bonded place?

Bonded or not has no effect on being selected for interview.

At the offer stage, among the successful applicants the top 72% get unbonded bottom 28% bonded. For Monash if you go into the interview round with a near bottom UCAT or ATAR it's hard enough (but possible) to bridge that gap to get an offer. Thus bonded is more likely, it doesn't mean you can only get bonded.

A1 would you kindly be able to pm me the mmi prep pdf as well? it would be greatly appreciated :)

some questions i had in general were:
- in mmis are there follow up questions? are scenarios broken up into a chunk of questions generally? does this vary depending on where you're interviewing?
- are mmis conducted standing up or sitting down (insignificant question but im quite lost on the whole process and how it works)
- if you could redo the mmi interview what would you do differently?

thank you in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.