Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

International Students: Medicine Interview General Discussion

Just wondering if any of you has received an offer for an interview at WSU. I got mine for UNSW a week ago but has not heard anything from WSU. If anyone has any information that would be appreciated too.

Hi everyone!

I recently received an interview as an international student for JCU's MBBS course. I was wondering if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or topics on how to go about preparing for the interview and the admission selection process?

Thank you!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi everyone!

I recently received an interview as an international student for JCU's MBBS course. I was wondering if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or topics on how to go about preparing for the interview and the admission selection process?

Thank you!

This thread is aimed at domestic applicants, but will no doubt be useful for you as well. Good luck with the interview :)

AceMed

Hello. I just received my ISAT results today and I wouldnt say i did very well. 160 (CR) 189 (QR) 174 (OVR). This puts me at ~65 percentile. May I know what exactly are my chances of getting an interview offer/admission into either Monash or UNSW? (Q worried that my ISAT may pull me down.)

AceMed

Hi, I'm an international student applying to Monash Uni Direct Entry programme for Medicine. Any idea when will Monash start to release interview offers for international students? I understand that due to the current Covid situation there may be some kind of a delay...

BoarVessel

Valued Member
Soo I just took my ISAT yesterday

Hey,

If I understand correctly, you already took the ISAT exam. I was wondering what score you got after getting those few questions wrong? I got a 181 and received an offer from UTAS but really want one from UWA.

patlim9

Hi,

Hope you all r well! Just wondering whether any of u hv interviewed with UNSW or received an offer from them yet?? Or any updates from any other universities (interview offers, etc). Would be nice to keep each other in the loop and share info as we are in similar positions:)

AceMed

Hi,

Hope you all r well! Just wondering whether any of u hv interviewed with UNSW or received an offer from them yet?? Or any updates from any other universities (interview offers, etc). Would be nice to keep each other in the loop and share info as we are in similar positions:)

Hi, I have received an offer from UNSW for an online interview. Hopefully it would work out :)

jyjy863

Hey guys! I understand that you guys must be really nervous! I have one student doing his UNSW interview on 14/7, but most of the others are scheduled in August. Monash interviews were released yesterday for most I believe. Hope this helps you guys :)

katsicum

Hello. I just received my ISAT results today and I wouldnt say i did very well. 160 (CR) 189 (QR) 174 (OVR). This puts me at ~65 percentile. May I know what exactly are my chances of getting an interview offer/admission into either Monash or UNSW? (Q worried that my ISAT may pull me down.)
Hi, could I please ask how you practiced for the ISAT? Did you have private coaching, online coaching or anything? Also where did you get all the resources from? I wish to sit the ISAT next year but have no idea what to start with. Thanks!

AceMed

Hi, could I please ask how you practiced for the ISAT? Did you have private coaching, online coaching or anything? Also where did you get all the resources from? I wish to sit the ISAT next year but have no idea what to start with. Thanks!

hello. Yes i actlly found my ISAT practices online. Just did as many practice questions as i could and sit for as many full papers as possible. I think the main thing you should focus on is trying to concentrate and focus to do questions over the span of 3 hours. It can get reallyyy tiring after a while...

mso1@

Hey guys! I understand that you guys must be really nervous! I have one student doing his UNSW interview on 14/7, but most of the others are scheduled in August. Monash interviews were released yesterday for most I believe. Hope this helps you guys :)

Do you guys know if we have a second round of interview offer as well for Monash and UNSW?

Just got mine yesterday

hey i applied to UWA as well. Do you know if interview offers are out for UWA yet?

jyjy863

Do you guys know if we have a second round of interview offer as well for Monash and UNSW?

hey i applied to UWA as well. Do you know if interview offers are out for UWA yet?

As far as I know, Monash usually has another round of interviews and offers in November. I am not 100% sure for UNSW as this years interviews have been scheduled later than last year and I'm not sure if that's affected anything!

Also, I don't think UWA has released results yet :)

BoarVessel

Valued Member

Yo they (UWA) told me they cancelled the interviews and instead I had to give the CASPer Test on 16th July. They said there are no interviews for international students this year and they'll give the offer based on the CASPer instead. However, if you are already in Australia but applying as an international, then I'm not sure.

Also, if you have not given the ISAT yet they'll probably be waiting for those results (they come out like 2 days after you give the test) to give you an interview (or CASPer) offer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the next ISAT round is in August and hopefully you'll be able to take it in this COVID-19 situation. Otherwise, the 20 seats that they have for internationals might be gone :(

Last edited by a moderator:

mso1@

Yo they (UWA) told me they cancelled the interviews and instead I had to give the CASPer Test on 16th July. They said there are no interviews for international students this year and they'll give the offer based on the CASPer instead. However, if you are already in Australia but applying as an international, then I'm not sure.

