Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU CSU Dentistry: Interview Prep

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
For anyone who is interested about CSU dent interviews, I thought I'll provide a summary of the questions and activities since all interviews have concluded today.

First question was tell me about yourself and why you are suited to dentistry?

Second question was about dental work experience?

Third question was about what are some main issues in indigenous health particularly dentistry.

Then they gave me a list of the dental school attributes and told me to select the one that's least important to dental practice. I ended up picking be nice and warm to patients but honestly all of them were relevant imo.

Second activity was a tricky puzzle that had two large chains on either end of the link and a chain in the middle. They asked you to take the middle chain out. I heard that only 2 people managed to do it this year. They then asked what have you learnt from the exercise and if you have a difficult problem how would you go about to solve it.

The final question was drawing a model tooth that was on the desk.

Hope everyone who had CSU interviews did great. Apparently 16 people didn't show up this year.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks for sharing, mzho12. I've made this its own thread so it doesn't get lost and can be easily accessed by future applicants. If there are others also interviewing at CSU, we'd love for you to also share your experiences and questions with us!

NecroTed

I had a quite similar experience. My line of questioning was this (as best as I can remember):

1. Tell us about yourself and why dentistry?

2. How would the rural and Indigenous focus at CSU benefit you?

3. They also gave me a list of attributes that they focus on teaching at the uni and which one I would pick (I did inclusive).

4. I got asked a scenario, it was something like this: "Your headmaster is giving an hour-long speech but his fly is down. What do you do?"

5. I had to do a horseshoe type of puzzle (very similar to this: ). Then they asked me what I found difficult and what my thought process was.

6. Then they asked me to draw an outline of a tooth based on a large model they had.

The good thing about this interview was that the interviewers seem pretty chill, so don't worry about feeling too intimidated or anything like that :)

I’m so glad someone this thread! I had pretty similar questions as well! My interviewers had very stoic expressions and barely smiled. It kinda freaked me out. Does anyone know when we would be receiving hearing from them? I heard it was early December...

Dr Dent

I’m so glad someone this thread! I had pretty similar questions as well! My interviewers had very stoic expressions and barely smiled. It kinda freaked me out. Does anyone know when we would be receiving hearing from them? I heard it was early December...
On the document they gave me it says 6 December 2018. Did you get 2 guys and a women? I had them and there was no smile at all haha.

On the document they gave me it says 6 December 2018. Did you get 2 guys and a women? I had them and there was no smile at all haha.
Oh what document? I heard there would be second round offers as well... hopefully.
I did as well!! I know one of the male interviewers is the Dean of the faculty.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for the thread mzho - super helpful for future applicants. My fingers are crossed for you guys! :)

Dr Dent

Thanks for the thread mzho - super helpful for future applicants. My fingers are crossed for you guys! :)
Thanks Yamster!

Oh what document? I heard there would be second round offers as well... hopefully.
I did as well!! I know one of the male interviewers is the Dean of the faculty.
So when you walked in, they asked you whether you were from Orange. If you said no, then they gave you a bag with some tourist info. In that bag was also a sheet about CSU dent and on the first page it says that offers are released on 6 December. The guy from my tour also confirmed it. In saying that though, you have to have CSU as your first preference and the offers are apparently conditional on you keeping CSU as your first preference on UAC until late December.

In saying that though, on the UAC website, it has somewhat different information regarding offer dates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Yamster!

So when you walked in, they asked you whether you were from Orange. If you said no, then they gave you a bag with some tourist info. In that bag was also a sheet about CSU dent and on the first page it says that offers are released on 6 December. The guy from my tour also confirmed it. In saying that though, you have to have CSU as your first preference and the offers are apparently conditional on you keeping CSU as your first preference on UAC until late December.

In saying that though, on the UAC website, it has somewhat different information regarding offer dates.

It’s funny though... I asked the panel of judges about receiving the outcome of the interview and he said around Christmas period and early January. I just went to look at the tourist info packet and found the sheet.

magpie19

Hi,
I was told that in the past students were asked technical questions relating to dental procedures. Was this correct? Thank you to the members who shared their experiences last year.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi,
I was told that in the past students were asked technical questions relating to dental procedures. Was this correct? Thank you to the members who shared their experiences last year.
Hutcherson should be able to answer this, but I’d find this highly unlikely given that you are sitting the interview to determine your eligibility to study dentistry, not to test your dental skills that you haven’t been taught.

Also, the most recent interview experiences will probably give you the best guidance towards questions that could be asked this year.

Hi magpie19, I attended the csu dent interview last year. There were no questions on any technical info for dent, for me. My experience was very similar to the one posted above by NecroTed. Hope that helps :)) Good luck!!!

magpie19

Thank you for your reply
Hutcherson should be able to answer this, but I’d find this highly unlikely given that you are sitting the interview to determine your eligibility to study dentistry, not to test your dental skills that you haven’t been taught.

Also, the most recent interview experiences will probably give you the best guidance towards questions that could be asked this year.

leez

also, did they know whether you were a year 12 or nonstandard student? (I'm a nonstandard and just wondering if they'll ask any questions related to that - eg. what you're currently studying and why you think dentistry is a better fit for you)

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
also, did they know whether you were a year 12 or nonstandard student? (I'm a nonstandard and just wondering if they'll ask any questions related to that - eg. what you're currently studying and why you think dentistry is a better fit for you)
Whether or not they ask you that question, I would be very worried if you decided to pursue a career in dentistry without considering what makes it so much better than your current degree. Ultimately, if the passion for dentistry is there, you would be able to very easily explain your reasons.

hi leez, I was a non-standard too. From memory, they didn't mention anything about my non-standard status and my previous degree. I'm not sure if they knew or not though. Though I agree with ponyswordz , it would be highly beneficial to have a well-thought out answer to why dentistry above all degrees (including ur current one), so that its clear dentistry is your first choice and not a backup! Best of luck!! :)