Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Bond Medicine: September Admission Point

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
Alert: There is an additional Sept entry point from this year at Bond. Posting this in case this is of some benefit to folks on this forum. This is indeed a good development giving additional flexibility. Best wishes all.

Source: Somebody in the Bond program alerted me to this email from the Dean "In an exciting innovation for the Bond Medical Program, we are in discussion with the Australian Medical Council (AMC) to potentially offer a September admission point into Medicine. This entry route is in addition to our existing May admission."

JJS

BMedSt/MD
Hey, I just want to let you know that as it currently stands, it appears that this entry point is only available to the commencing 2020 cohort. The offering for this admission point was due to the current situation surrounding COVID-19 and based off of the following statement below, I would assume this is a once-off occurrence.

"Our reason for offering the September intake in 2020 is to provide more flexibility and choice for students who may be experiencing difficulty commencing in May due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

However, since they have received approval from the AMC, there could possibly be a September admission point in the future if that approval was extended.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey, I just want to let you know that as it currently stands, it appears that this entry point is only available to the commencing 2020 cohort. The offering for this admission point was due to the current situation surrounding COVID-19 and based off of the following statement below, I would assume this is a once-off occurrence.

"Our reason for offering the September intake in 2020 is to provide more flexibility and choice for students who may be experiencing difficulty commencing in May due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

However, since they have received approval from the AMC, there could possibly be a September admission point in the future if that approval was extended.
How are they planning to run the program for another set of students in a different timeline to all of the others? Are these additional places to the usual intake? Has Bond found extra clinical placements for these students and what’s the size of the intake?

Reactions: JJS

JJS

BMedSt/MD
How are they planning to run the program for another set of students in a different timeline to all of the others? Are these additional places to the usual intake? Has Bond found extra clinical placements for these students and what’s the size of the intake?

Hey Crow, the information provided has indicated that the course will cover the same content and be of the same duration (4 Years 8 months), with those choosing this option graduating in March/April 2025. This will allow them to begin internship mid-year or 2026 if they choose to take the remaining year off.

In terms of intake, no information has been provided to suggest that new students will be admitted, only that this is an option to the students admitted for the current May 2020 start date specifically because of the current situation, as indicated in a prior post. The reason this was added was to allow students more flexibility since situations may have changed in regards to family commitments/finances. Since no new students are to be admitted I would assume no extra clinical placements have been found.

That's all the information that we have been provided with, but I just wanted to bring transparency to the situation more than just "he said, she said" which could really disappoint prospective students.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks for the info JJS :) So this is actually just an option for those who have already been accepted into the 2020 intake? I.e. there's no additional admissions process that will be occurring / second opportunity for those who missed out the first time around?

Reactions: JJS

JJS

BMedSt/MD
Thanks for the info JJS :) So this is actually just an option for those who have already been accepted into the 2020 intake? I.e. there's no additional admissions process that will be occurring / second opportunity for those who missed out the first time around?

Hi Crow, I'm so sorry that it's taken me so long to respond. As you may of seen by now that there was an additional intake of approx. 20 - 30 students for the September intake. We were not informed of any new students being admitted, and only got clarification based on students receiving offers. As of the current date, rumour has it that there will be approx. 35-40 students in the September intake with about 10 of those students having received first round offers in March but deferring their start. If there's any further info, i'll keep you updated 👍

Also probably thought I should add a disclaimer that I do not represent Bond and any questions about admissions should be addressed to the faculty of HSM.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi Crow, I'm so sorry that it's taken me so long to respond. As you may of seen by now that there was an additional intake of approx. 20 - 30 students for the September intake. We were not informed of any new students being admitted, and only got clarification based on students receiving offers. As of the current date, rumour has it that there will be approx. 35-40 students in the September intake with about 10 of those students having received first round offers in March but deferring their start. If there's any further info, i'll keep you updated 👍

Also probably thought I should add a disclaimer that I do not represent Bond and any questions about admissions should be addressed to the faculty of HSM.

do you know whether there is also a portion of the 2020 cohort who have decided not to start the degree at all for whatever reason (possibly financial)? Ie. the possibility that at least a portion of the 20-30 new offers are to ‘make up’ for a percentage who have, in essence, ‘dropped out’? Possibly not at all, but just wondering... (/procrastinating!!)

A1

Rookie Doc
Ie. the possibility that at least a portion of the 20-30 new offers are to ‘make up’ for a percentage who have, in essence, ‘dropped out’?

