Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: General Entry Questions and Discussion

Update: ITFT is good but Matthews is not as bad as everyone says (Plus its far more convenient than the countless sets of stairs it takes to get from upper to lower campus)

bamber g

By 2021 I’ll have one FTE year at university but I don’t have an ATAR as I did year 11 and 12 in Canada and didn’t do any kind of equivalent. I want to apply for UNSW but does anyone know whether I can apply with just my GPA ? thanks!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
By 2021 I’ll have one FTE year at university but I don’t have an ATAR as I did year 11 and 12 in Canada and didn’t do any kind of equivalent. I want to apply for UNSW but does anyone know whether I can apply with just my GPA ? thanks!

You will need to contact UNSW directly to find out what they will require (if anything) to ensure your eligibility. We have only had one person here in the past ~3-4 years in this situation and they contacted the Uni directly to find out what they’d need to do (their issue was not having an ATAR as they’d never completed year 12 many years ago).

bamber g

You will need to contact UNSW directly to find out what they will require (if anything) to ensure your eligibility. We have only had one person here in the past ~3-4 years in this situation and they contacted the Uni directly to find out what they’d need to do (their issue was not having an ATAR as they’d never completed year 12 many years ago).
Thought I’d see if anyone had been in the same boat (or similar) but I guess not really haha! I did just send a message to them so will wait to hear back then ! Thank you!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thought I’d see if anyone had been in the same boat (or similar) but I guess not really haha! I did just send a message to them so will wait to hear back then ! Thank you!

i can’t remember the outcome off the top of my head for the other person, but I have a vague feeling something was worked out for them so good luck!

A1

Rookie Doc

UNSW med applications are via UAC, I'm fairly sure UAC will use your Canadian Y11/12 to convert to an ATAR equivalent then combine 50/50 with your GPA.

This would be done free after you pay UAC the med application fee. If you don't mind paying UAC $130 they can do a private assessment so you know in advance, google UAC QAS for details.

Some guy

Absolutely check with UAC - when someone has complicated previous tertiary studies it's easy for UAC to interpret those grades in a way you might not like (as initially happened to me in 2019). The last thing you want is to score well in aptitude testing and interviews, then miss out due to some weird interpretation of your high school marks or GPA.

On the positive side UAC is very helpful if you call them re possible miscalculations, and will genuinely review your case if asked.

bamber g

UNSW med applications are via UAC, I'm fairly sure UAC will use your Canadian Y11/12 to convert to an ATAR equivalent then combine 50/50 with your GPA.

This would be done free after you pay UAC the med application fee. If you don't mind paying UAC $130 they can do a private assessment so you know in advance, google UAC QAS for details.
Ah okay, was hoping my high school grades wouldn’t count because they’re not all that great (I wasn’t planning on going to uni) but my uni grades are much better haha ! UNSW isn’t my first preference anyway so I’ll wait for their response and see what happens I suppose! Thanks for the info though, makes more sense now!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Ah okay, was hoping my high school grades wouldn’t count because they’re not all that great (I wasn’t planning on going to uni) but my uni grades are much better haha ! UNSW isn’t my first preference anyway so I’ll wait for their response and see what happens I suppose! Thanks for the info though, makes more sense now!

oh yeah, sorry, I read your reply before as not having done yrs 11 & 12 at all, sorry! That was the case with the other person I was talking about. I did yr 12 a gazillion years ago (before ATAR was a thing) and UNSW still converted it.

Eleanor Rigby

I have been following this thread & understand that UNSW considers an applicant's ATAR and GPA. This applies to 'Non-standards applicants' applying through the 'local/domestic applications'. I am wondering if a contributor to this forum can tell me more about 'Rural applications' particularly concerning the GPA. Let's say the applicant has an ATAR of at least 91.45 which I gather is on most of the universities' websites that offer a rural entry scheme, what GPA does an applicant need to stay competitive ? I am considering if I should apply or abandon. ✍

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I have been following this thread & understand that UNSW considers an applicant's ATAR and GPA. This applies to 'Non-standards applicants' applying through the 'local/domestic applications'. I am wondering if a contributor to this forum can tell me more about 'Rural applications' particularly concerning the GPA. Let's say the applicant has an ATAR of at least 91.45 which I gather is on most of the universities' websites that offer a rural entry scheme, what GPA does an applicant need to stay competitive ? I am considering if I should apply or abandon. ✍

the only rural non-standard offers we had reported here last year were for GPA 6.50 and 6.25. Neither user provided their ATAR. Both had lowish UCATs.

It might be more useful to check the interview thread, there might be more data there. ETA2: unfortunately there wasn’t really.

ETA: the 6.25 had an ATAR of 95.2, I think.

Eleanor Rigby

the only rural non-standard offers we had reported here last year were for GPA 6.50 and 6.25. Neither user provided their ATAR. Both had lowish UCATs.

It might be more useful to check the interview thread, there might be more data there.
Thank you. I will do so.:)

Eleanor Rigby

It might be more useful to check the interview thread, there might be more data there. ETA2: unfortunately there wasn’t really.

ETA: the 6.25 had an ATAR of 95.2, I think.
Okay, will take note of estimations. Thank you again. ✍

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

My perception of UNSW's approach is that after this ATAR/GPA combination you are simply placed into the same pool of applicants as the school leavers. If this is a correct assumption then you absolutely have a chance given a good tertiary record.

With an ATAR of 91.45 and a GPA of 6.5+ will bring your equivalent academic mark to a 95.475 ATAR using this table: Non-standard Medicine Entry, which may be competitive enough given a good ucat and interview (last year we had a rural CSP offer ATAR: 95.35, UCAT: 2660, RA2)

Given that this offer was a CSP with a mediocre UCAT means that you might be able to scrape by with a lower GPA, but you will be well served boosting your academic record either way.

It might be worth emailing UNSW directly and asking them if non standards are placed in the same pool

Eleanor Rigby

My perception of UNSW's approach is that after this ATAR/GPA combination you are simply placed into the same pool of applicants as the school leavers. If this is a correct assumption then you absolutely have a chance given a good tertiary record.

With an ATAR of 91.45 and a GPA of 6.5+ will bring your equivalent academic mark to a 95.475 ATAR using this table: Non-standard Medicine Entry, which may be competitive enough given a good ucat and interview (last year we had a rural CSP offer ATAR: 95.35, UCAT: 2660, RA2)

Given that this offer was a CSP with a mediocre UCAT means that you might be able to scrape by with a lower GPA, but you will be well served boosting your academic record either way.

It might be worth emailing UNSW directly and asking them if non standards are placed in the same pool
Thank you for your reply. Will wait until I sit & receive my UCAT score in July; compare in October against the UCAT ANZ Consortium statistics, weigh up my chances & contact UNSW asking them directly. :)