Also, if you have not given the ISAT yet they'll probably be waiting for those results (they come out like 2 days after you give the test) to give you an interview (or CASPer) offer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the next ISAT round is in August and hopefully you'll be able to take it in this COVID-19 situation. Otherwise, the 20 seats that they have for internationals might be gone :(

thanks for the info. yeah i haven't heard of them about Casper yet. so hopefully i have not missed out. yes I on shore and have the ISAT scheduled next month in victoria regional centre. so hopefully covid-19 does not affect the test.

jyjy863

thanks for the info. yeah i haven't heard of them about Casper yet. so hopefully i have not missed out. yes I on shore and have the ISAT scheduled next month in victoria regional centre. so hopefully covid-19 does not affect the test.

I think the worst case scenario would be taking the ISAT online at home if the covid situation doesn't improve in Victoria as that's what most of my students had to endure. I will say that it was not an ideal situation for a lot of them due to technical issues.

UWA might be waiting on you to submit your ISAT results first but I wonder if there will be a 2nd round of the casper test as there was only one date available on the 16th. You might want to contact them to ask :)

missyallie

hi international friends! i plan to sit ISAT 2 weeks later in Australia. Seems like everyone is worrying the same thing. A while ago, I received an email saying that the venue will be postponed but I have no idea what exactly this means; whether I will be sitting it at home or in a test centre. Perhaps its just a change of test centre.. Not to alarm u guys, but I heard from my friend also in Australia that she did the ISAT at home in June-July and the invigilator was really disruptive by repeatedly video-calling her in the middle of the exam to check that 'all was okay, etc'..

To reply to one of the questions, I think if you are already in Australia but applying as an international, its considered international anyway... Because that's what I'm doing actually...

Does anyone know what's a "good enough" mark for ISAT for an international applicant to Monash or UNSW medicine? I have seniors who got in with 90th percentile, but obviously that's one extreme.. and they applied a few years ago so may be outdated. I wonder if COVID has raised or lowered the bar..

Also, there's miserable resources to get an accurate idea of ISAT. I love u if anyone can share questions or maybe even do a group study thing online lol :lol:

jyjy863

hi international friends! i plan to sit ISAT 2 weeks later in Australia. Seems like everyone is worrying the same thing. A while ago, I received an email saying that the venue will be postponed but I have no idea what exactly this means; whether I will be sitting it at home or in a test centre. Perhaps its just a change of test centre.. Not to alarm u guys, but I heard from my friend also in Australia that she did the ISAT at home in June-July and the invigilator was really disruptive by repeatedly video-calling her in the middle of the exam to check that 'all was okay, etc'..

To reply to one of the questions, I think if you are already in Australia but applying as an international, its considered international anyway... Because that's what I'm doing actually...

Does anyone know what's a "good enough" mark for ISAT for an international applicant to Monash or UNSW medicine? I have seniors who got in with 90th percentile, but obviously that's one extreme.. and they applied a few years ago so may be outdated. I wonder if COVID has raised or lowered the bar..

Also, there's miserable resources to get an accurate idea of ISAT. I love u if anyone can share questions or maybe even do a group study thing online lol :lol:
Hello!!

Based on what I've seen thus far, UNSW have extended offers to interviewers with ISAT scores of 174 and above. Monash interviews are currently ongoing, so no one knows where the bar is yet, but those with ISAT scores of 170 and above (and who have met the other requirements) all received interview invites! But based on past experiences, a score in the 80% and up (about 179 and above) is more than sufficient to receive offers from both schools.

Some of my students did the ISAT from home and I received drastically different recounts of their experience. One told me it went well and fine, no disruptions but another had a downright awful experience. He was offered a test that was at 11pm at night in his timezone, had the test crash on him, was stuck with support staff for hours, and ultimately had to completely retake his ISAT on another day after staying up till like 2am. The 2nd time he completed the test went fine though.

missyallie

Hello!!

Based on what I've seen thus far, UNSW have extended offers to interviewers with ISAT scores of 174 and above. Monash interviews are currently ongoing, so no one knows where the bar is yet, but those with ISAT scores of 170 and above (and who have met the other requirements) all received interview invites! But based on past experiences, a score in the 80% and up (about 179 and above) is more than sufficient to receive offers from both schools.

Some of my students did the ISAT from home and I received drastically different recounts of their experience. One told me it went well and fine, no disruptions but another had a downright awful experience. He was offered a test that was at 11pm at night in his timezone, had the test crash on him, was stuck with support staff for hours, and ultimately had to completely retake his ISAT on another day after staying up till like 2am. The 2nd time he completed the test went fine though.
Sounds like a real ordeal and gamble to do the exam at home haha. I was hoping it would be more conducive actually, but anyways, will see how it goes. Thanks for sharing! :)