Bond is not subject to a federal gov quota but I believe they do have a quota agreement with the Qld government i.e. Bond cannot increase places at will. This 10yo news article mentioned the agreement

> First doctors from Bond University are ready to begin their rounds

"The dean of medicine at Bond University said ... the majority of them (graduates) benefited from a Queensland Health Department initiative guaranteeing internships for all graduates in a planned response to an overall doctor shortage."

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Bond is not subject to a federal gov quota but I believe they do have a quota agreement with the Qld government i.e. Bond cannot increase places at will. This 10yo news article mentioned the agreement

> First doctors from Bond University are ready to begin their rounds

"The dean of medicine at Bond University said ... the majority of them (graduates) benefited from a Queensland Health Department initiative guaranteeing internships for all graduates in a planned response to an overall doctor shortage."

yeah, that’s kind of along the lines of what I was wondering (Ie. what the possibilities were for explanations for this top-up). If Bond had more than their usual amount of people ‘drop out’ due to the crazy start to the year, have they tried to recoup some of the lost $$ by topping up rather than just creating new spots on top of existing spots?

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
yeah, that’s kind of along the lines of what I was wondering (Ie. what the possibilities were for explanations for this top-up). If Bond had more than their usual amount of people ‘drop out’ due to the crazy start to the year, have they tried to recoup some of the lost $$ by topping up rather than just creating new spots on top of existing spots?
These are not confirmed officially. I have seen a webinar of the Dean talking about seeking an agreement with Qld Health to offer a number of training positions mid-year. It seems that is what the Dean was working towards in April 2020. Also, it seems to have broken the year long courses into semester courses so that if one fails a course, they do not need to repeat the whole year. They can now repeat the semester. It is not very clear but it seems both May and September entries will be available to future students from next year.

JJS

BMedSt/MD
do you know whether there is also a portion of the 2020 cohort who have decided not to start the degree at all for whatever reason (possibly financial)? Ie. the possibility that at least a portion of the 20-30 new offers are to ‘make up’ for a percentage who have, in essence, ‘dropped out’? Possibly not at all, but just wondering... (/procrastinating!!)

I haven't heard or seen anything that would suggest that. I know of 1 student that received an offer for the May semester about 3-4 weeks ago which would suggest a student had decided to 'drop out', but other then that it appears that everyone else has stayed. I completely understand as well because it seemed a bit out of the blue, but everything has been approved by the AMC so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out!

Also, it seems to have broken the year long courses into semester courses so that if one fails a course, they do not need to repeat the whole year. They can now repeat the semester. It is not very clear but it seems both May and September entries will be available to future students from next year.

We have been informed about courses being broken into semesters; however, our assessment outline for this year still indicates that we are doing yearly examinations, so I guess that is something that will change when the September cohort begins I assume? In terms of future entry points, we assume that this is a once off (I quoted an email received by admissions in an earlier post) due to COVID-19, but again who knows honestly ahaha. I would strongly suggest that prospective students contact the faculty for any queries regarding future admission pathways :)

MatCat

Hi everyone, I just contacted the Bond faculty regarding the September intake for the Medical Program. Apparently, there is no ‘new’ September intake and most likely, I don’t think this will be available to future students from next year. However that said, there is a September intake this year, but these are for the small number of students (around 20-30) who were not able to join the May intake (due to possible reasons such as remote learning difficulties, financial issues and so on).

To sum up the information given to me, these are the students who already received offers for the Medical program for the May intake, but due to this pandemic, they had to delay the start of the program (until September intake for this year) due to the restrictions placed upon them. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I just contacted the Bond faculty regarding the September intake for the Medical Program. Apparently, there is no ‘new’ September intake and most likely, I don’t think this will be available to future students from next year. However that said, there is a September intake this year, but these are for the small number of students (around 20-30) who were not able to join the May intake (due to possible reasons such as remote learning difficulties, financial issues and so on).

To sum it up, these are the students who already received offers for the Medical program for the May intake, but due to this pandemic, they had to delay the start of the program (until September intake for this year) due to the restrictions placed upon them. :)

I just got offered a September spot and I wasn't offered a May one so I'm not sure on the validity of this.

To sum up the information given to me, these are the students who already received offers for the Medical program for the May intake, but due to this pandemic, they had to delay the start of the program (until September intake for this year) due to the restrictions placed upon them. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)
I also received an offer for the September intake without receiving an offer in May.

Med2019

MD 3 Bond University
Does anybody know if there is a Facebook/Messenger group for Sept Entry ppl or 1st years?
Hello

Do you know how to join the fb group chat?

Thanks
hey ! Im not too sure about a groupchat for september entry but I'm in the first year groupchat and would be more than happy to add you ! feel free to send me dm on here and I'll add you to it :) Congrats on getting in once again guys !