Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd USyd Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and General Discussion

Sanderson

Lurker
Hi ive accepted a bmp position at usyd and its telling me i cant enrol if i want to see if i can get upgraded but at same time saying only enrolling can secure my position. Even if ive already accepted my offer and waiting for upgrade can i lose my position? if so is there like a reasonable wait time to see if im upgraded?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi ive accepted a bmp position at usyd and its telling me i cant enrol if i want to see if i can get upgraded but at same time saying only enrolling can secure my position. Even if ive already accepted my offer and waiting for upgrade can i lose my position? if so is there like a reasonable wait time to see if im upgraded?
This is a question best answered by the USYD admissions team. Get the answer in writing if you can and let us know what the response is please! :)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey! Not sure if this is the right thread to post it on, but for those who know: if I enrol now in a USyd course with a certain major/minor and get my timetable, will I be able to change it around later on? Or will it be set?
I think changing your major is a bit of a process but can be done - you usually apply online and then someone processes the application in a few weeks from my understanding (but maybe it’s different at USYD). If you have a cutoff date to enrol then I would just enrol and then change it down the line when you need to (but it would be better if you didn’t need to at all).

worldno8

Hey! Not sure if this is the right thread to post it on, but for those who know: if I enrol now in a USyd course with a certain major/minor and get my timetable, will I be able to change it around later on? Or will it be set?
Yep, you can! I asked some USYD people who are in DDMP/DDDP. If you do med-related major/minor in 1st year, then it should be convenient to change. Arts might be more difficult though.

Tomato

No, they'll come out in January.
Congrats on your USyd DDMP admission. I think you should qualify for UNSW med as well because of your top scores in both ATAR and UCAT. If you don't mind, I am curious about the reason why you chose USyd rather than UNSW (which seems more popular to many people). Is that because you've got a Chancellor's Scholarship or you prefer to study something else before med?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Congrats on your USyd DDMP admission. I think you should qualify for UNSW med as well because of your top scores in both ATAR and UCAT. If you don't mind, I am curious about the reason why you chose USyd rather than UNSW (which seems more popular to many people). Is that because you've got a Chancellor's Scholarship or you prefer to study something else before med?
I chose USyd over UNSW for a number of reasons, principally because the DDMP (along with USyd itself) offers far more opportunities to do things outside of medicine while still, in the end, graduating with a medical degree. I know many people like to say shorter courses are better than longer courses because you get into the workforce quicker, but really I think this is a negligible factor - in the long run, for example, someone who did the DDMP could very feasibly become a consultant sooner than someone who commenced a shorter undergrad degree (e.g. WSU) at the same time, simply due to the unpredictability of getting onto training programs, finding jobs, taking time off for leave / further study and so on.

vrish

Course Type: Med
Offer Received: Yes
University: USyd DDMP, UNSW
UCAT: 99%ile
ATAR or GPA: 99.95
Special Considerations: None
Offer Type: Both CSP
Other Information: Accepted USyd, rejecting UNSW
Helmut , firstly congratulations.well done.

can you please tell me what is USyd DDMP. sorry for hijacking the thread. does Usyd also use UCAT for medical school ?

is it only for school leavers or also available for non standard pathway students?

Thanks much.

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Helmut , firstly congratulations.well done.

can you please tell me what is USyd DDMP. sorry for hijacking the thread. does Usyd also use UCAT for medical school ?

is it only for school leavers or also available for non standard pathway students?

Thanks much.
Hi vrish, the USyd DDMP stands for the Double Degree Medicine Program, which is open only to school leavers. You first do a three-year Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science, then progress into the four-year Doctor of Medicine. The USyd DDMP does not use the UCAT - the only admissions criteria are:
  1. An ATAR of 99.95 (the threshold can be slightly lower if you are approved under a disadvantage scheme e.g. EAS or E12);
  2. Satisfactory performance at the invitation-only assessment day (comprising two components — written questions, and a group interview).

Hi,
I've got an equivalent ATAR of 99.95 from UAC, and USyd told me that I would get an interview offer (Open Day). What exactly is the interview process and approx. how many students are invited for the interview?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi,
I've got an equivalent ATAR of 99.95 from UAC, and USyd told me that I would get an interview offer (Open Day). What exactly is the interview process and approx. how many students are invited for the interview?

Helmut might chip in later, for now have a read of the posts by MD in this thread
> USyd - Usyd Provisional Entry MD Interview Information

Number of interviewees is around 50-60 for 30 places although it's not preset. USyd basically invites all 99.95s (plus some E12s) so it depends how many 99.95s apply.

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Hi,
The information in A1's reply is correct, and the thread he's linked is really valuable in terms of information about the interview day so I'd recommend you have a read.
USyd has probably the best interview/place offer ratio of all the school-leaver pathways, with roughly 2/3 of interviewees receiving an offer. Usually, the written test / interview is held on campus for local applicants, with a nice tour of the campus, activities, and lunch interspersed throughout the day, but this year it appears (from USyd's website) that the interview day will be held entirely online. I'm not sure how that'll work -- I imagine they'll release more details to applicants later in the year.

The information in A1's reply is correct, and the thread he's linked is really valuable in terms of information about the interview day so I'd recommend you have a read.
USyd has probably the best interview/place offer ratio of all the school-leaver pathways, with roughly 2/3 of interviewees receiving an offer. Usually, the written test / interview is held on campus for local applicants, with a nice tour of the campus, activities, and lunch interspersed throughout the day, but this year it appears (from USyd's website) that the interview day will be held entirely online. I'm not sure how that'll work -- I imagine they'll release more details to applicants later in the year.
Helmut might chip in later, for now have a read of the posts by MD in this thread
> USyd - Usyd Provisional Entry MD Interview Information

Number of interviewees is around 50-60 for 30 places although it's not preset. USyd basically invites all 99.95s (plus some E12s) so it depends how many 99.95s apply.
Thanks!

Hi,
Since usyd has interviews prior to and after the main January offer round, does when you interview affect your chances of an offer since most offers would have been given out in the main January round on the 8th.

thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Ah ok thank you!
Sorry, one more question, if that's the case then would it not be better to interview in the later round as opposed to the earlier one as you would essentially get more time to prep?

How much time do you really need to prep, though? Some people might prefer that, while others might drive themselves a little nuts with the extra time. There’s not a set advantage to either.

It's really not something monumental that you need weeks and weeks to prepare for. If you have a read through this thread you should get an idea of what the assessment day involves: USyd - Usyd Provisional Entry MD Interview Information (with the difference, of course, that this year it will be on Zoom).
I do suppose half of the assessment day is actually a written task, which I'm sure we've all had a fair share in doing. The interview is pretty chill and conversational in nature from what I've heard so, as long as you speak clearly and confidently and mean what you say, you'll probably be a-ok.

fluffyboy

BMS/MD I
Hi! So, I'm aware that USYD has rural placements available, but from what I've found they haven't specified about bonded places. My question is, if they do have bonded places, how are they determined? Is it like Griffith provisional where the bottom 28.5% of the cohort (according to GPA) after the undergraduate degree is bonded?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Hi! So, I'm aware that USYD has rural placements available, but from what I've found they haven't specified about bonded places. My question is, if they do have bonded places, how are they determined? Is it like Griffith provisional where the bottom 28.5% of the cohort (according to GPA) after the undergraduate degree is bonded?
Double-degree Medicine students are given CSPs automatically.