Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobML

Lurker
Monash usually says Week commencing Monday with invites sent on Wed or Thurs iirc.

That said, I suspect Monash will do differently this year just to get me haha.
Does Monash also give interstate applicants interview offers during this time frame?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Does Monash also give interstate applicants interview offers during this time frame?
No - Monash sends out interstate interview offers in January, after home state universities have released their place offers.

Cal

vibe
Yah something like 30 students according to A1. Interstate interviewees total around 100, making a 1:3 ratio of interview to place offers.
But in general that hundred students doesn't mean that all will turn up, because it is so late lots of people will have accepted home state offers. So although it is hard to get an invite to an interview; it is one of the less stressful interviews because of the increased likelyhood of an offer, so if you get an offer you are in a great place :)

A1

Rookie Doc
Yah something like 30 students according to A1.

We know Monash's undergrad quota is 240. VTAC stats show last two years Monash made 210ish first-round offers to Vic & rural applicants. That leaves less than 30 places, plus any declines, for interstates. I don't think many Vic students would decline Monash for 7-year UMelb though, so any declines would be only from rural interstate.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
We know Monash's undergrad quota is 240. VTAC stats show last two years Monash made 210ish first-round offers to Vic & rural applicants. That leaves less than 30 places, plus any declines, for interstates. I don't think many Vic students would decline Monash for 7-year UMelb though, so any declines would be only from rural interstate.
30 places wouldn't be a problem if only 30 interviewees showed up amirite? 😉 Here's to hoping that heaps of interstate applicants are happy with their home state offers: 🥂

A1

Rookie Doc
30 places wouldn't be a problem if only 30 interviewees showed up amirite? 😉 Here's to hoping that heaps of interstate applicants are happy with their home state offers: 🥂

You should have been born 4 years earlier and applied the year I did ;)

That year Monash left 60ish places for interstates and not even 60 turned up for interview. Monash had to call up a few more to fly over urgently for top-up interviews.

MacDaddy

You should have been born 4 years earlier and applied the year I did ;)

That year Monash left 60ish places for interstates and not even 60 turned up for interview. Monash had to call up a few more to fly over urgently for top-up interviews.
And did you get in?

kpsmms

What would be the lowest atar needed to get a UNSW interview? I have EAS and my ucat is 96%. Feeling really nervous for 2 days time...
EDIT: Not sure how the points are applied to my atar, but if everything has gone right with the documentation, I should be getting the maximum amount of added points. Does that mean that if I get a 94.95, I would be increased to 99.95? Again, really not sure how it all works. Thanks!

What would be the lowest atar needed to get a UNSW interview? I have EAS and my ucat is 96%. Feeling really nervous for 2 days time...
EDIT: Not sure how the points are applied to my atar, but if everything has gone right with the documentation, I should be getting the maximum amount of added points. Does that mean that if I get a 94.95, I would be increased to 99.95? Again, really not sure how it all works. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure UNSW won't add 5 entire atar points due to EAS alone for medicine. I faintly remember someone saying that SEIFA bonuses could result in something like 0.2~0.5 ATAR bonuses, but I can't find it anymore.

Smelly Boy

I can be ur angle 😇 or ur devil 😈
Valued Member
To be eligible for bonus points being added, you must achieve at least a 96.00 ATAR. So even though you may be eligible for (say) +5 bonus points, it won’t mean anything unless you reach a 96.00 ATAR unfortunately :( hope you can hit a 96.00+ atar!

with UNSW med bonus points it’s a bit different to other UNSW course bonus points. With other courses you can get up to a +15 ATAR boost for various disadvantages but for med, those same disadvantages may only add up to a +3 ATAR boost (depending on type & severity of disadvantages you may have faced during year 11 & 12).

let’s see what happens in a couple days time when interview invites come out :)

A1

Rookie Doc

96%ile UCAT will require around 99.1-.2 to get UNSW interview. However scraping an interview with the lowest ATAR possible isn't satisfactory as it would give like 5-10% chance of a place offer. I'd say 99.5+ is more realistic.

Then have a read of this post > UCAT Results Discussion 2019
presumably you can get up to +3 or +4 ATAR points. As Smelly Boy points out you will need minimum 96.0 raw anyway.

sup

So uh.... just received an interview offer for USYD Double Degree Dentistry out of the blue! Anyone else get one?? Also apologies to admins, wasn't sure where to post this...
I was also surprised when I received my interview invite for double degree med on Friday, thought it wouldn't come until some time this week. Are you also a Victorian applicant? I'm assuming they sent them out to Vic applicants on the 13th as VCE results were released on the 12th
Just editing this after seeing your second post, I'm also a domestic with overseas qualifications and I've had my results since August. That's probably why we've already gotten our invites

Last edited:

96%ile UCAT will require around 99.1-.2 to get UNSW interview. However scraping an interview with the lowest ATAR possible isn't satisfactory as it would give like 5-10% chance of a place offer. I'd say 99.5+ is more realistic.

Then have a read of this post > UCAT Results Discussion 2019
presumably you can get up to +3 or +4 ATAR points. As Smelly Boy points out you will need minimum 96.0 raw anyway.

I think you're being a bit cautious with these numbers

I got an interview offer last year with a 97% umat (96 equiv ucat) + 98.9 atar - my odds of an offer were terrible but that seemed to be the toughest year to get an interview offer we've ever had in terms of raw scores. From what I remember last year on here, people said it's been trending up and we can expect that to be the new norm though - so i guess we'll wait and see

Reactions: A1
Status
Not open for further replies.