Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Looking After a Dog While Studying Medicine

whys

Hi guys, I know this is a pretty early time to be thinking about this, however, curiosity got the better of me. While studying medicine and the years after, is it unrealistic to also be looking after a dog? I searched online and people seem to recommend cats for professions such as doctors. If anyone has any dogs and is currently studying med or is a doctor, what breed of dog do you own and how difficult is it to look after one? Do you have the time for him/her or are you aided by a family member?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
This is really a similar question to whether people have time to work / maintain other hobbies when they’re studying. The answer is generally yes!

I will say (assuming you don’t already own a dog) that you must be ready for the commitment before you go ahead with it (this usually means a 10-15 year commitment). Dogs deserve owners who will dedicate sufficient time and energy towards them. If you think you’ll be too busy, then don’t get one. If you don’t think you’ll have time/energy for a dog that requires regular exercise, then make sure you get a breed that isn’t highly dependent on exercise.

I’d say test out how you cope with university first before making any solid commitment. Keep in mind that your schedule in preclinical years will be much more flexible than in clinical years, which will be more flexible than when you’re working as a doctor.

whys

Thank you both! I was just worried as I've heard in internship and further years shifts can get very long...
I've had a dog in the past and want one later on, so thank you for the info :)

I think it would be highly dependant on the breed! I would recommend a greyhound. They sleep all day and require very little exercise, don’t bark, don’t smell and are generally just super chill dogs.

whys

Sorry whys, it's pretty widely believed that cat owners simply make better doctors than dog owners.
I'm sure this isn't biased at all... 🤔 Cats are cool and all, but dogs are perfect!

I think it would be highly dependant on the breed! I would recommend a greyhound. They sleep all day and require very little exercise, don’t bark, don’t smell and are generally just super chill dogs.
Yeah, I've been looking into greyhounds. Thanks for the pointer!

chinaski

Thank you both! I was just worried as I've heard in internship and further years shifts can get very long...

If you're living alone then it can be challenging to be sole carer. Problem with work after finishing med school is that it's not predictable - you can't guarantee you'll be home at a certain time every day, and there is also the issue of rostered evening and weekend overtime shifts and night shifts. In short, there's not a lot of predictability and routine you can rely upon. Many of my dog-owning colleagues use doggy day care services for this reason. Bear in mind also that the nature of being on a temporary contract for years while you train means that it's very possible you'll move several times over those years - finding rentals appropriate for and willing to accept a pet can be difficult. Rural secondments may also be an issue for some.

ETA: Would also add that this is all in context of getting an adult dog. I would say that if you're thinking about getting a puppy, then it would be impossible to look after it properly whilst working as a JMO if you didn't have other people contributing to its care.

Last edited:

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
try not to have a puppy unless u can really spedn a lot of itme w them - for bonding and for training and for cleaning up lil unhappy accidents!!!

Sorry whys, it's pretty widely believed that cat owners simply make better doctors than dog owners.
Because people who prefer cats prefer to be owned? 🤔Hmmm I guess that makes sense🤣 The pursuit of Medicine pretty much means you're owned for exponentially longer than with most other vocations😏